Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What happens when a switch hitter vs a switch pitcher?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
There is now a rule that the pitcher must declare the hand he wants to use at the start of the AB, and then the batter can decide.

This is unofficially called the Pat Venditte rule..

Johan Santana 57

Aug 8, 2008
Harrison, NY
thefasterblade said:
I've seen the video before, I always felt that the pitcher was in the wrong there.

I disagree. If the batter is getting ready as a lefty and then the manager mixes it up and changes pitchers to a lefty, the batter can swing righty then. I think since pitching righty and lefty is tougher, he should get the advantage.

CISCOKID23

Aug 7, 2008
CANT WAIT FOR HIS FIRST BOWMAN CARD :lol: ...BE COOL FOR THEM TO DO ONE OF THOSE DOUBLE..TRIPLE SHOTS SHOWING HIM PITCHING FROM BOTH SIDES :D

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
First of all, it was not Pat's fault. He was ready to go from one side when this ***** batter switched. It was 100% the hitters fault here. If he had a Bowman card and I met him IP. I would get a lefty autograph and a righty autograph on the same card.

CISCOKID23

Aug 7, 2008
jbone17 said:
First of all, it was not Pat's fault. He was ready to go from one side when this ***** batter switched. It was 100% the hitters fault here. If he had a Bowman card and I met him IP. I would get a lefty autograph and a righty autograph on the same card.

:lol: :lol: ....WONDER IF HE SAN SIGN CLEARLY WITH BOTH HANDS

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
CISCOKID23 said:
jbone17 said:

:lol: :lol: ....WONDER IF HE SAN SIGN CLEARLY WITH BOTH HANDS

We will find out lol. :lol:

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Here are some custom cards that I made and had him sign last year when he was on the SI Yankees playing against the Vermont Lake Monsters.

venditte-1.jpg

This is him with his warm up, two thumbed, glove .

venditte2.jpg

Here is a Video I took of him pitching in the ninth.

[youtube:1oh133rw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB4gRo-Fvw0[/youtube:1oh133rw]

I didn't ask him to sign with both hands but I think he signed these three right handed. He also signed a ball for me.

thefasterblade

Aug 8, 2008
After watching the video I could tell that hes naturally a right-handed. I can somewhat throw with both arms and the largest problem I have when throwing with my left is positioning my body (most importantly, my legs and hips). Hes done a great job to make it as fluid as possible, but you can still tell that when he throws lefty, his body doesn't move as natural. Its very impressive though.

jpcz

Aug 10, 2008
NY
That was a neat video, sparked some talk here in the athletic department i work in.

Personally, i think that it is the pitchers fault. Everyone who says that the batter was warming up left handed, and therefore was ready to go lefty, is not really thinking. Why was he warming up lefty? Because the pitcher was pitching righty!! If the pitcher was pitching lefty, he would have been warming up righty. This is entirely the pitchers faulyt IMO, since he switched immediately following the batter. Kind of a sneaky move...however, i think that the umpires and the teams were not prepared for this, which made it the mess it was.

Members online

Latest posts