Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who says the Auto grade doesn't matter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
The 10 auto sold on the 17th, the 9 auto sold on the 24th which was part of the holiday weekend. That could also play into this a bit

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I've always said that the autograph grade is a joke and is an artificial grade there simply to add a couple bucks to the cost of the grading.

It takes serious, serious trauma for the card to be affected inside a BGS slab and therefore compromising the card grade. The autograph however can change tremendously over time depending on a lot of things...none of which are protected by the slab.

It's extremely easy to have a BGS 9.5 with a 10 autograph and have the autograph all but faded away...therefore it's a joke in my opinion.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
200lbhockeyplayer said:
It's extremely easy to have a BGS 9.5 with a 10 autograph and have the autograph all but faded away...therefore it's a joke in my opinion.

do you have any scans for reference of a 10 auto that has all but faded away?

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
Huffamaniac said:
The 10 auto sold on the 17th, the 9 auto sold on the 24th which was part of the holiday weekend. That could also play into this a bit

While I understand what you're saying....do you really think the Stanton would have gone for more on a "normal" Sunday night?

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
The auto grade definitely makes a huge difference in final sales. What sucks about Mike Stanton's auto is that when he finishes off his last name he has a horizontal strike through the last name. 50% of the time it doesn't have solid ink and gets hit hard when graded by BGS.

Allen

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Bruin7 said:
The auto grade definitely makes a huge difference in final sales. What sucks about Mike Stanton's auto is that when he finishes off his last name he has a horizontal strike through the last name. 50% of the time it doesn't have solid ink and gets hit hard when graded by BGS.

Allen

Yeah I hate that. A few guys do that and to me it ruins the autograph. Frank Thomas does it as well. Almost all his autos end up looking like crap. All Day AP started doing it as well.

Halonut

Aug 7, 2008
the auto grades are bulls---. one of their major criteria for a "10" auto is that the auto stays within the designated area yet most of the jesus montero bdp sigs grade out a 10?!?!?!?

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
cgilmo said:
who ever said the autograph grade didn't matter?
Agreed. I think it's ridiculous how much attention is paid to the autograph grade. Older graded cards which do not have the autograph graded often go for significantly less than one's with a 10 autograph, despite the fact that the autograph grade looks perfect.

Members online

Latest posts