Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Comapring Zach Britton with Brian Matusz

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

soccerman034

Aug 12, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Both are pitching at Class A+ Fredrick. Both are tall lefties with good stuff.

Here are their stat lines for this season:

Matusz: 2.68 ERA, 53.2 IP, 65/19 SO to BB ratio, 1.54 GO/AO, 5 HR, .230 BAA

Britton: 2.54 ERA, 47.2 IP, 47/26 SO to BB ratio, 2.29 GO/AO, 3 HR, .222 BAA

Britton stats are big skewed because of his work hourse nature. Here is an example of that:

Date OPP ERA SV IP H ER BB SO
May 16 @KIN 1 0 0.00 0 6.0 4 0 2 6
May 17 @KIN 1 0 5.40 0 5.0 5 3 3 4

He had his worst outing of the season due to the fact he pitched a 5 inning releif spot after pitching 6 innings one day earlier.

With all of that said, I think that they are VERY similar. Britton does have more experience at the professional level, but he is also 6+ months younger than Matusz. Brian does tend to get more strikeouts (up to this point), but Britton tends to get more GO and less H.

Previous to this season, Matusz was ranked as the 25th best prospect in baseball by Baseball America. Where do you think Britton would rank if next season if he continues on his torrid pace :?:

(Disclaimer: I have a red and blue refractor of Britton, but am not planning on selling them. This post was not intended to "pimp" Britton, just to bring up an interesting prospect comparison.)

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
I don't know too much on Britton but I am a pretty big fan of Matusz & have a stash that resembles such, and if Britton has the type of offerring's that Matusz does then I'd definitely like to know more about him! I'm not sure what type of pitcher Britton is predicted to be (frontline, middle, backend, or even relief) but B.Matusz IMO will be a #1, I know there are site's that boast Matusz will be a #2 but I just don't agree- given the stuff he's already shown!

Anyhow, I figured I'd comment although I'm not educated on Britton, as I truly appreciate the effort put forth by member's trying to inspire meaningful discussion! :D

soccerman034

Aug 12, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Thanks for the response. I do think Britton has a ceiling comparable to Matusz despite their fundamental differences at a pitching level; Britton is more likely to cause a ground out than a strikeout, and Matusz is the opposite. I think that both of them will become quality big league arms barring injury issues.

Members online

Latest posts