Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Laporta sent down...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WJCIII

Dec 30, 2008
According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Laporta was optioned to AAA and Crowe was recalled.

It never ceases to amaze me when these clubs bring these kids up, put them in a situation where they can't possibly succeed, and then send them back down. Why bother bringing the kid up if you aren't going to give him more than a half doze AB's each week? Granted he didn't do much while he was up, but isn't it more beneficial to have him playing everyday at AAA instead of against lefties and pinch hitting in Cleveland?

I apologize if this has been posted already.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
He really wasn't set up to have any success with where he was batting in the lineup and he made several mental mistakes on the field by not fielding his position properly when the Indians were trying him out at 1st base.

WJCIII

Dec 30, 2008
JoshHamilton said:
And this is why prospectors have no future being managers or GM's

What do prospectors have to do with anything? I just don't know why any team brings up a top prospect to sit the bench. Simple science will tell you that people get the most benefit from repetitions, and when you bring a guy up and playing 35% of the time he loses repetitions.

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
WJCIII said:
JoshHamilton said:

What do prospectors have to do with anything? I just don't know why any team brings up a top prospect to sit the bench. Simple science will tell you that people get the most benefit from repetitions, and when you bring a guy up and playing 35% of the time he loses repetitions.

Repitition is the mother of learning.....

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
He got his feet wet and he will be back up soon. It is not like he will stay in the minors forever lol. He will go back and beast in AAA and he will get called back.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I predicted an epic failure. With his fragile feelings, I am sure this will make him more of a pain to graph. 1st Rickie Weeks, then Laporta, which superstar prospect is next to think he cant scribble is name on ball when asked ? Yonder ?

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Maybe there's more to being a major leaguer than you think. It could be that he was brought up to experience the non-playing aspects of being a big leaguer.

Makes me think of what Crash Davis said when he was talking about having guys take your luggage, etc. when you're a big leaguer. This extra stuff all seems important to me and would take time to get used to, but like yourself, I was never on a big league team before.

WJCIII said:
JoshHamilton said:

WJCIII

Dec 30, 2008
uniquebaseballcards said:
Maybe there's more to being a major leaguer than you think. It could be that he was brought up to experience the non-playing aspects of being a big leaguer.

Makes me think of what Crash Davis said when he was talking about having guys take your luggage, etc. when you're a big leaguer. This extra stuff all seems important to me and would take time to get used to, but like yourself, I was never on a big league team before.

WJCIII said:
JoshHamilton said:

A good point, but this can be done in September. Last year the Pirates had Andrew McCutchen travel with the big league club in September to get used to the major league lifestyle. They didn't add him to the roster, they just had him travel with the club once his minor league season is over. This seems more logical to me than pulling him out of AAA at a time when he's on fire, sit him on the big league bench, and send him back to AAA 3 weeks later. I'm all for bringing a guy up, playing him, and sending him back down if he struggles, but Laporta never got regular playing time. I just don't understand this philosophy, but I don't get paid to manage either.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Maybe they want him to actually produce and concentrate the next time he's up and not be thinking about all the extraneous stuff.

Besides, what exactly is the hurry for him to be up so fast??

WJCIII said:

WJCIII said:
JoshHamilton said:

A good point, but this can be done in September. Last year the Pirates had Andrew McCutchen travel with the big league club in September to get used to the major league lifestyle. They didn't add him to the roster, they just had him travel with the club once his minor league season is over. This seems more logical to me than pulling him out of AAA at a time when he's on fire, sit him on the big league bench, and send him back to AAA 3 weeks later. I'm all for bringing a guy up, playing him, and sending him back down if he struggles, but Laporta never got regular playing time. I just don't understand this philosophy, but I don't get paid to manage either.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
WJCIII said:

WJCIII said:
JoshHamilton said:

Post thanked, this is exactly how I feel too.

Furthermore, Cleveland is in last place by 8.5 games right now so it's not like they were on a roll and didn't want to change things up and potentially ruin that by throwing LaPorta in. I'm a big fan of Major League teams who give their young up and coming talent a chance to contribute when the team is struggling.

walter55

Aug 7, 2008
In three days he will rise back up from the minors to take his rightful place in the major leagues again.

WJCIII

Dec 30, 2008
Maybe they want him to actually produce and concentrate the next time he's up and not be thinking about all the extraneous stuff.

Besides, what exactly is the hurry for him to be up so fast??

WJCIII said:

WJCIII said:
JoshHamilton said:

I never said I thought he should have been up, but I think if you bring him up then it should be to play everyday. Take a look at the Brewers with Alcides Escobar. I think the easy thing to do would have been to rush him up when Weeks got hurt, but the team knows they wouldn't roll him out there everyday. He's got things to work on like plate discipline, so they left him down even though he's probably better than Counsell right now. They did the same with Gamel for the most part. I just think this makes more sense, why call him up if you don't intend to play him? Like Hype said, why wouldn't Cleveland give him a shot given how bad they are?

For the record, I've never been a big Laporta guy, but bringing up your top prospect and putting him on the bench does not make sense to me.

PronkDH48

Aug 7, 2008
Wooster, OH
19braves77 said:
I predicted an epic failure. With his fragile feelings, I am sure this will make him more of a pain to graph. 1st Rickie Weeks, then Laporta, which superstar prospect is next to think he cant scribble is name on ball when asked ? Yonder ?

LaPorta has had 42 ABs in the bigs. I don't think thats a fair time to decide he's a failure. And he's a good guy. Not sure what you are basing your other statement on, as he has signed a ball for me in the past.

Members online

Latest posts