Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is this card Real or Fake? *Card is back from BGS*

Is this card Real or Fake?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjj7880

Aug 7, 2008
Many people have said that the Bowman Original Gold ref's #'d 1/1 are fake and that the autographs were added at a later date and they are not true bowman original autographs. So is this Travis Buck Gold ref 1/1 Bowman Originals card real or fake? I sent it in to beckett to get graded and will have it back next week so we can reveal what beckett says about it then. Here are the scans!
Buckbcgoldref1of1.jpg

buckbcgoldrefback.jpg

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Re: Is this card Real or Fake?

I dont think they inserted gold refractors into the Bowman Originals product. It could still be an authentic autograph.

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008

I think it's Fake. The autograph could be real, but I would have to guess that is fake as well.

i43770

Aug 7, 2008
Portland, OR

I say it isn't an authentic Bowman Originals auto. It doesn't have the Topps 3m sticker on the back.

And according to Beckett the only 1/1s were, 2005 Bowman Chrome Refractor, 2005 Bowman Heritage, and 2005 Bowman Sterling Refractor.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA

according to Beckett there are 3 1/1's of Travis Buck.

Contact Topps to find out..

Not everyone is out to fake an auto.. and just like on the Beckett board there are so damn many experts on the FCB as well..

The card companies have a history of making wrong cards.. (how many red refractors /5 were made of some cards?)

Can anyone do any research before flying off the handle and claiming fake?

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA

i43770 said:
I say it isn't an authentic Bowman Originals auto. It doesn't have the Topps 3m sticker on the back.

And according to Beckett the only 1/1s were, 2005 Bowman Chrome Refractor, 2005 Bowman Heritage, and 2005 Bowman Sterling Refractor.

It's not like Beckett hasn't been wrong before in their checklists either.. I have some cards that Beckett say were never produced, and I have sent them scans.. They still haven't added them to their site..

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this card debated before, and hasn't it been in the hands of shoelessjoejackson? Fake, FTW.

Anthony

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA

aminors said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this card debated before, and hasn't it been in the hands of shoelessjoejackson? Fake, FTW.

Anthony

If there is a history of this card with shameless joe, then I would say it's 100% FAKE..

But I would still call Topps and let them know, and if it's fake, then they can have EBAY pull the auction!!

jjj7880

Aug 7, 2008

Pinbreaker said:
aminors said:

Anthony

If there is a history of this card with shameless joe, then I would say it's 100% FAKE..

But I would still call Topps and let them know, and if it's fake, then they can have EBAY pull the auction!!

I bought the card about 8 months ago or so and it wasn't from Shoeleesjoe. I just sent it in to beckett and we will see what they say about it. I do think the Alex Gordon 2006 BC Gold Ref 1/1 originals Shoeless had his hands on that one at one time.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN

jjj7880 said:
Pinbreaker said:
aminors said:

Anthony

I bought the card about 8 months ago or so and it wasn't from Shoeleesjoe. I just sent it in to beckett and we will see what they say about it. I do think the Alex Gordon 2006 BC Gold Ref 1/1 originals Shoeless had his hands on that one at one time.

I would bet my life on the fact that this card has been the subject of message board conversation more than one year ago. I don't remember if it was shoeless' card or not, but I know for a fact that it was on a message board before.

Anthony

walter55

Aug 7, 2008

There is a Bowman Originals 2005 BC Refractor numbered out /1 on the checklist but it does not say what type of refractor it is. Then when you also see on the checklist is a Chris R Young 2005 BCDPREF #/1 and then another Chris R Young 2005 BCDPREF #/5 it would appear they did not label exactly what type of refractor it was but did use different types of refractors.

Also if you have some other Travis Buck 06 Bowman Originals autos in your collection check the number on your holo sticker on the backs and see if it is possible they run is sequence(which I think they do but not completely sure). So on the checklist there are 1000 total Travis Buck autos so if other Travis Buck Bowman Originals autos you might have do seem to be in sequence and they are within 1000 numbers of the the one listed I would feel a lot better about it being real. The last four digits on the back of the Gold appear to be 6534.

Finally though if some one does know for sure that Shoeless Joe sold that card before then I would just consider it fake and move on.

KandKCards

Aug 8, 2008

Clearly done aftermarket. Any true topps 1/1 has a triangular 1/1 hologram on the back with a 1/1 on it. This card only has the rectangular hologram.

ruth3

May 23, 2009

i wish topps still used the triangle sticker for 1/1's but they gave up on the whole hologram process in general making it easier for people to fame cards ::facepalm::

jjj7880

Aug 7, 2008

^^ for more votes I should get the card back from beckett by tomorrow.

rbadger

Aug 10, 2008
Wake Forest, NC

KandKCards said:
Clearly done aftermarket. Any true topps 1/1 has a triangular 1/1 hologram on the back with a 1/1 on it. This card only has the rectangular hologram.

NOT TRUE! I pulled this 1/1 and it does NOT have the triangular 1/1 sticker (just the square one):

wells_original.jpg
wells_original_back.jpg

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.

I remember someone asking about that card awhile back. Unsure if it was here as I dont see my reply in my posts. At the time I said fake as it wasn't in the BGS B.O. checklist. Since then I have learned the B.O. Checklist has error(s) At least for Martin it does.

Interested to see how this turns out.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
You knew this was real before sending it in to BGS I'm guessing though, correct? The fakes coming out of NC have holo-stickers that are WAYYYY off...a lot of them don't even have the stickers on the back of the slab.

Either way, nice card!

Members online

Latest posts