Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rick Porcello is on pace for 21 Wins this season

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
It's still early, but I love to have discussions about my favorite players, and he happens to top the list.

Porcello started slow, going just 1-3 with an ERA north of 6.00 in his first four starts, but in his last four starts, he has been a completely different pitcher, going 4-0 with a 1.13 ERA. He is now 5-3 with a 3.55 ERA overall.

After yesterday's game, I was checking out his stats and I realized that Porcello is actually on pace for 21 wins this season. Assuming so early in the season that he'll achieve such a milestone would certainly be getting ahead of ourselves, but the numbers don't lie--he is on pace.

I must emphasize that it's still way too early to assume anything, but at the same time, this is one of the last things most people expected...especially after his 1-3 start. He's hot right now with 4 wins in a row, and so are the Tigers (7 game winning streak). If the Tigers are going to continue to put up runs, play great defense and win ballgames and Porcello can stay hot and continue to pitch at a high level for the remainder of the season, 20 wins may actually turn into a realistic possibility for this 20-year-old.

Thoughts?

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Raul Ibanez is on pace to break the all-time HR record, woooohoooo!

R-A-U-L !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rctdw

Sep 2, 2008
I think the Major reason for the Tigers wins so far as been there Production from unexpected People.
Like Inge having 12 homeruns and Granderson with 11. so even with ordonez struggling others are picking them up which is great to see.

Porcello has been pitching Great I bought the lineup card from his first start at comerica park so hopefully i can get it signed at some point.

I'm hoping Inge Will make the all-star Team this year cause he deserves it.

Go Tigers !!!!!!!!!!!
I'll be there watching tonight :D
Ryan

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
Warren's All Stars said:
Raul Ibanez is on pace to break the all-time HR record, woooohoooo!

R-A-U-L !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unless you just don't count the records set in the past 15 years, Ibanez's pace of 66 home runs would not break the HR record.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
flightposite said:
So, you are posting and admitting your post is pointless at the same time?

I'm not admitting that the post is pointless, I'm admitting that it is too early to assume he will make it to 20.

I just thought it was interesting because 20 wins was not something I had even thought of for Porcello this season.

Realistically, I think he will end up with 17 wins this season, but if he stays as hot as he's been lately, 20 wins is definitely not out of the question.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
200lbhockeyplayer said:
Which is more likely, Porcello reaching 20 wins or Ibanez hitting 65 homeruns?

Or how about Adrian Gonzalez, the most underrated player in baseball, hitting 65 homeruns? He happens to be tied with Ibanez right now with 15, he's just too invisible to be noticed for some reason.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
pujolsjunkie said:
[Unless you just don't count the records set in the past 15 years, Ibanez's pace of 66 home runs would not break the HR record.

I pretty much don't count the drug-induced HR totals as being legit. To me the Maris / Aaron records still stand.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
[Or how about Adrian Gonzalez, the most underrated player in baseball, hitting 65 homeruns? He happens to be tied with Ibanez right now with 15, he's just too invisible to be noticed for some reason.

Raul has 16, he crushed one of **** last night in the Bronx.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
200lbhockeyplayer said:

Porcello as crazy as it seems. I don't think either will do it though.

If Porcello gets 14 that would be good for him. I see his chances getting severely cut back once Bonderman comes back from the DL. Especially if Willis gets back to his old self. They would have 6 pitchers for 5 spots. The most likely guy to lose out is Porcello even if he is pitching better than other options.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
nborton said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

If Porcello gets 14 that would be good for him. I see his chances getting severely cut back once Bonderman comes back from the DL. Especially if Willis gets back to his old self. They would have 6 pitchers for 5 spots. The most likely guy to lose out is Porcello even if he is pitching better than other options.

I really don't think Porcello is going anywhere. Leyland has said a number of times that Porcello is staying in the rotation unless it comes to the point where he is so ineffective that he does not give the team a chance to win.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle 6 pitchers in 5 spots, but I don't think we will see a 6 pitcher rotation.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
nborton said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

I really don't think Porcello is going anywhere. Leyland has said a number of times that Porcello is staying in the rotation unless it comes to the point where he is so ineffective that he does not give the team a chance to win.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle 6 pitchers in 5 spots, but I don't think we will see a 6 pitcher rotation.

Yeah, but Leyland also promised Dombrowski that he wouldn't overuse Porcello too. Something has to give.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
nborton said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
nborton said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

Yeah, but Leyland also promised Dombrowski that he wouldn't overuse Porcello too. Something has to give.

Yeah I think that's why he has limited his pitch count every game. Porcello hasn't thrown 100 pitches in any start this season, and Leyland has definitely taken him out of the game a couple times already when Porcello clearly could have gone another inning or two. I think he's already being cautious with him.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
nborton said:
[quote="ALL_THE_HYPE":1p2f2xpt]
nborton said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

Yeah I think that's why he has limited his pitch count every game. Porcello hasn't thrown 100 pitches in any start this season, and Leyland has definitely taken him out of the game a couple times already when Porcello clearly could have gone another inning or two. I think he's already being cautious with him.[/quote:1p2f2xpt]

Yeah, I hope they continue with how they have been going so far. I'd hate to see him get messed up.

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
The number of pitches is much more important than the number of innings. For a 20-year old rookie, I'm really impressed with his composure. After getting dinged for 6 HRs in his first 4 starts, Porcello has not given up any in his last 4 starts.

I think that if Willis pitches effectively, the Tigers will ease Bonderman back very slowly. If everyone is pitching well, I think they will skip Porcello turn a few times in July/August to limit his workload. My stat guess would be 14-6 with a sub 4.00 ERA and top 3 for ROY.

Alex

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Warren's All Stars said:
[quote="ALL_THE_HYPE":22s5erwg][Or how about Adrian Gonzalez, the most underrated player in baseball, hitting 65 homeruns? He happens to be tied with Ibanez right now with 15, he's just too invisible to be noticed for some reason.

Raul has 16, he crushed one of **** last night in the Bronx.[/quote:22s5erwg]

MAKE THAT 17!

RAULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

Members online