Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Hey, this is great!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

plainwhitejerseys

May 20, 2009
Sorry if this is the wrong spot for this, but I just joined here a couple days ago, and I wanted to compliment you all on the high quality of the content here. It's the best of the Beckett boards people, the best of the Blowout boards people, and the best of the bloggers. And as far as I can tell, none of the BS of the Beckett mod gestapo.

I about peed my pants when I saw the baseball boards are almost all prospecting. Thankyouthankyouthankyou!!!

i43770

Aug 7, 2008
Portland, OR
plainwhitejerseys said:
Sorry if this is the wrong spot for this, but I just joined here a couple days ago, and I wanted to compliment you all on the high quality of the content here. It's the best of the Beckett boards people, the best of the Blowout boards people, and the best of the bloggers. And as far as I can tell, none of the BS of the Beckett mod gestapo.

I about peed my pants when I saw the baseball boards are almost all prospecting. Thankyouthankyouthankyou!!!

You have been thanked for the bolded part.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Welcome, Mr. Artist Formerly Known As MaddoxBT. This is sure gonna get interesting.

Let's kick things off with a question -- what's your opinion of Razor?

plainwhitejerseys

May 20, 2009
Jaypers said:
Welcome, Mr. Artist Formerly Known As MaddoxBT. This is sure gonna get interesting.

That's complicated.

I like Razor in theory. I appreciate what they did last year in mopping up most of the first round to keep Bowman from doing it, and I am aware that they used UD money (not to mention UD anger) to do it. I despise UD and love Topps/Bowman. I bought some of the 08 Razor prospects set (I forget what it was called) and wasn't impressed at all. The cards were all chipped and the design was shoddy, IMO.

But I wouldn't hesitate to buy Razor stuff in the future if I liked it for myself or I thought there was profit potential. I prospect a little differently than most, so Razor doesn't work for me yet, but I like the company. I like their aggressiveness.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
plainwhitejerseys said:
Jaypers said:

That's complicated.

I like Razor in theory. I appreciate what they did last year in mopping up most of the first round to keep Bowman from doing it, and I am aware that they used UD money (not to mention UD anger) to do it. I despise UD and love Topps/Bowman. I bought some of the 08 Razor prospects set (I forget what it was called) and wasn't impressed at all. The cards were all chipped and the design was shoddy, IMO.

But I wouldn't hesitate to buy Razor stuff in the future if I liked it for myself or I thought there was profit potential. I prospect a little differently than most, so Razor doesn't work for me yet, but I like the company. I like their aggressiveness.

The UD connection has yet to be proven. So far, all we've seen is a memo with blacked out info. I'll reserve judgment on that until I see an official press release. And even if it proves to be true, so what. As long as they make cards of good prospects, I'll remain interested.

The product you were referring to was 2008 Razor Signature Series. The cards were essentially cut with a butter knife. Still, it was an ambitious first attempt. He's learning as he goes.

plainwhitejerseys

May 20, 2009
Jaypers said:
The UD connection has yet to be proven. So far, all we've seen is a memo with blacked out info. I'll reserve judgment on that until I see an official press release. And even if it proves to be true, so what. As long as they make cards of good prospects, I'll remain interested.

The product you were referring to was 2008 Razor Signature Series. The cards were essentially cut with a butter knife. Still, it was an ambitious first attempt. He's learning as he goes.

Yeah, the connection has yet to be proven, but I don't doubt it for a second. If it ever is proven, I'm going to be the first to shrug my shoulders and say that I don't care. I don't like UD, but that doesn't mean that Razor is doing anything wrong by taking their money. If they got the money without having to sell a part of Razor to UD, even better. Smart business move regardless, assuming its true.

Really, would you rather have a company collude with another and create an ambitious product that helps grow the name and stabilize the company, or would you rather have that company say thanks but no thanks and go under? I prefer the former.

Yeah, Signature Series. I can picture the box, but couldn't remember the name.

I like Draft and Elite Extra, and no matter how much people deride the checklists on both 08 products, I still think they're going to be strong down the road. Cheap as sin now too.

Moonlight Graham

Aug 7, 2008
Renton, WA
Jaypers said:
plainwhitejerseys said:
Jaypers said:

That's complicated.

"Butter Knife Sportscards" doesn't have the same ring...

plainwhitejerseys

May 20, 2009
rico08 said:
Got any Cooper Brannon stuff?

Heh, no. And you'd think that I hyped him to sell off stuff I had or something. But no.

Guess I should have done that same hype job on someone I had a lot of.

Members online

Latest posts