Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Sellers: Anyone accepted Western Union before?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

braves2008champs

Aug 7, 2008
Someone wants to use a western union to purchase a card (rather large purchase) - any thoughts pros/cons? I honeslty have never received or purchased one before, heard of them but that's it. Just don't want to get screwed over, ya know

Thanks for the help!

cubfan131

Aug 18, 2008
Stay far far away. Nearly every scam on eBay starts and ends with Western Union transfers.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
I've used it before with a person in my family. It's far cheaper to just get a money order and send it through the mail.

Also, it's safer for you to accept a money order, because that means the person had the cash to pay. It's entirely possible for a person to steal a credit card and send money via Western Union (trust me on that). If the real owner of the credit card reports it, you might get sucked into it.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Also, you will have to find a Western Union center to receive it. There's usually one in Rite Aid or Eckerd, but varies by locations. They'll ask for your photo ID to accept the payment.

mburgin

Aug 11, 2008
western union is pretty much money in the bank. the only inconvienence is you have to go and get it. while nothing is full proof, western union is really safe to send and receive money. just make sure you pick up the cash before you ship the card. a person can't just walk in with a stolen credit card and send cash like someone mentioned here. there are several ID checks that have to be made first. 90% of the time people pay in cash up front. the buyer shoul send you the special claim # once he pays. you go into the western union place (usually a grocery store or some banks), fill out the paperwork with the number he gives you and you get paid in cash. it's 99.9% safer than anything else. personally, i would take it any day. don't listen to all the conspiracy theorists, it's safe!

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
mburgin said:
western union is pretty much money in the bank. the only inconvienence is you have to go and get it. while nothing is full proof, western union is really safe to send and receive money. just make sure you pick up the cash before you ship the card. a person can't just walk in with a stolen credit card and send cash mike someone mentioned here. there are several ID checks that have to be made first. 90% of the time people pay in cash up front. the buyer shoul send you the special claim # once he pays. you go into the western union place (usually a grocery store or some banks), fill out the paperwork with the number he gives you and you get paid in cash. it's 99.9% safer than anything else. personally, i would take it any day. don't listen to all the conspiracy theorists, it's safe!
I'm speaking from first hand experience when I say about faking it. Not that it happened to me, but let's just say I was friends with some not too good people, and have seen somebody (who's not too bright) do it successfully. They got a few hundred dollars sent to themselves.

braves2008champs

Aug 7, 2008
I emailed him back... my partial response:

I'd love to help you out with your son's birthday, but I'd have to sell it through ebay and I think they require paypal transactions only. It doesn't take very long to sign up online. How would the Western Union work if we go that route, I've never experienced a transaction with that before?

His response

western union is very easy, and u will just have to go to any location...show your license...and they will give u the cash...it will save you paypal fees....and u can end the auction and not have to pay ebay fees as well...lmk....i just bought a ring on ebay and paid western union as well......lmk...you can call me at *** *** ****....i can do western union tonite....thanks...scott

Not gonna pimp the auction,but its over 1,000 transaction so I'm real hesitant to agree to this

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
braves2008champs said:
I emailed him back... my partial response:

I'd love to help you out with your son's birthday, but I'd have to sell it through ebay and I think they require paypal transactions only. It doesn't take very long to sign up online. How would the Western Union work if we go that route, I've never experienced a transaction with that before?

His response

western union is very easy, and u will just have to go to any location...show your license...and they will give u the cash...it will save you paypal fees....and u can end the auction and not have to pay ebay fees as well...lmk....i just bought a ring on ebay and paid western union as well......lmk...you can call me at *** *** ****....i can do western union tonite....thanks...scott

Not gonna pimp the auction,but its over 1,000 transaction so I'm real hesitant to agree to this

If my opinion matters to you at all, I never do off ebay deals because I've been conned before. I saw play it safe and if the guy really wants the card he'll sign up and do it. I would just say paypal or Money Order. Thats usually what I accept

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts