Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Authenticating and protecting my collection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
What is the best, least expensive way to get about 300 cards Beckett authenticated?? Do they offer a discount if you're not looking for a grade? Would they do this at a show?

Any and all advice appreciated. I think I may have asked this a year or two ago, but need to ask again.

muchuckwagon

Oct 8, 2008
Deceased
What are you trying to accomplish by authenticating your collection? It would seem pointless to do this with modern or vintage cards. Any high-value card in an authentic slab cries out altered or very low grade if you were to try and sell the card down the line. Either have the cards graded or save your money...if you don't think your modern cards will grade out at least a BGS 9 or better, you are throwing good money down the drain.....even a BGS 9 will most likely be a losing proposition.

I have heard people make the statement they grade their PC to protect the cards....however, the costs seem to exceed the benefits....tack on shipping/insurance both ways....you are looking at $7 per card at least.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Thanks, jeffv96masters, sounds like the best way to go.

muchuckwagon, thanks I understand the pros and cons and am not interested in grading anything modern at all. I need to slab for the reaons I put forth initially - for protection and for authentication. It just makes sense given what I collect, just looking to save some $.

muchuckwagon said:
What are you trying to accomplish by authenticating your collection? It would seem pointless to do this with modern or vintage cards. Any high-value card in an authentic slab cries out altered or very low grade if you were to try and sell the card down the line. Either have the cards graded or save your money...if you don't think your modern cards will grade out at least a BGS 9 or better, you are throwing good money down the drain.....even a BGS 9 will most likely be a losing proposition.

I have heard people make the statement they grade their PC to protect the cards....however, the costs seem to exceed the benefits....tack on shipping/insurance both ways....you are looking at $7 per card at least.

autocut

muchuckwagon said:

I disagree. It can be done for insurance purposes also. Just depends on your reasoning for doing it. If you do it to flip, waste of money. If you have a rare card, its worth it. This only graded out to be a 6.5, but find me another one.

prizzutobatautobgs65.jpg

Members online

Latest posts