Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Brad Pitt as Billy Beane in 'Moneyball' Movie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

plainwhitejerseys

May 20, 2009
No, I think it would make an awful movie.

Go read the book right now though. I bought it, read it, lost it, bought a first edition for my bookshelf, accidentally left it on a low shelf and my rabbit ate it. So now I have to buy a 3rd copy.

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
plainwhitejerseys said:

Go read the book right now though. I bought it, read it, lost it, bought a first edition for my bookshelf, accidentally left it on a low shelf and my rabbit ate it. So now I have to buy a 3rd copy.

I second the awful movie opinion. I also don't think it is a very good book and the "Moneyball" concept is misunderstood by at least 70% of the people who read the book.

justwar

Aug 7, 2008
plainwhitejerseys said:

Its one of those things I always think to do when I DONT have the time, then when I have the time I completely forget about or Im doing other things

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Pitt gets sloppy seconds after Soderbergh and Clooney.

Craig - 21hawk said:
Brad Pitt? Like Billy Beane's ego needs to get any bigger.

Makes sense though since Pitt and Soderberg are BFFs.

Craig

plainwhitejerseys

May 20, 2009
ru4scuba said:
I second the awful movie opinion. I also don't think it is a very good book and the "Moneyball" concept is misunderstood by at least 70% of the people who read the book.

What is it that people misunderstand? What do they think the concept is? What do you think it really is?

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
I'm currently reading the book right now

The movie might blow, but I really wanna see it

Halonut

Aug 7, 2008
plainwhitejerseys said:
ru4scuba said:

What is it that people misunderstand? What do they think the concept is? What do you think it really is?

people generally confuse the money ball mindset with the a's offensive philosophy (high ob%). money ball basically sums up how a small to medium market team stays competitive through offering arbitration to players which they cannot afford in order to receive draft pick compensation in return. they focus on college players which they deem as being closer to contributing at the big league level and they place more emphasis on statistics and success on the field than tools/projection

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
plainwhitejerseys said:
ru4scuba said:

Most people who have read it and Joe Morgan think the Moneyball concept is more specific than it really is. People commonly refer to the goal of Moneyball is to load a team with players with high OBP because that stat was highlighted in the book. Moneyball is simply about exploiting over looked and under valued skills in the market when building a team.

plainwhitejerseys

May 20, 2009
ru4scuba said:
plainwhitejerseys said:
ru4scuba said:

Most people who have read it and Joe Morgan think the Moneyball concept is more specific than it really is. People commonly refer to the goal of Moneyball is to load a team with players with high OBP because that stat was highlighted in the book. Moneyball is simply about exploiting over looked and under valued skills in the market when building a team.

It's not even that specific. It's a business book (by a business author) that uses a sports story as its example. It's meant to be applicable to business in general. I know it has certainly helped me in several aspects of my life, from my research to my business. Works wonders in stocks when you're in a bull market, and it can even be applied during a bear market if you're careful.

It's cool that most people don't get the concepts in that book. If they did, it would be a lot harder to make money.

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
plainwhitejerseys said:
ru4scuba said:
plainwhitejerseys said:
ru4scuba said:

It's not even that specific. It's a business book (by a business author) that uses a sports story as its example. It's meant to be applicable to business in general. I know it has certainly helped me in several aspects of my life, from my research to my business. Works wonders in stocks when you're in a bull market, and it can even be applied during a bear market if you're careful.

It's cool that most people don't get the concepts in that book. If they did, it would be a lot harder to make money.

True, the basic concept of the book is the exploitation of overlooked and under valued commodities which can be translated into many fields. I just left it in the baseball context because of where we're talking about the book.

Also, the part of Scott Hatteberg will be played by Scott Hatteberg. :lol:

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
Brad Pitt and Daniel Day Lewis are my favorite actors. I think Pitt will do an excellent job.

Allen

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
ru4scuba said:
plainwhitejerseys said:
ru4scuba said:
plainwhitejerseys said:
ru4scuba said:

True, the basic concept of the book is the exploitation of overlooked and under valued commodities which can be translated into many fields. I just left it in the baseball context because of where we're talking about the book.

I also believe I heard that David Justice, Lenny Dysktra, Darryl Strawberry, Art Howe, Rick Peterson will be in it.

I think I saw that Chad Bradford might be in it as well, with a lot of other players.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
...and Scott Hatteberg, who will play himself in the movie, is quoted in this weeks S/I as saying "I don't know how you can screw up playing yourself but I'm afraid I will." :lol: :lol: :lol:

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
Skorris CCBC said:
ru4scuba said:
plainwhitejerseys said:
ru4scuba said:
plainwhitejerseys said:
[quote="ru4scuba":90xfsyz3]

I also believe I heard that David Justice, Lenny Dysktra, Darryl Strawberry, Art Howe, Rick Peterson will be in it.

I think I saw that Chad Bradford might be in it as well, with a lot of other players.[/quote:90xfsyz3]

I had no interest in seeing this movie, but because of the players getting roles I'm starting to change my mind.

Gellman

Sep 2, 2008
ru4scuba said:
plainwhitejerseys said:

That doesnt mean it is a bad book, it just means there are stupid people. Moneyball is one of my favorite books of all time.

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
Gellman said:
ru4scuba said:
plainwhitejerseys said:

That doesnt mean it is a bad book, it just means there are stupid people. Moneyball is one of my favorite books of all time.

Lewis' inability to convey a simple concept and his tendency to embellish and exaggerate the facts is why I don't care for the book. I realize Lewis is a writer and he's going to try to romanticize the story but I think he goes too far in the two books of his that I have read and have good knowledge of.

Members online

Latest posts