Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

HOW ARE YOU DOING: SELLING WISE?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The_ReverendAct2

Aug 7, 2008
how are your ebay sells? seem to still be slow and fcb transaction are miserable for obvious reasons: prosapect board and most want steals or below ebay prices.

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
thats funny chris, cus you are of course dead on, but try and explain that to the guys over there.
they continually want 10-20 % above ebay like they are set up at a card show, and then there
are the guys that tie up your money for 3 weeks after they decide to back out.

The_ReverendAct2

Aug 7, 2008
cgilmo said:
use this formula for selling on FCB, it works quite well.

Average ebay minus 5 - 10%

I mean afterall, you don't have to pay ebay fees.

GOTCHA, but there are those that expect FAR greater discounts then that. i usually search for sells avg price and discount from there except for rarer more difficult to get cards ie 3/4 clr patch auto rc's.

muchuckwagon

Oct 8, 2008
Deceased
cgilmo said:

Well....reality is more like this:

When I look to buy offers are: (Highest eBay sale last two weeks) + (10% to 15%)

When I look to sell offers are: (Lowest eBay sale last two weeks) - (15% to 20%)

When I look to trade:
My card = Lowest eBay Sale
Their card = (Highest eBay Sale) + (50% premium for future potential)

If it is a player I collect and I want to buy: (High eBay sale) x (2 or 3)
No joke, happened to me twice....stupid donkey.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
cgilmo said:

I was actually thinking about posting something about this yesterday.

When you sell on FCB, you don't have to pay eBay fees. If this is the case, why in the world is it fair for you to try to charge eBay prices (or more)?

If you charge about 5% less than ebay, then both parties win because the buyer gets the card for less than they'd have to pay on ebay, and the seller sells the card for more than they would get from ebay after fees.

It's not too complicated, but lots of people on FCB don't seem to use this pricing technique which results in minimal transactions.

i am doing ok but i am only listing bin bo... some starting a littler higher than market hoping the low ball offers adjust a touch closer to market! not killing it by any means but i am going to list some different things on collectors revolution this week as well give it an honest shot.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
cgilmo said:

When you sell on FCB, you don't have to pay eBay fees. If this is the case, why in the world is it fair for you to try to charge eBay prices (or more)?

If you charge about 5% less than ebay, then both parties win because the buyer gets the card for less than they'd have to pay on ebay, and the seller sells the card for more than they would get from ebay after fees.

It's not too complicated, but lots of people on FCB don't seem to use this pricing technique which results in minimal transactions.

As much as this is a problem, its not the most annoying thing I run into. My favorite is "I want to get out of it what I have in it"

Seriously? I should pay you a premium because a card you paid 100 for a card that now sells for 80...

unreal

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
My sales on here seem to be good. But I don't prospect AT ALL!

I buy stuff that I know that I can flip quickly and for specific members that I am pretty confident will buy.

And at the cost I buy stuff, if I don't flip it here, it's no sweat.

I very rarely do a post in the Transaction boards. The only one I did do was alright, but I didn't get the reaction I thought I would have.

Ebay, on the other hand...

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
phillyfan0417 said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
cgilmo said:

As much as this is a problem, its not the most annoying thing I run into. My favorite is "I want to get out of it what I have in it"

Seriously? I should pay you a premium because a card you paid 100 for a card that now sells for 80...

unreal

Yeah no kidding.

Or just the flat out "$50 dlvd for this card" when the last one on eBay sold for $35 plus shipping. There have been times that I've literally laughed out loud when I saw a couple prices.

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
boomo said:
thats funny chris, cus you are of course dead on, but try and explain that to the guys over there.
they continually want 10-20 % above ebay like they are set up at a card show, and then there
are the guys that tie up your money for 3 weeks after they decide to back out.

