Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Padres fans - would you do this trade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
With the Red Sox inevitably needing to find a replacement for David Ortiz' production in the lineup, I've been searching around the league for a good replacement. Since the Padres will probably be out of playoff contention come the trade deadline, and with Jake Peavy probably leaving after this year, would you consider a trade of Adrian Gonzalez for a package of 3-4 young players led by Clay Buchholz? Gonzalez is under contract at a very affordable price through 2011 but the Padres have very little in terms of young pitching waiting in the minors and would certainly need to replace Peavy. Would Buchholz, Michael Bowden, and 2 fringe prospects be enough to get this done?

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Might as well package Lars Anderson in that deal.

That said, I don't think the Padres would do that simply due to the relationship that Adrian Gonzalez has with the San Diego/Chulajuana community. Dirt cheap cost, huge production and a local kid...Gonzalez is a perfect fit for SD.

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
The Sox have the starting pitching depth to get a deal like that done and the Padres aren't going to win anytime soon. They're going to need a young pitching core with Peavy leaving. What good is having Gonzalez around for the next 3 years when he's probably going to leave after that anyways and get nothing in return? The Padres won't be contenders in the next 3 years, I guarantee that.

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
JVC said:
The Sox have the starting pitching depth to get a deal like that done and the Padres aren't going to win anytime soon. They're going to need a young pitching core with Peavy leaving. What good is having Gonzalez around for the next 3 years when he's probably going to leave after that anyways and get nothing in return? The Padres won't be contenders in the next 3 years, I guarantee that.

Considering they have virtually no offensive talent beyond Gonzalez, they'll take that over that pitching. The Padres can get by with lesser pitchers in that park. Gonzalez is basically the most underrated star in the game. The Padres don't need to annoy their fanbase anymore than they already have.

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
I think it would take MORE than that to get AGon, mainly because of his cheap salary and his relationship to the community.

With little to no good prospects (outside of Blanks) on the offensive side, I believe Lars/Reddick would need to be involved in some way. Maybe not both, but most likely Lars, a stud SP prospect (Bowden or Masterson) and then something else to add in to the mix.

Then MAYBE the Padres would listen.

I want to see what they get for Peavy at the trade deadline, honestly.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
200lbhockeyplayer said:
Might as well package Lars Anderson in that deal.

That said, I don't think the Padres would do that simply due to the relationship that Adrian Gonzalez has with the San Diego/Chulajuana community. Dirt cheap cost, huge production and a local kid...Gonzalez is a perfect fit for SD.
Make room for kyle blanks

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
Sox won't be interested because they're going to land Miguel Cabrera anyway... Detroit's attendance is already down 30% from this time last year, they'll be selling at the deadline and I think Miggy's fat contract goes to Boston.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Clay Buchholz, Michael Bowden, Lars Anderson and Jon Lester 4 Adrian Gonzalez, Tony Gwynn and Steve Garvey.

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
JEA2880 said:
Sox won't be interested because they're going to land Miguel Cabrera anyway... Detroit's attendance is already down 30% from this time last year, they'll be selling at the deadline and I think Miggy's fat contract goes to Boston.

I don't think the Tigers will be selling at the deadline unless they tank in the next month. It would be hard to sell to the fans if the Tigers are still in first place.

Alex

onehrk

Aug 7, 2008
San Diego, CA
UMich92 said:
JEA2880 said:

I don't think the Tigers will be selling at the deadline unless they tank in the next month. It would be hard to sell to the fans if the Tigers are still in first place.

Alex

+1, Miggy isn't going anywhere.

Halonut

Aug 7, 2008
adrian gonzalez isn't going anywhere. aside from peavy, he is the face of the padres franchise. he is only 27 and has 3 1/2 great seasons under his belt with the friars and is very affordable. add to that the san diego/mexican roots and the he is the total package for a struggling organization. if he were to be dealt, it would take a helluva lot more than clay, bowden and 2 "fringe prospects."

Members online

Latest posts