Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Eric Chavez's Career May Be Over

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Injuries have really derailed his career, so it would be a shame if he truly could never get out from under the injury bug.

He was one of those quiet star players that would be missed.

I am a long time Oakland A's fan. He has been good for us. But , im sorry, when you have Tejada, Giambi etc. McGwire and so fourth and you trade and let all of them go, and Chavez is the only one you sign, I'm sorry but it never sat well with me. I know you can not sign all of them, but i would have signed any of the other for what it took , all of them but Chavez. Sad story.

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
Big Mac McGwire said:
I am a long time Oakland A's fan. He has been good for us. But , im sorry, when you have Tejada, Giambi etc. McGwire and so fourth and you trade and let all of them go, and Chavez is the only one you sign, I'm sorry but it never sat well with me. I know you can not sign all of them, but i would have signed any of the other for what it took , all of them but Chavez. Sad story.

Exactly... I know Crosby was an up-and-comer which is why they kept Chavez instead of Tejada, but I would of liked it if they moved Crosby to third and kept Tejada instead. Chavez had an amazing glove but his bat has always been mediocre.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Upon perusing the BA Handbook, I don't see any prospects on Oakland's Top 30 currently playing at the hot corner.

Looks as though Crosby will be there for a long time. Beane should look into drafting a few third basemen next month.

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
Jaypers said:
Upon perusing the BA Handbook, I don't see any prospects on Oakland's Top 30 currently playing at the hot corner.

Looks as though Crosby will be there for a long time. Beane should look into drafting a few third basemen next month.

Chris Carter played some third last season. :lol:

..... it did not go well.

onehrk

Aug 7, 2008
San Diego, CA
ru4scuba said:
Big Mac McGwire said:

Exactly... I know Crosby was an up-and-comer which is why they kept Chavez instead of Tejada, but I would of liked it if they moved Crosby to third and kept Tejada instead. Chavez had an amazing glove but his bat has always been mediocre.

Yup, I agree too. When after all of them left and Chavez was signed, I was shocked. I would have much preferred Tejada as well Chris. I think I incorrectly put too much of that blame on Chavez over the years, but meh.

Craig - 21hawk

Aug 7, 2008
St. Paul, MN
ru4scuba said:
Jaypers said:

Chris Carter played some third last season. :lol:

..... it did not go well.

Are Scott Hatteberg or Erubial Durazo available? Beane always seemed to have a man crush on them. Maybe they could give it a shot. :p

Craig

Bigfan5

Aug 7, 2008
Big Mac McGwire said:

While I agree somewhat, you could argue that Beane purged all the steroid users and kept the clean guy. When healthy (and with some protection) I think he would have been an upper tier third baseman. Either way it's tough to lose a player who by all accounts is a good guy and was a good player to boot.

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
Bigfan5 said:
Big Mac McGwire said:

While I agree somewhat, you could argue that Beane purged all the steroid users and kept the clean guy. When healthy (and with some protection) I think he would have been an upper tier third baseman. Either way it's tough to lose a player who by all accounts is a good guy and was a good player to boot.

If only he didn't deal Andre Ethier for a year of Milton Bradley. You must love that as a Dodger fan. :lol:

Being an Oakland A's fan the last 7 or so years, it has been like rooting for a College Sports Team. The players are never on the team long enough to root for. And when a couple players put 2 or 3 seasons together when they are young, they do not stick around for a 4th year because they either get TRADED or they leave to go sign for alot of money. I am afraid to buy an A's Jersey of a player on the team , cause there is always a chance they will be gone in an instant. I am not a front runner. I have been a A's fan since i was 4. But i find myself rooting for other teams not so much my own team. We do not spend money, we develop players and hope that in a 2 year window they develop and win us a world series or ELSE they get shipped off for more prospects. Yea we have a great farm system, but in this day and age you need to sign a big time Free Agent In their Prime and not for 1 or 2 year stints, Cough PIAZZA, THOMAS, etc. Holiday was a nice touch, but lets be real he is here for 1 year, I bet he will be gone at the trade deadline. Im sorry but it is hard being a A's fan the last bunch of years. Burn me at the stake but i have been rooting for Longo and the Rays all season. Im still a A's Fan, but I have more hate then love for them for almost 7 years.

onehrk

Aug 7, 2008
San Diego, CA
Big Mac McGwire said:
Being an Oakland A's fan the last 7 or so years, it has been like rooting for a College Sports Team. The players are never on the team long enough to root for. And when a couple players put 2 or 3 seasons together when they are young, they do not stick around for a 4th year because they either get TRADED or they leave to go sign for alot of money. I am afraid to buy an A's Jersey of a player on the team , cause there is always a chance they will be gone in an instant. I am not a front runner. I have been a A's fan since i was 4. But i find myself rooting for other teams not so much my own team. We do not spend money, we develop players and hope that in a 2 year window they develop and win us a world series or ELSE they get shipped off for more prospects. Yea we have a great farm system, but in this day and age you need to sign a big time Free Agent In their Prime and not for 1 or 2 year stints, Cough PIAZZA, THOMAS, etc. Holiday was a nice touch, but lets be real he is here for 1 year, I bet he will be gone at the trade deadline. Im sorry but it is hard being a A's fan the last bunch of years. Burn me at the stake but i have been rooting for Longo and the Rays all season. Im still a A's Fan, but I have more hate then love for them for almost 7 years.

I understand your reasoning and I don't question you as a fan. It really has been very frustrating to watch unfold. It seems like every since those good years at the end of the 20th century and the start of the 21st, we have been trading proven players for prospects at an alarming rate. I understand rebuilding once in a while, but it's a constant process. Also, it's great getting to see stars of yesteryear ending their careers with the A's, I just wish they would produce a little more than they have. I have watched every single game the A's played this year on MLB TV and as of late, I don't even look forward to their games. I much more enjoy watching Zito pitch every 5 days for the Giants...

Members online

Latest posts