Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone ever struggle finding a focus for collecting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
I currently am - both for individual collections and my overall collection as a whole.

I always have my Sammy Sosa and David Wright player collections, but I just can't find a focus for either right now. For Sosa I occasionally go after GU (have over 50 now), but I also enjoy inserts from the 90s and early 2000s. However, my collection is disorganized to the point that I lose track of what I have. Wright's cards are fairly expensive and out of range for me right now, especially his autographs.

Earlier today I had another idea....something I don't need! After buying quite a bit of 2008-09 UD Basketball packs and enjoying the thrill of a nice insert, I thought about revitalizing my star base/insert collections, both in basketball and baseball. That was how I collected and as kid. There was limited trading back then and all I had were retail packs. I kept every base and insert card of star players I pulled in binders, which I still have today. I wouldn't be able to go after extremely "rare" inserts, except for those I could trade to get.

I don't know whether to attempt this new collection idea or not.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
ffgameman said:
I currently am - both for individual collections and my overall collection as a whole.

I always have my Sammy Sosa and David Wright player collections, but I just can't find a focus for either right now. For Sosa I occasionally go after GU (have over 50 now), but I also enjoy inserts from the 90s and early 2000s. However, my collection is disorganized to the point that I lose track of what I have. Wright's cards are fairly expensive and out of range for me right now, especially his autographs.

Earlier today I had another idea....something I don't need! After buying quite a bit of 2008-09 UD Basketball packs and enjoying the thrill of a nice insert, I thought about revitalizing my star base/insert collections, both in basketball and baseball. That was how I collected and as kid. There was limited trading back then and all I had were retail packs. I kept every base and insert card of star players I pulled in binders, which I still have today. I wouldn't be able to go after extremely "rare" inserts, except for those I could trade to get.

I don't know whether to attempt this new collection idea or not.

I do this with all cards pulled from all sports I collect.Its good because I do not like pulling a bunch of cards out of a pack and then immediately not having use for most of them.Chances are I will collect at least 3/4's of the the players I pull and on some things I may even try to do the set.Especially if I open a bunch of the product because I like the looks of it.When I first started collecting I only kept certain players but I always felt like I was getting rid of way too many cards.So now that I collect the way I do...no pack is ever wasted.Enjoy the hobby for what it is and don't try to overwhelm yourself but don't try to isolate yourself either.The hobby is big and has a lot to offer.Take advantage of it.

gregbara

Aug 10, 2008
I can 100% agree with you on Wright, his cards are fairly expensive if you plan to truly collect him. I am trying to figure out a way to make myself happy with collecting him, and right now am selling off a lot of game used and chromes, and will return to my original focus, his graded rookie stuff.

mmorgan

Aug 11, 2008
CT
I have been wrestling with that feeling for a while now. Picked up a couple cards that I have really wanted but didn’t get that “wow” feeling. I have been getting lazy putting my cards away and letting my lists slip for a week or two before I update them or scan my cards. The chase is not the same and I just should let it rest for a while. Money is tight and I guess we all need a break sometimes.
My fear is that I will miss something for my player collection that I have waited a long time for. That is the real dilemma for a player collector, but even 1/1 cards have a way of showing up more than once ;) .

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Make a list. That helps me focus since it's goal oriented :) I love crossing off cards from my want list.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
theplasticman said:
Make a list. That helps me focus since it's goal oriented :) I love crossing off cards from my want list.

I'm not gonna lie...sometimes being able to cross the cards off my want list is what keeps me going.Especially on a set I may have been working on over two years ago that I just have no motivation to finish.I finally finished the mini set for 2006 A&G just two weeks ago.I only needed like 5 cards but I put it off forever.I recently figured this out so I have been going over all of my unfinished sets and making list after list.And then I have been hitting up sportlots like crazy.Sure it sucks paying 18 cents for a card worth maybe all of 10 cents on a good day but the selection is unbelievable(especially on sets three years or older) and the shipping is cheap and the cards come quickly.

Members online

Latest posts