Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Hockey Patch forger caught

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
Unsure if this has been posted. it's Hockey but to make you aware of a scammer....

Caught altering Hockey cards.

[L=On Hobby Insider]http://www.hobbyinsider.net/forum/showthread.php?t=201402[/L]

Ugh.... you have to sign in/register to view the link. weak. Basically he was/is switching patches in Hockey cards.

Patch forger... caught!

This investigation by HI members has been ongoing for awhile now. Having evidence is always critical in finding a true forger, and we now have substantial enough information to send to eBay, Upper Deck and the RCMP, along with the eBay members who bought his forged cards. This is not defined as "fraud", but "forgery", under the Criminal Code of Canada. It will be interesting to see how this moves forward, but for now... this forger is CAUGHT.

Using at least two eBay IDs, this person has done several questionable purchases, forgeries and re-sells; however, I am showing ONLY those fake patch cards that are bulletproof obvious. There are about a dozen other auctions we have been watching... waiting for forged versions to show up. In some cases, he bought, forged & sold the cards under the same user ID (hnic_787); in other cases, he sold under the second ID (kao_seneca), likely to try and cover some tracks. His note in his auctions at the bottom says “I am a new Ebay seller, but I am honest and will try my best to provide the best service possible. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me, Bid with confidence! THANKS!” Honest, eh?

eBay contact information for one of the usernames, provided by an HI member, shows his full name & address; the other is listed under another name. After being provided emails from two different HI members on two different occasions, we were able to source the IP addresses of both eBay IDs, which are identical. As well, those IP addresses are linked directly to an HI membership IP address. Interestingly, the cell phones linked to both members’ eBay accounts were registered at the same cell phone shop in downtown Toronto. Just another nail in the coffin.

Here is the information we have to share:

Some evidence showing the two eBay IDs are likely the same person. Notice the way these somewhat identical cards are detailed:

[http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280320483252

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170329622285

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220369075331

http://cgi.ebay.com/07-08-UD-The-CUP-LIMITED-LOGOS-AUTO-PATCH-MALKIN-25-4C_W0QQitemZ170329804511

BNcV8dw2kKGrHgoOKiIEjlLmWNBBJpr9Bmd.jpg
ForgedMalkinAltered.jpg

ForgedWeberOriginal.jpg
ForgedWeberAltered.jpg

ForgedDawesOriginal.jpg
ForgedDawesAltered.jpg

ForgedKopeckyOriginal.jpg
ForgedKopeckyAltered.jpg

15/20

ForgedKiprusoffOriginal.jpg
ForgedKiprusoffAltered.jpg

ForgedKaneOriginal.jpg
ForgedKaneAltered.jpg

41/50

ForgedBergeronOriginal1.jpg
ForgedBergeronAltered.jpg

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
unless i pull it or see someone pull it, no way im buying any patch on ebay from anyone.
damn this is insane

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
Nothing will happen legally. Ebay will remove his account, which he will find a way to make a new one in a couple weeks. At that point he'll start doing it all over again.

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
boomo said:
unless i pull it or see someone pull it, no way im buying any patch on ebay from anyone.
damn this is insane

Sadly, I've taken that stance for a while now. Even if the eBay seller you're buying from isn't a patch faker, there is no way of telling if they bought the card from a faker and are reselling it.

plainwhitejerseys

May 20, 2009
I don't see what the big deal is. On the RCs, those come from event-worn jerseys anyway. Most likely, the player never touched the jersey they patches are taken from, but at best, the player put the jersey on and took it off. So what difference does it make if the patch came from a jersey that UD bought, or one that this guy bought?

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
It's not authentic, and his deception netted him a lot more money on the sale than a regular swatch would have.

plainwhitejerseys said:
I don't see what the big deal is. On the RCs, those come from event-worn jerseys anyway. Most likely, the player never touched the jersey they patches are taken from, but at best, the player put the jersey on and took it off. So what difference does it make if the patch came from a jersey that UD bought, or one that this guy bought?

Penno

Sep 5, 2008
Oxford, AL
The last patch doesn't seem like it would be worth faking. I mean, he put a sick patch in it, but the original one wasn't a horrible single color like the rest in the post.

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
Penno said:
The last patch doesn't seem like it would be worth faking. I mean, he put a sick patch in it, but the original one wasn't a horrible single color like the rest in the post.

More than likely with Kane that equaled at least a $100 gain by adding that faked patch.....

TK

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
plainwhitejerseys said:

because the card was in fact altered

would you buy a trimmed card?

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
One of these days I hope the entire game used card gimmick ends. With patch fakers running rampant and who even knows how legit most of the jerseys card companies are cutting up in the first place. I would much rather see card companies go with either redemptions for full jersey/bat,cap ect...or doing something where full game used item is intact and boxed out.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
matchpenalty said:
One of these days I hope the entire game used card gimmick ends. With patch fakers running rampant and who even knows how legit most of the jerseys card companies are cutting up in the first place. I would much rather see card companies go with either redemptions for full jersey/bat,cap ect...or doing something where full game used item is intact and boxed out.

If you take game used cards out of the picture people will begin to focus their efforts on faking autos.

Penno

Sep 5, 2008
Oxford, AL
pujolsthomefan33 said:
Penno said:

More than likely with Kane that equaled at least a $100 gain by adding that faked patch.....

TK

No doubt, I agree there was money to be made, but I would find at least a worse copy to maximize profits. But for all I know, that could have been the worst copy.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
Which is already beginning to happen. Scammers will always find something.

Tomlinson21RB said:
matchpenalty said:

If you take game used cards out of the picture people will begin to focus their efforts on faking autos.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
It's crap like this that makes me happy to not collect/buy/sell jersey or patch cards. What a racket it has become. The only ones I WOULD ever buy are the one or two-color boring ones, at least you know they are most likely legit.

jeremy

Aug 7, 2008
YOU KNOW
ForgedDawesAltered.jpg

i dont know about yall but that card looks legit, no way i would know it was faque w/o seeing the other pic of the same serial number.

that just looks like a normal patch card, not a perfectly centered logo like the faques go you know/

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
ffgameman said:
Which is already beginning to happen. Scammers will always find something.

Tomlinson21RB said:
matchpenalty said:

Other than buybacks, it's much harder to do. You would have to print a completely new card to fake say a Longoria Chrome auto.

It's past time for an online database from the company making the cards. It would be fairly easy to do, and would get people to trust them again. I know Topps at least cares about secondary values. They know it's what drives sales of their products.

Latest posts