Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My thoughts on Kyle Skipworth.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Last night I went to the Greensboro Grasshoppers V. Lakewood BlueClaws. I got the usual autos Greensboro before and Lakewood after. Skipworth was a very nice kid and signed a Razor card for me. On his game was a very different story. ON his Razor card they claim that he is the next Joe Mauer. That is an absolute joke and I didn't see any of Mauer in him. The kid is a very good defensive catcher, but his offense needs a lot of work. He tagged a ball to RF, but he just got under it in one AB, but he has a very bad hitch in his swing. If he can fix that, the kid will turn around his .162 BA. He needs to start to prove what a 6th overall pick looks like.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
jbone17 said:
Last night I went to the Greensboro Grasshoppers V. Lakewood BlueClaws. I got the usual autos Greensboro before and Lakewood after. Skipworth was a very nice kid and signed a Razor card for me. On his game was a very different story. ON his Razor card they claim that he is the next Joe Mauer. That is an absolute joke and I didn't see any of Mauer in him. The kid is a very good defensive catcher, but his offense needs a lot of work. He tagged a ball to RF, but he just got under it in one AB, but he has a very bad hitch in his swing. If he can fix that, the kid will turn around his .162 BA. He needs to start to prove what a 6th overall pick looks like.

He began his pro career less than a year ago. Don't be so critical this early.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I think the Marlins seriously miss scouted both Skipworth and Matt Dominguez. Hardest part of scouting is projecting the growth of a player 3 years from now. Dominguez's body has not changed since I 1st saw him when he was 15. Scouts are worried that Skipworth's body will not also fill out.

goblue6919

Aug 7, 2008
19braves77 said:
I think the Marlins seriously miss scouted both Skipworth and Matt Dominguez. Hardest part of scouting is projecting the growth of a player 3 years from now. Dominguez's body has not changed since I 1st saw him when he was 15. Scouts are worried that Skipworth's body will not also fill out.

Skipworth has a lot of room to fill out. He looks bigger than 6'3 and he is extremely skinny.

It might take a demotion to Jamestown, the GCL or a repeat year in Greensboro but he is going to be a big time prospect.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Jaypers, I totally understand what you are saying, but unless this kid fixes the hitch in his swing and bulks up, there may not be any room for improvement.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
19braves77 said:

People forget that going into his senior season, Dominguez was ranked ahead of Moustakas.

tide12champrings

Aug 8, 2008
Gulf Shores
jbone17 said:

Have you had the chance to see Smolinski play? I don't think He was in the lineup last night.

mwashuc06

Aug 7, 2008
I don't like catching prospects who struggle hitting in their first year. The list of failures for high school catchers is long.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Funny, I thought Scott Heard retired?

(NOTE: A 2000 Draft throwback reference for those who were in this 9 years ago.)

jlecates

Dec 4, 2008
LLWesMan said:
jbone17 said:
Jaypers, I totally understand what you are saying, but unless this kid fixes the hitch in his swing and bulks up, there may not be any room for improvement.

Wouldn't the possibility of those fixes inherently mean there is room for improvement!?

+1 for logic

Members online