Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

UD - Razor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

notoriousrmb

Aug 7, 2008
Above Ground
Regardless of who is funding Razor, does it really make a bit of difference as to the prospecting value of the product? Is it shady? Sure, but what does that matter when it comes down to what these cards are supposed to mean to prospectors.

If anything, having an UD backing makes the Razor line more legit. I'm tired of hearing all the stories. Pick any sucessful company and I bet there will be some "shady" dealings going on behind the scenes.

If UD really did think up all this to compete with Bowman, isn't that just good business sense?

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
chashawk said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
chashawk said:
Judd weighs in

http://www.thesportscardfile.com/?p=347

Make of it what you will.

Your reason to open old cans or worms?

Weak.

Ummmm....he just posted it today?
I thought there might be some interest?
Why do you care?

I just think it's weak to keep opening this can of worms. I don't really care about the issue either way, but it's just so old at this point.

That blog post is still all hearsay and unconfirmed details. Nothing is confirmed absolute fact, so the real answer is - who cares?

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
NECpilgrims8 said:
chashawk said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
chashawk said:
Judd weighs in

Weak.

Why do you care?

I just think it's weak to keep opening this can of worms. I don't really care about the issue either way, but it's just so old at this point.

That blog post is still all hearsay and unconfirmed details. Nothing is confirmed absolute fact, so the real answer is - who cares?

I'm guessing at least a few people. Gilmore has previously confirmed that Judd is a very legit source.

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
NECpilgrims8 said:
chashawk said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
chashawk said:
Judd weighs in

Weak.

Why do you care?

I haven't read the blog yet, but considering the source is someone who is supposed to be an insider and this is a hobby discussion board I don't understand why you're pitching a fit about this.

WaxHeaven

Nov 7, 2008
Florida
NECpilgrims8 said:
chashawk said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
chashawk said:
Judd weighs in

Weak.

Why do you care?

The memo brought in 10,000+ hits in 48 hours, small numbers compared to FBC, but huge for a card blog. It was also linked by over 5 different forums. Trust me, people care.

As for Judd, Gilmore has stated that he is the most reliable source in the blogosphere. Clearly, people trust what this guy has to say.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I have no issues with this information being posted again although it is old news. The blog just confirms what we all already know. Is it a smart business move on UD's part? Maybe. I mean they were trying to devalue their competition's product after all. I am just not personally comfortable with the whole back room dealings between UD and Brian, it just gives me a slimey feeling and this is the reason I will not buy either companies product!

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
ru4scuba said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
chashawk said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
chashawk said:
Judd weighs in

Weak.

Why do you care?

I haven't read the blog yet, but considering the source is someone who is supposed to be an insider and this is a hobby discussion board I don't understand why you're pitching a fit about this.

Hardly pitching a fit. All I said is that it's tiresome to keep rehashing this. My thoughts about the Razor products have done a 180 in the past months, so I really have nothing much invested overall.

I have no gripe, but rather a big whatever to all of this. I equate it to the news of steroids in baseball.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
NECpilgrims8 said:
ru4scuba said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
chashawk said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
[quote="chashawk":2my2tvm2]Judd weighs in

Weak.

Why do you care?

[/quote:2my2tvm2]

Hardly pitching a fit. All I said is that it's tiresome to keep rehashing this. My thoughts about the Razor products have done a 180 in the past months, so I really have nothing much invested overall.

I have no gripe, but rather a big whatever to all of this. I equate it to the news of steroids in baseball.[/quote]

Which oddly enough, people continue to be interested in. :lol:

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
chashawk said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
ru4scuba said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
chashawk said:
[quote="NECpilgrims8":39zkdfk0][quote="chashawk":39zkdfk0]Judd weighs in

Weak.

Why do you care?

[/quote:39zkdfk0]

I have no gripe, but rather a big whatever to all of this. I equate it to the news of steroids in baseball.[/quote:39zkdfk0]

Which oddly enough, people continue to be interested in. :lol:[/quote]

Touche.

lordsepic

Aug 9, 2008
I am glad this was posted because it finally puts some closure to the speculation and hearsay. Thanks for the read

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Shady things, yep, they were done, this just adds to the pile of evidence or at least speculated evidence.

However, the real question for me is this, as far as I know, the exclusive contracts are still quite valid AND with all this news has come lack of news in another fashion, no news has been heard about 2009 releases for Razor. Thus, are the Metal, Sig Series and Letterman cards of these prospects the only ones we are going to see until they make it to the MLB?

If so, it presents a real interesting proposition for prospectors, do you invest in a product/brand that has some baggage to get the upside of the prospect you like and the limited amount of cards that have been released of said prospect?

i43770

Aug 7, 2008
Portland, OR
I personally think this, maybe not this blog but the story as a whole, is big news. If this is true, it was smart of UD to do this to attempt to hurt Bowman's sales of Draft. But the issue I see of this being known is the MLB. I believe that this could end up hurting UD much more than it hurt Bowman. If UD loses it's license over this, they will be down to football and hockey. As much as the Super Bowl is watched, the cards don't carry the same clout as baseball cards do.

if anything this does not increase the legitimacy to razor it makes me second guess any upper deck product. game worn, event worn, and autos. if they will go to this length to mislead the collecting community and deny all the rumors as liable then why wouldnt they act in some tomfoolery with those? at least with sp and prospect premiers there was an upper deck logo. doing this out of spite is small. i wonder what ud would do if topps did some cut autos of michael jordan or kobe in their last basketball run!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts