Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Baseball Card Movie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
Just watched this on youtube, thought you guys might enjoy as well.....

[youtube:cwrkmug4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IB50RaBBe0[/youtube:cwrkmug4]

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
G $MONEY$ said:
chashawk said:
You know, that should have been cool to watch, but it was actually kind of depressing.

really? how come?

Idk. Just watching people throw their money away I guess. I stopped busting wax last year when I realized how much $$ I was flushing. Like that one customer said, "I'm a collector, ya know?" If he's a collector, why doesn't he just buy the cards he wants? Idk, maybe I'm biased bc I stopped busting wax. I think it kinda got to me too that several of the customers knew they were going to lose money, yet opened the boxes anyway.

Plus looking around at that guys shelves too. $75 for Timelines. $100 for Co-Signers. $100 for UD Heroes. It's no small wonder why so many Hobby Shops have gone out of business.

I did appreciate the owner's honesty though. "If you wanna get rich, go sell real estate." Classic line.

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
"the kids are out"
Ye a little depressing. Especially since that reminds me of the old shop in Penn Yan. I'd rather do a $30 1998 Topps Chrome nostalgic break.

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
chashawk said:
MOFNY said:
"the kids are out"
Ye a little depressing. Especially since that reminds me of the old shop in Penn Yan. I'd rather do a $30 1998 Topps Chrome nostalgic break.

I'll bet he charges you $70 for it :lol:
Hell I can do 1999 Bowman Chrome (PREMIUM STUFF) for $70. :lol:

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
One thing that he said and is probably why he is still in business..

If a customer is buying 3 boxes, he sells one of them at cost, and the other two he makes a little money on..

I will rip some boxes from my local shop knowing I won't make money, but the fact that when I am buying boxes, maybe he can stay in business that much longer.. He appreciates it, and lets me know.. He also will give me a discount on boxes from time to time..

Alot of the card shops have been closing and the one I go to has been in business for over 25 years. I hope that by me going there, some new collectors will have the chance to go there instead of buying everything online..

My wife says it's like a bar.. I stop by and BS with the other regulars, but I don't waste my money on booze.. That I actually have something to show for it (as little as it is). She has me grab a box of Chrome to rip when it comes out as she like the shiny cards.. especially the nice GOLD ones.. :D

XdanX

Aug 7, 2008
cgilmo said:
the hobby is losing its social aspect

it used to be a people business ya know

I long for the return of the card shop.

but would you pay more at the shop for the same product? i know i do cause i like the interaction and the atmosphere of talking cards and wahtnot

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
ThoseBackPages said:
chashawk said:
Which box was he selling at cost?

Customer bought:
2008 Topps Co-Signers
2008 UD Heroes Baseball
Total - $175 after the owner's $25 "break"

eBay Co-Signers $44

eBay Heroes $44

Total - $88 + $16 s&h = $104

I love my local shop, but this is why they are closing.

im guessing these were not $44 each when they were released

They also weren't $100 that I recall. I understand the guy is trying to run a business, but by the time Ultimate Collection came out, Co-Signers boxes were def. not $100.

I was just pointing out that this is 1 reason why ppl don't buy as much from shops anymore.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
XdanX said:
cgilmo said:
the hobby is losing its social aspect

it used to be a people business ya know

I long for the return of the card shop.

but would you pay more at the shop for the same product? i know i do cause i like the interaction and the atmosphere of talking cards and wahtnot

I love my local shop too Gilmore, just not their wax prices.
I pretty much go there to hang out and BS with the owner, and he's cool with that.
He knows that he can't compete with eBay for wax, but he sells singles from the wax he busts on eBay, and he prices his singles in the store accordingly. When I have bought PC cards from him, he's never once tried to "Beckett" me, which is one of the biggest complaints we still hear about shops and shows.

Members online