Hey Boomo, there are quite a few over on the transaction board's that are "ridiculous" & obviously over value thier item's (but I guess that can be said about anyone anywhere), which is why you see them offering up the same things over & over again as no one touch's thier stuff! :lol: Although there are some GREAT deals to be had (but here's the kicker) "IF YOU COMMUNICATE"! :D Once those lines of communication are open & the negotiation's begin, there are many member's who will work with you on the price (but you must be polite & see thier point of view also, you never tell them how idiotic or ridiculous thier asking price is as no one wants to be told that, or told they are wrong for asking for a certain amount for "thier" item). I've had NO problem's over thier & have completed a good number of successful transaction's with some VERY delightful & good people (yourself included Boomo)! I think the key to buying & selling in an environment such as this one is "Expectation's", don't go over to the transaction board's thinking you're going to "rob" someone whether you are buying or selling! Be open to negotiation's & always try to put yourself in the other person's shoe's "BEFORE" you hit the "send/submit" button, reread your response's as if you are the one receiving the PM or post response & see how they may interpret it (are you coming off as a jack ace or a "know-it-all"(?), are you belittling your transaction partner or insinuating that they don't know what they're talking about?). This can benefit you in ways never imagined as many on here (I've received a slew of response's that "fit the bill" on a handful of these negative trait's) respond to question's & offer's with a negative undertone & don't even realize they are doing so (which has the potential to sabotage any chance in which they had at the negotiation process, & in many situation's extinguishes the possibility of completing the sell just as effectively as if they had initially told thier potential transaction partner to "shove thier offer" from the get-go)!
Boomo, I'm not speaking as if you do this (actually it's just the opposite in my experience's of dealing with you)! I just wanted to respond to your comment & I got a little "type-happy"! :lol: :D

Edit: I wanted to state that I'm sure that I also have been guilty of coming across as "rude" in some of my response's (I'm not perfect & I apologize to any & all who have taken offense to any of my replies from the transaction board)! I try to maintain a heightened sense/level of awareness when writing and rereading my response's to you all, whether I'm on the transaction board or just shooting the shart with you; but as I wrote before- I realize I am not perfect (BY FARRRR) :lol: & sometimes things can slip through the cracks (I just hope you guy's & gal's know that I mean no disrespect to you all)! Thanks & my apologies for the "novel"! :lol: :D

kuggy2

Aug 7, 2008
green bay, wisconsin
I have not bought or sold anything on ebay since becoming a member of this site. I buy more than I sell, so I think some people, like has been stated, need to realize they can make money here by going below ebay by 10% because they do not have to pay the fees.... I will continue to buy and support guys here on this site over ebay.... And I too get sick and tired of guys saying well I need what I put into it......

Dpanthers14

Aug 7, 2008
Colorado
I have been doing pretty well haven't list much in a while thought. On here I usually list my stuff a little higher than what I want because I like the negotiation. I have only taken one loss on a card so that should tell you that I'm willing to deal and make both parties happy.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
cgilmo said:
check my thread in the transaction forum

I listed cards for what they would go for on ebay with consideration for me not having to pay fees.

Sold 3 big cards within an hour.

Nice to see someone posting their best possible prices. That is the way every for sale post should be. Any post that is selling cards without prices should be removed. It just wastes everyone's time otherwise.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
matchpenalty said:
cgilmo said:
check my thread in the transaction forum

I listed cards for what they would go for on ebay with consideration for me not having to pay fees.

Sold 3 big cards within an hour.

Nice to see someone posting their best possible prices. That is the way every for sale post should be. Any post that is selling cards without prices should be removed. It just wastes everyone's time otherwise.

the mods are currently split down the middle on making this a requirement

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
Posting a listing on here and stating "PM me with your best offer" without first offering a ballpark price is like saying "I want to see if you will overpay for these cards."

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
JVC said:
Posting a listing on here and stating "PM me with your best offer" without first offering a ballpark price is like saying "I want to see if you will overpay for these cards."

well said :D

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
JVC said:

I see the point, however, there are a lot of people who post asking for offers because they are not necessarily looking to move the card at this point. I am going to start posting prices on cards I want to move, and leaving the other without a price, if none have ever sold or i don't need to move it

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
JVC said:

Agreed.

For the life of me I still dont understand why when someone asks a price its given through PM and not just listed, whats the big secret?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts