Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Joe DiMaggio - latest custom autograph cut card

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
So here is the latest of my customs...Joltin' Joe DiMaggio style.

dimaggio-mockup.jpg

The autograph is about 3.6" wide therefore forcing me to put it at a slight angle to make sure it will fit properly on a standard sized card, although I toyed with the idea of making it a "tall boy" size.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
caseya10781 said:
Awe! Some!

That is one fantastic looking card man, truly great work.

I love the background pictures you used.

Casey
Thanks, these are a blast to do and have really become the focus of my collection recently.

The photos worked well, and it actually turned out better than I expected due to the awkward shape/size of the autograph.

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
Nice job on that one! Have you thought about making them bigger than the standard card size, like maybe 8x10? I've seen 8x10 photos paired with an autographed notecard in a frame, but with your design skills you could incorporate the cut into an 8x10 photo or 8x10 collage similar to the designs you make for the smaller cards. I don't think I've ever seen something like that, and it would be truly unique.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
mrwhitesox30 said:
Nice job on that one! Have you thought about making them bigger than the standard card size, like maybe 8x10? I've seen 8x10 photos paired with an autographed notecard in a frame, but with your design skills you could incorporate the cut into an 8x10 photo or 8x10 collage similar to the designs you make for the smaller cards. I don't think I've ever seen something like that, and it would be truly unique.
To me, there is just a "feel" about a baseball card, that an 8x10 doesn't have. Also, these customs are roughly 100pt thick (like a patch card) so it's a great feeling card when it's done. Plus, these have full backs as well, although I rarely show the mock-ups of the backs.

Regardless, it's an interesting idea and I may try that with a Bill Nicholson photo and autograph to see how a 5x7 works out. It would be a single-sided piece, just a "frame" around one of Nicholson's standard large 3x5 autographs.

wideright

Aug 7, 2008
Great design, Mike! I really hope you do cutouts of his name, I'm sure you're not but it looks awesome with the shadows. The slanted cut looks great too. Man, that just barely fit. Nice job getting it all on.

LOVIN THE CUT YOU DID FOR ME!!!!! FOR EVERYONE THIS WAS DONE BY MIKE!!!!!!

13.jpg

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
Have you ever though about sticking one on Ebay .01 auction style and seeing what it got? I think they look amazing and could get popular quick among collectors.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
wideright said:
Great design, Mike! I really hope you do cutouts of his name, I'm sure you're not but it looks awesome with the shadows. The slanted cut looks great too. Man, that just barely fit. Nice job getting it all on.
The "shadows" in the name is simply an effect on the type and cutting it out would look a lot different...worse I believe simply due to the lack of the holes in the "O", "A", and "D". Regardless, I have a few things up my sleeve that I'm trying out...so this idea isn't that far off.

Big Mac McGwire said:
LOVIN THE CUT YOU DID FOR ME!!!!! FOR EVERYONE THIS WAS DONE BY MIKE!!!!!!
Glad you like it, that McGwire signature shape is tough, tough, tough to work with

Musial Collector said:
Very nice. BTW I have a Teddy Ballgame incoming that we will have to chat about.
Sounds good, as long as the Williams signature isn't really wide. The back of this DiMaggio actually features a Ted Williams quote.

AKA Coastal said:
Have you ever though about sticking one on Ebay .01 auction style and seeing what it got? I think they look amazing and could get popular quick among collectors.
I haven't, and frankly, the way eBay seems to be running these days I'd be hesitant the think it would go for much anyways. Also, it would probably be in my best interest to get anything I wanted to sell slabbed by JSA...even though I know the autograph is good. Although it's a thought, especially with this one. Of note, one of the customs that I had done for a board member is currently up on eBay.

Anyway, thanks again for the comments guys...I really appreciate it. This has really rejuvenated the hobby for me.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
While the cut out theme is cool in theory, it would definitely look less cool in real life; however, embossing the letters printed with the same effect may look pretty cool.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
BunchOBull said:
While the cut out theme is cool in theory, it would definitely look less cool in real life; however, embossing the letters printed with the same effect may look pretty cool.
I don't doubt that actually embossing the letters would look great, but is virtually impossible without getting a custom "one off" die specific for this one card. And at roughly $250 for that die, it's not in my best interest.

I would also love to do spot varnishes, spot satin, laminates and foil on these, but with a single card as the production run it is simply too expensive.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
200lbhockeyplayer said:
Musial Collector said:
Very nice. BTW I have a Teddy Ballgame incoming that we will have to chat about.
Sounds good, as long as the Williams signature isn't really wide. The back of this DiMaggio actually features a Ted Williams quote.

It should be here either tomorrow or Tuesday.
By the looks of it, it will be very close.
Fingers crossed as I think it would look nice next to the three below.
:D

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Musial Collector said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:
[quote="Musial Collector":2n5o9t88]Very nice. BTW I have a Teddy Ballgame incoming that we will have to chat about.

It should be here either tomorrow or Tuesday.
By the looks of it, it will be very close.
Fingers crossed as I think it would look nice next to the three below.
:D[/quote:2n5o9t88]
Either way, we can probably make it work.

The DiMaggio signature was too wide if it was perfectly straight, so to accommodate the width I just laid it out with a slight angle.

caseya10781

Aug 7, 2008
Tennessee
200lbhockeyplayer said:
caseya10781 said:
Awe! Some!

That is one fantastic looking card man, truly great work.

I love the background pictures you used.

Casey
Thanks, these are a blast to do and have really become the focus of my collection recently.

The photos worked well, and it actually turned out better than I expected due to the awkward shape/size of the autograph.

You're work is so nice and well made I might have to work a deal with you (if interested) to make me a custom from the Will Venable signed note card I bought to make a custom myself. The designs you come up with and your craftsmanship are WAY better than mine.

Shoot me a PM if you'd be interested.

Casey

Latest posts