Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Question for all of the young folk...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lally1

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
I was wondering. I am 16, almost 17, and still have a hard time telling my friends I collect baseball cards. I don't really have any friends who collect, but a couple of kids that do know that I collect tell me that collecting baseball cards is like a 16 year old girl collecting barbie dolls. :lol:

Do you guys keep your collection to yourself or do other people know you collect?

Groat

Feb 7, 2009
After high school, people become less petty. I don't generally bring it up, but when people come over to my place and see my collection they are generally pretty amazed that cards have come so far. I really can't think of a time that people have given me much crap for collecting cards.

cardinals0103

Oct 5, 2008
Kansas
18 here and I get crap (friendly manner) from buddies about me selling stuff via ebay. I have nothing to say to them except that i'm bringing in $$$ while sitting at home. :lol:

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
cardinals0103 said:
18 here and I get crap (friendly manner) from buddies about me selling stuff via ebay. I have nothing to say to them except that i'm bringing in $$$ while sitting at home. :lol:

Amen brother.

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
I don't hide my collection. People I know don't give a ****. They actually wanted to start collecting but they gave up.

Lally1

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
jbone17 said:
cardinals0103 said:

Amen brother.
They all wonder why I have so much money to spend at Mickey D's. :lol:

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
I'm 22 and I've been open about it my entire life. Wow, that' makes it sound like my sexuality or something.

It's baseball cards. What's wrong with that? I even got a few of my friends into it. A few laugh, but I just say things like "Dude, my card collection is worth more than your car." It shuts them up.

For the most part though, they're either indifferent or uninterested, but never ripping on me about it.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
I'm 28 now, but I collected from the time I was 14.

In high school, I had no problem telling people I collected and even set up at local shows in I was a Junior/Senior in HS.

Many of my close friends collected, so I had that going for me.

Why be ashamed for being who you are? At least your hobby is getting drunk or high.

Be proud of your hobbies, not embarrassed.

Lally1

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
tonsofcommons said:
I'm 28 now, but I collected from the time I was 14.

In high school, I had no problem telling people I collected and even set up at local shows in I was a Junior/Senior in HS.

Many of my close friends collected, so I had that going for me.

Why be ashamed for being who you are? At least your hobby is getting drunk or high.

Be proud of your hobbies, not embarrassed.
I was thinkin' that too. I would def. rather be collecting and spending money on cards, rather than drugs and all that ****.

Invest4thefuture

Aug 17, 2008
I really haven't told anyone except for close friends... I just find it odd. Maybe that will change but whatever, I don't think I'll be as involved after these next few months... trying to "upsize" my collection to include more high end cards and less lower end. Quality over quantity for me.

thinjim

Nov 16, 2008
Almost all of my friends on the baseball team collected when we were younger. But I think I'm the only one that stuck with it. Idk I'd they would care if I told them now.... But other than that I haven't told anyone.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
Just about everyone that knows me knows that I buy/sell cards. In HS I joked with the kids that sold dro by saying I probably make more money selling stuff legally than them selling stuff illegally.

Ian Stewart

Aug 7, 2008
bballcardkid said:
Just about everyone that knows me knows that I buy/sell cards. In HS I joked with the kids that sold dro by saying I probably make more money selling stuff legally than them selling stuff illegally.

Those kids must not have known what they were doing..

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Ian Stewart said:
bballcardkid said:

Hahahahahahaha. Post of the day right there. :lol:

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Ian Stewart said:
bballcardkid said:

Probably nickle and diming. Or using their stash.

Jesusmontero

Mar 5, 2009
Im 15/16 and my close friends know, but I tend to keep it to my self. My good friend is a lot more open about it and doesn't really care who's around. For me there's a time and a place to talk cards.

Members online