Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone watch the Rays a lot? (Insights on Carl Crawford?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Hey, I was wondering if anyone who watches the Rays again could give me some insights on Carl Crawford this season.

As many of you may know Crawford is my favorite player, and I have a ridiculous number of his RC Auto's. While I follow his stats, I rarely get to see any games, so I was hoping someone who sees the team more often could help me out.

After last seasons let down, he's been pretty remarkable this season. Obviously he's been stealing a ton of bases and his batting average has been really solid, but the biggest news for me has been his new found patience (he already has 22 walks, while his career high for a full season is 37.) He's also not hitting for much power.

I was hoping if those who watch him could tell me what they are seeing. Is he hitting the ball with authority, or are many of his hits the "cheap" kind, where he's beating out dribblers and the like. Also, has his whole approach at the plate changed leading to the walks, or is it likely more of a fluke?

Any insights would be awesome.

josh3302

Oct 28, 2008
I watch a ton of Rays games since they are my favorite team. I have always loved Carl and have always thought and still think he is one of the most underrated players in the game. He is on pace for 100 SB's, and to be quite honest I feel he will get there. He has been getting for infield hits than normal. His speed seems like it has increased and he feels more confident running. He is hitting the ball with authority, and seems like the potential power he has always been known to have, has gone away, but he still seems capable of hitting 15 HR's. He seems more confident at the plate and no matter how softly/badly the ball is hit, he hustles it out. He seems like a much better player than he was last year, and probably belongs in the #1 spot since he gets on base so often than the past. That probably would help BJ with Crawford on base most of the time. Hope this helps

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
josh3302 said:
I watch a ton of Rays games since they are my favorite team. I have always loved Carl and have always thought and still think he is one of the most underrated players in the game. He is on pace for 100 SB's, and to be quite honest I feel he will get there. He has been getting for infield hits than normal. His speed seems like it has increased and he feels more confident running. He is hitting the ball with authority, and seems like the potential power he has always been known to have, has gone away, but he still seems capable of hitting 15 HR's. He seems more confident at the plate and no matter how softly/badly the ball is hit, he hustles it out. He seems like a much better player than he was last year, and probably belongs in the #1 spot since he gets on base so often than the past. That probably would help BJ with Crawford on base most of the time. Hope this helps
Thanks for the insights. Definitely useful. I love the fact that he's still on pace for 100 SB's. If he can steal 80 I'd be thrilled. Throw in 10+ homers, and a .300 BA and that would be sick.

Casey2884 said:
Maybe he's getting sick of just being known as a speed guy? 3 HR in his past 6 games ...
I'm not complaining.

Last 10 games:

14/37 3 HR's 6 SB's and 5 BB's. Not bad (especially the walks.)

josh3302

Oct 28, 2008
The fact he has 34 or 35 SB's so far this year, and has been caught once is honestly amazing. He has never stolen bases like this before.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
josh3302 said:
The fact he has 34 or 35 SB's so far this year, and has been caught once is honestly amazing. He has never stolen bases like this before.
He's now been caught twice, but still 34/36 is pretty darn impressive. Pretty crazy that his only RC Auto is still just $30 or so, but it's the reason I've been able to keep picking them up.

i watch alot of rays games, as Longo is my current favorite player playing, Carl is turning on the inside pitches with authority. He has hit alot of gappers into right center. In the past years when he was hampered with his shoulder, he was not able to turn on those inside pitches. This year he is smackin everything. his speed seems to have increased. He is having a All Star Season.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Big Mac McGwire said:
i watch alot of rays games, as Longo is my current favorite player playing, Carl is turning on the inside pitches with authority. He has hit alot of gappers into right center. In the past years when he was hampered with his shoulder, he was not able to turn on those inside pitches. This year he is smackin everything. his speed seems to have increased. He is having a All Star Season.
Thanks for the insights.

Anyone else have anything to add?

Pool Boy

Dec 20, 2008
Top:

Buy the MLB Extra Innings Package. It will be the best $$ you ever spend each year....

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Pool Boy said:
Top:

Buy the MLB Extra Innings Package. It will be the best $$ you ever spend each year....
You're probably right, but the reason I don't watch the games is more due to time restraints than access.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Recent snags:

ScannedImage-4.jpg
ScannedImage-3.jpg

ScannedImage-2.jpg
ScannedImage.jpg

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
yanxyanx said:
I can't believe you won those so cheap from me! I thought for sure they would bring $30 each. Glad to see they arrived safely though.
I was shocked as well, and almost felt bad that I got them for so cheap. Thanks for shipping quickly.

Latest posts