Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone See The Bryce Harper Bit on Yahoo??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trevordchi

Aug 9, 2008
Man that kid is arrogant. All you people that bashed me for blaming the parents can keep bashing. NO ONE is that arrogant w/o mommy and daddy telling him he is the greatest. I'm not saying he needs to be cliche but come on.

I hope he falls on his face and never makes the bigs.

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
trevordchi said:
Man that kid is arrogant. All you people that bashed me for blaming the parents can keep bashing. NO ONE is that arrogant w/o mommy and daddy telling him he is the greatest. I'm not saying he needs to be cliche but come on.

I don't understand the hate. I also think there are more people than just his parents letting him know what talent he has as well.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
This kid is already casting his ballot for the Hall of Fame. I hope he gets hit by a car and he is screwed for life. What a cocky little loser. :evil:

trevordchi

Aug 9, 2008
ru4scuba said:
trevordchi said:

I don't understand the hate. I also think there are more people than just his parents letting him know what talent he has as well.

It's one thing to think about making the majors at 18, making the hall of fame, and being the greatest ever. To tell SI you expect those things is something a cocky, immature, 16 year old does. People that think they are God's gift to anything annoy the hell out of me and this guy definitely thinks his **** don't stink.

thefasterblade

Aug 8, 2008
All he said is he wants to make the HOF. What 16 year old baseball player doesn't. He didn't say he is expecting to or guaranteeing it.

Sammy Sosa said the same thing yesterday. I find him saying that to be crazier than Harper at this point.

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
trevordchi said:
It's one thing to think about making the majors at 18, making the hall of fame, and being the greatest ever. To tell SI you expect those things is something a cocky, immature, 16 year old does. People that think they are God's gift to anything annoy the hell out of me and this guy definitely thinks his shat don't stink.

Sure he's cocky and immature.... but that could be said about 90% of 16 year old males.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
jbone17 said:
This kid is already casting his ballot for the Hall of Fame. I hope he gets hit by a car and he is screwed for life. What a cocky little loser. :evil:

Seriously?

This is uncalled for. I'm fairly certain there were alot of us that could be accused of being cocky 16 year olds and imagine if you had his talent.

I made honorable mention and thought I was on my way to the bigs...

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
trevordchi said:

It's one thing to think about making the majors at 18, making the hall of fame, and being the greatest ever. To tell SI you expect those things is something a cocky, immature, 16 year old does. People that think they are God's gift to anything annoy the hell out of me and this guy definitely thinks his shat don't stink.

Would you have preferred him predicting he'd become an average player with average stats and an average career?

HE'S 16 YEARS OLD!

Nearly all kids his age talk that way, and with all the intense media scrutiny he's under, it's virtually impossible for none of it to go to his head.

If we're talking maturity, let's re-read the bolded statement you just wrote.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
ru4scuba said:
trevordchi said:

Sure he's cocky and immature.... but that could be said about 90% of 16 year old males.

Good point, but when you have this much media attention people will be listening. When people are listening, the bite will always be harder. This kid needs to use his brain and think. He can bark about his fame all that he wants like every 16 year old, but when he hits the big time he will wake up.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
jbone17 said:

::facepalm::

TraderJake

Aug 7, 2008
thefasterblade said:
All he said is he wants to make the HOF. What 16 year old baseball player doesn't. He didn't say he is expecting to or guaranteeing it.

Sammy Sosa said the same thing yesterday. I find him saying that to be crazier than Harper at this point.

Sosa does have 600 major league home runs. Steroids or not I dont think it is crazy for him to at least want to make the hall.

aw00d05

Dec 18, 2008
thefasterblade said:

I agree 100%, he said he can't wait so that he can try to become a HOFer and the best ever, not that he will be...

Casey2884

Aug 7, 2008
Manhattan
thefasterblade said:

Agreed ... aren't young ball players supposed to have aspirations to make the bigs, be a star, and make the HOF? Just because he says his goals out loud in an interview makes him any different or worse than every other kid who says they wanna be a pro baseball player when he grows up?

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
63713938.qaEEdjG9.popcorn.gif

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
phillyfan0417 said:
jbone17 said:

Seriously?

This is uncalled for. I'm fairly certain there were alot of us that could be accused of being cocky 16 year olds and imagine if you had his talent.

I made honorable mention and thought I was on my way to the bigs...

If I had his talent and were talking to the media, I would actually have brains and keep my mouth shut. All it takes is a little silence, and you will be free. Sosa is way different at this point. The man had a career steroids or not. He has proven himself. This kid could have a career ending injury and then he has to eat his own words.

A_Pharis

While I wouldn't wish harm onhim, I do think he needs to be put into his place.

There are so many new dynamics that come with the MLB that you don't see in high school ball (e.g.: REAL breaking balls and wooden bats). What this kid needs to realize is that he has "raw" talent - that's not always going to translate into "real" talent or ability.

Is the fact that he can throw a 96 MPH fastball impressive? Yes, it is... but you know what a one-pitch pitcher has in the majors? A 96 MPH home-run ball.

Is the fact that he can run fast impressive? Yes, it is... but it'd be a lot harder to score from 2nd on a wild pitch when you're playing against the instincts of a MLB-caliber catcher/pitcher combination.

Is a 570 ft homer impressive? Yes, it is... but not as much from a metal bat in a dome (no wind) in a HOME RUN DERBY. He wasn't exactly facing Randy Johnson while swinging for the fence.

I have a deep feeling that this kid's attitude is going to keep him from heeding the advice that it's going to take him to mold himself into a "real" talent as opposed to a "raw" talent. Maybe he'll catch onto that before he drops out of high school for his GED to get into Jr. college quicker.

I mean, come on? The MLB wants to promote STAY IN SCHOOL, yet they want this kid to take the quick way out to get him into the majors ASAP? What happens with the kid tears a tendon and can't play anymore? Back to Jr. college with that huge signing bonus?

Way to set goals for our youth.

Cocky little bastard. It's almost a shame he could land any woman he wants... Most of 'em wouldn't know a real man if Harper were the only one standing there.

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
jbone17 said:
ru4scuba said:
trevordchi said:

Good point, but when you have this much media attention people will be listening. When people are listening, the bite will always be harder. This kid needs to use his brain and think. He can bark about his fame all that he wants like every 16 year old, but when he hits the big time he will wake up.

.... and history has shown that most of these 16 year old baseball phenoms do get a wake up call. I just don't see the point in bashing the kid. If you read the SI article he seems pretty grounded but has huge dreams.

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
I smell Steroids and PEDs.............

I hope that I am wrong, but I gotta be honest, no 16 year old kid hits homeruns like that..........just doesnt happen.........and doping is getting to be quite common in High Schools.....just wouldnt surprise me..

TK

Members online

Latest posts