Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why does Fausto Carmona suck so much?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Today, Carmona let up 7 earned runs in only 2 innings.
He's now 2-6 with a 7.42 era with more walks than strikeouts.
Last year, he was 8-7 with a 5.45 era.
I thought after his 19-8, 3.06 era year of 2007 at age 23, he'd become a great pitcher.
Anyone have any theories why he's been terrible after his fantastic 2007 season?

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
Well for strters you cant throw the ball in the same place over and over and expect to not get hit and he can't keep the ball down always high in the zone basically a meatball before in years past he had movement,hitting corners and nice break on the ball

shephech

Aug 18, 2008
Oh Canada......
This post may be the best thing to happen to Fausto! Last time someone made this kinda of post "Why Does Justin Verlander Suck" and after that he has been on a tear!

Seriously though I credit the new tigers pitcher coach Rick Knapp.... :)

thefasterblade

Aug 8, 2008
Supposedly, he is just not throwing hard enough. He had a great 2007 based off of his hard sinker, but without the velocity he was throwing, it has become quite soft and a lot easier to hit.

OhioBobcat3

Aug 7, 2008
Ohio
thefasterblade said:
Supposedly, he is just not throwing hard enough. He had a great 2007 based off of his hard sinker, but without the velocity he was throwing, it has become quite soft and a lot easier to hit.

Everything I've read / heard says that he's been trying to do too much after guys reach base, overthrowing the baseball as a result. A lot of his issues right now are between the ears, but it also doesn't help that the guy has come to spring training overweight for the past two years.

PronkDH48

Aug 7, 2008
Wooster, OH
Fausto's only option was the ASL so hopefully he can get it together. Reminds me a lot of Dontrelle. Walks guys, putting runners on base, and with runners on base he really struggles. I really like Fausto and hopefully for the sake of him, my collection, and the Indians he can get it back together.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
Fausto isn't a pitcher anymore, he's a thrower.

I personally think it's Carl Willis' coaching, but I know I'm probably way in the minority.

It always seems like Fausto is absolutely dominant, then pulls a complete 180 and absolutely stinks. Perhaps if he just had proper coaching things would be different.

Trade him to the Cardinals and Dave Duncan will take care of him.

As for rookie ball, it's really no different than any other minor league. Dontrelle was sent there earlier in the year.

Bornagaincollector

Aug 7, 2008
Cleveland,Ohio
I agree about Carl Willis,this guy doesn't have a clue.Him & Wedge both should be gone.Fausto is still young and should bounce back to be a decent pitcher,but i don't think we will ever see the 07 Carmona.

OhioBobcat3

Aug 7, 2008
Ohio
Skorris CCBC said:

I personally think it's Carl Willis' coaching, but I know I'm probably way in the minority.

It always seems like Fausto is absolutely dominant, then pulls a complete 180 and absolutely stinks. Perhaps if he just had proper coaching things would be different.

As for rookie ball, it's really no different than any other minor league. Dontrelle was sent there earlier in the year.

I read an article this morning where Willis basically says that Carmona looks great in bullpen sessions and seems to have everything perfect and ready to go. The frustrating thing for Willis is that when Fausto starts he can't replicate it. I really think the majority of this is mental, and that's one thing that the Indians have already planned to work with him on in rookie ball.

I really don't think it's the pitching coach in this situation. I have mixed feelings about Willis, but he's not inept. Now Wedge on the other hand.....

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
OhioBobcat3 said:
Skorris CCBC said:

I read an article this morning where Willis basically says that Carmona looks great in bullpen sessions and seems to have everything perfect and ready to go. The frustrating thing for Willis is that when Fausto starts he can't replicate it. I really think the majority of this is mental, and that's one thing that the Indians have already planned to work with him on in rookie ball.

I really don't think it's the pitching coach in this situation. I have mixed feelings about Willis, but he's not inept. Now Wedge on the other hand.....

I see where they are coming from, but if you have been pitching in the majors for a couple years, how could it possibly help your mental state when you are demoted all the way to rookie ball?