Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So What did You think of UFC 90?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I wasnt able to watch :( but

Silva won (no surprise)
Werdum lost (I was surprised)
Sherk won (went either way on this fight so no surprise)
Koscheck lost (once again, either way for me)
Maynard won (no surprise here)

...was it a good tv event?

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
HPC said:

Silva won (no surprise)

Actually, the Silva fight was good. Cote actually took him to the third round and then couldn't continue because of an ACL injury. Both fighters were disappointed, and there will be a rematch I'm sure. Silva DID NOT DOMINATE!

Huge shock as Werdum got Knocked out Flat.

Alves looked good again. Think he'll get a title shot very soon.

Maynard dominated.

yankeefan812

Aug 12, 2008
Dville Ghetto
Russ S. said:
HPC said:

Silva won (no surprise)

Actually, the Silva fight was good. Cote actually took him to the third round and then couldn't continue because of an ACL injury. Both fighters were disappointed, and there will be a rematch I'm sure. Silva DID NOT DOMINATE!

Maynard dominated.

How did Silva not dominate? He barely even got touched by Cote and landed a devastating knee to Cote's face and a left hook. He was dominating the fight until the injury. Other than that Alves looked very good in his fight and hopefully gets a title shot against GSP soon.

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
yankeefan812 said:
Russ S. said:
HPC said:

Silva won (no surprise)

Maynard dominated.

How did Silva not dominate? He barely even got touched by Cote and landed a devastating knee to Cote's face and a left hook. He was dominating the fight until the injury. Other than that Alves looked very good in his fight and hopefully gets a title shot against GSP soon.

Just stating the facts, that Silva did not dominate Cote like he normally does to others he's crushed.
Yes Cote took a knee and a hook and took it well. SO well, that COTE was the aggressor after eating those shots. HE came after Silva. Silva was just elusive and was looking for that perfect attack point and Cote wasn't giving it to him.
Thought it was a good fight and will be looking forward to the rematch.
Not saying that Silva isn't the man, but he didn't manhandle Cote at all. Those are the facts.

G

We were all sitting around watching the Werdum fight, and my friend asked me who I had in the fight and I said "I think Werdum will win it" and by the time I had even gotten the word 'Werdum' out of my mouth he was knocked out cold. And my friend was like, "You still got him?"

It was pretty funny.

And during the beginning of the 3rd round of the main event I began telling them that Cote's legs looked just shot. That he was done for. And he threw that punch and tore his leg up. I just stood up and walked to the fridge to get a beer and said "See, I told you so."

Pretty crappy finish, but what can you do?

I still don't like that it's a loss for Cote and a victory for Anderson under those circumstances. I think it should be a No Contest Due To Unintentional Injury or something like that. Something like this is different than someone just not being able to contunue due to a beating, or a cut or something.

peaceandlove

Aug 7, 2008
i think it's amazing how many people i've heard that are actually complaining about being "ripped off" and wanting a refund due to the ending of that match. i guess people don't understand that people get hurt and that's something that is inevitable and possible in every single MMA fight. it's not like they didn't get to see about 6 other quality fights besides the Silva/Cote fight. most of those went the distance or close to it except for the Werdum fight. what's next? NE Patriot fans demanding a refund on their season tickets since Brady went down for the season?

G

I was disappointed as most were, but hey, what can you do? If I paid for it, I wouldn't want my money back, and I think it's ridiculous for someone to want a refund. It's fighting, people get hurt sometimes. Duh.

peaceandlove

Aug 7, 2008
Sam Banks said:
I was disappointed as most were, but hey, what can you do? If I paid for it, I wouldn't want my money back, and I think it's ridiculous for someone to want a refund. It's fighting, people get hurt sometimes. Duh.

i've watched a ton of UFC and Pride fights and i can't remember many if any fights that have ended like that. I remember once in a prelim fight that a guy was getting his head bashed in and was saved by the bell. The next round started and he walked out and fell and was out before anything happened in that round. if people don't watch what they say Dana might oblige them on that refund. For every fight that ends like this, there's at least 2 that are like Forrest/Bonner or Pete Sell/Scott Smith. Great endings far outweigh bad ones and i could see Dana saying "ok, i'll give you your refund on this fight.....then for fights that are great, i'll end up charging you even more." i'm pretty sure that's why he loads his PPVs as much as he does. people are going to get some great quality fights even if one goes bad. His free events like UFC 89 and Fight Nights usually only have 1 or 2 great fights booked but since they're free, he's not overly concerned if one ends bad. Personally i thought the Sherk/Griffin fight was worth the PPV. that was a really good fight.

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
I watched it for free so no complaints.

Silva needs to stop dicking around and fight. He lost the first round because of his overconfidence. Sure he won, but crap like that will cost him some day.

Werdum came in very out of shape. I was surprised as that is not like him. Looked heavy and sluggish. Probably underestimated the fight.

G

I watched it for free too.

It looked like Griffin had to cut a lot of weight for his fight. He was looking extra flabby in the wasteline area to me. Don't know if he's usually like that though.

Brock looked that way in the Herring fight. He's said he's at the point now where he doesn't have to cut weight, which is a good thing I think, if it's true.

Cutting weight and recovering fully has to be a bitch.

yankeefan812

Aug 12, 2008
Dville Ghetto
Russ S. said:
yankeefan812 said:
[quote="Russ S.":1gd9b3qh]
HPC said:

Silva won (no surprise)

Maynard dominated.

Just stating the facts, that Silva did not dominate Cote like he normally does to others he's crushed.
Yes Cote took a knee and a hook and took it well. SO well, that COTE was the aggressor after eating those shots. HE came after Silva. Silva was just elusive and was looking for that perfect attack point and Cote wasn't giving it to him.
Thought it was a good fight and will be looking forward to the rematch.
Not saying that Silva isn't the man, but he didn't manhandle Cote at all. Those are the facts.[/quote:1gd9b3qh]

Yea I feel you there. I really didn't like how Anderson was constantly moving around looking for the perfect shot either. I mean granted it's his style, but I don't think he threw a punch for the first 3 minutes in the 1st round. I think if Cote's knee could have held up the fight could have gone 5.

mikieward10

Oct 1, 2008
Sam Banks said:
We were all sitting around watching the Werdum fight, and my friend asked me who I had in the fight and I said "I think Werdum will win it" and by the time I had even gotten the word 'Werdum' out of my mouth he was knocked out cold. And my friend was like, "You still got him?"

It was pretty funny.

And during the beginning of the 3rd round of the main event I began telling them that Cote's legs looked just shot. That he was done for. And he threw that punch and tore his leg up. I just stood up and walked to the fridge to get a beer and said "See, I told you so."

Pretty crappy finish, but what can you do?

I still don't like that it's a loss for Cote and a victory for Anderson under those circumstances. I think it should be a No Contest Due To Unintentional Injury or something like that. Something like this is different than someone just not being able to contunue due to a beating, or a cut or something.
^True story!!!!^

I think the Silva / Cote fight kinda sucked, I was so pumped and then nothing really happened in the first round. Then the second round was better, but anytime i watch silva i expect to be amazed, i think cote would of lost the fight any how, and the rematch will result in a second round KO. Just my prediction, Cant wait until the next two ppvs

mikieward10

Oct 1, 2008
Ty Hope said:
I watched it for free so no complaints.

Silva needs to stop dicking around and fight. He lost the first round because of his overconfidence. Sure he won, but crap like that will cost him some day.
Thats all part of silva's game though thats why he is the best, by dicking around and setting back he can pick out his opponents weaknesses, Guys that go right out there guns blazin have a higher risk of getting koed. Silva can set back throw half as many punches as any one else but land three times as many of them. It's just his style, and it seems to be working for him

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
By not dicking around I did not mean go out and fight carelessly. I'm talking about this fight. It was not a typical Silva fight and he appeared to show no respect to Cote. Looked like a glorified sparring session.

mikieward10

Oct 1, 2008
Ty Hope said:
By not dicking around I did not mean go out and fight carelessly. I'm talking about this fight. It was not a typical Silva fight and he appeared to show no respect to Cote. Looked like a glorified sparring session.
I get what your saying, but ithink its still part of his game, it works mentally on his opponents

G

Don't listen to him Ty. This is the same person who says that Mir wasn't getting beat down by Lesnar in their fight, but that he was 'setting him up' the entire time.

Pardon me, but Mir was getting his ass handed to him until Brock's rookie mistake.

G

Seriously, show me where he's setting him up.

[youtube:1quf6t9m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKZmFI9vFHI[/youtube:1quf6t9m]

mikieward10

Oct 1, 2008
Sam Banks said:
Don't listen to him Ty. This is the same person who says that Mir wasn't getting beat down by Lesnar in their fight, but that he was 'setting him up' the entire time.

Pardon me, but Mir was getting his ass handed to him until Brock's rookie mistake.
Before the hit to the bavk of the head he was going for the leg, had his arm under his free leg, and when lesner stands the second time mir sees the leg and waits for the positioning, then boom, crafty vet, rookie mistake. But he knew what he was doing. im not sayin he didnt get punished a bit but he tried for the leg once, got hit in the back of the head went for the arm, lesner was to strong and then he saw the op to go back to the leg. Can't wait to see what Randy will do to him if he is that vulnerable

G

mikieward10 said:
Sam Banks said:

Before the hit to the bavk of the head he was going for the leg, had his arm under his free leg, and when lesner stands the second time mir sees the leg and waits for the positioning, then boom, crafty vet, rookie mistake. But he knew what he was doing. im not sayin he didnt get punished a bit but he tried for the leg once, got hit in the back of the head went for the arm, lesner was to strong and then he saw the op to go back to the leg. Can't wait to see what Randy will do to him if he is that vulnerable

I've seen worse hits to the back of the head than that, and I have never seen a ref stop a fight because of a hit to the back of the head and deduct a point. That's the first time I have ever seen it. You always hear the refs say tho watch the back of the head. It was ******** it was stopped. If it wasn't, I doubt that fight goes 30 more seconds. Would have ended due to ref stoppage.

And to the bolded part, you've told me like a million times that he wasn't getting beat up, he was just setting him up!

I am calling right now, ref stoppage, Brock over Randy in the first or the second round.

First prediction I've made for the fight, and it will be the last, and I stand by it.

mikieward10

Oct 1, 2008
Sam Banks said:
mikieward10 said:
[quote="Sam Banks":2kfxoo2v]Don't listen to him Ty. This is the same person who says that Mir wasn't getting beat down by Lesnar in their fight, but that he was 'setting him up' the entire time.

I've seen worse hits to the back of the head than that, and I have never seen a ref stop a fight because of a hit to the back of the head and deduct a point. That's the first time I have ever seen it. You always hear the refs say tho watch the back of the head. It was *censor* it was stopped. If it wasn't, I doubt that fight goes 30 more seconds. Would have ended due to ref stoppage.

And to the bolded part, you've told me like a million times that he wasn't getting beat up, he was just setting him up!

I am calling right now, ref stoppage, Brock over Randy in the first or the second round.

First prediction I've made for the fight, and it will be the last, and I stand by it.[/quote:2kfxoo2v]I'm just pumped to watch it, I would like to see someone test lesner's chin, I'll admit if he ever becomes well rounded look out, but until then him fighting Randy is like me pitching to Pujols, it's not gonna turn out good, I say ko or submision in the second or third round

Latest posts