Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who thinks Bryce Harper Will Move Positions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

arod305

Aug 7, 2008
I know what kind of hitter he is and what he is projected to be. Although wouldn't you think the wear and tear of catcher may hurt him as a hitter? Could anyone see him moving to an corner out field spot, third, or maybe first base? Just my two cents.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Since he is THE Bryce Harper. And only 16. Maybe he can be like Bugs Bunny and play the Gas House Gorillas by playing every position himself.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
I think a team may move him to keep him fresher and keep his valuable bat in more games. His secondary position is usually listed as 3B, but he played quite a bit of CF for Team USA. I don't think 1B would even be considered, too much of a waste of his tools. If I was a team, I'd look into his ability to play CF or even SS, take advantage of his athleticism and baseball instincts and still keep his bat at a very valuable position. Would be be a Gold Glover at those positions, unlikely, but could he be average, good chance. If he does stay a catcher, hopefully an AL team drafts him, so he can can DH on his days off.

jlecates

Dec 4, 2008
arod305 said:
I know what kind of hitter he is and what he is projected to be. Although wouldn't you think the wear and tear of catcher may hurt him as a hitter? Could anyone see him moving to an corner out field spot, third, or maybe first base? Just my two cents.

There had been some talk last summer that some scouting directors could see him landing in right field if the bat continued to progress and teams were scared off by the strain of catching. He has nice actions at SS right now, but as he gets older and fills out he is not going to have ML range there. The arm and bat will play well in RF, along with more range than your typical player there. All that said though, there are a lot of teams that will want him to stick behind the plate and provide even more value.
Video of Harper at SS: (click the camera next to his profile picture)
http://www.baseballfactory.com/top100/

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
God bless the wonderful S.I. :D

[ebay:10qa9kg2]120430434991[/ebay:10qa9kg2]

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Sweetness said:
:eek: 9.5 bgs for 89.99. Buyer got a steal, his raw USAs are going for almost 40.00ea

Got a link to that? The highest I've seen a raw one sell for was $30.

And as for the "steal", I paid around $5 per base, plus another $5 for grading, so I'm not complaining.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
Jaypers said:
Sweetness said:
:eek: 9.5 bgs for 89.99. Buyer got a steal, his raw USAs are going for almost 40.00ea

Got a link to that? The highest I've seen a raw one sell for was $30.

And as for the "steal", I paid around $5 per base, plus another $5 for grading, so I'm not complaining.

You're welcome!

;)

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
As big as he is right now at 16 I don't think there is anyway he stays a catcher. Not based on skills, but just pure size. It's similar in my mind to a kid who's playing basketball and is 6'8 at 16. If he's currently a guard no way he stays there. Unless for some reason he stops growing completely, he's going to outgrow the position.

On a related note, I can't believe guys catch for 15+ years in the pros. My knees kill me after catching one pick up game. I am 6'4 so maybe that has something to do with it. Still, it's quite impressive.

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
As for the knees i hear that when i was younger i caught for 8 years straight
now my knees are all but gone on my best day i caught 3 straight games in 105 weather with 100 percent humidity absolute 27 innings of hell but we won all 3 :D

nborton said:
As big as he is right now at 16 I don't think there is anyway he stays a catcher. Not based on skills, but just pure size. It's similar in my mind to a kid who's playing basketball and is 6'8 at 16. If he's currently a guard no way he stays there. Unless for some reason he stops growing completely, he's going to outgrow the position.

On a related note, I can't believe guys catch for 15+ years in the pros. My knees kill me after catching one pick up game. I am 6'4 so maybe that has something to do with it. Still, it's quite impressive.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
arod305 said:

It hasn't hurt Mauer too much, and he was regarded at the level or higher than Harper. I guess Mauer has had some injuries, but when you're that good it doesn't really matter.

Morneau switched from a catcher to 1st base after being drafted. I'd assume Harper would do the same sepending on how good he is defensivly.

AndyLaroche#1Fan

May 6, 2009
wolfmanalfredo said:
arod305 said:

It hasn't hurt Mauer too much, and he was regarded at the level or higher than Harper. I guess Mauer has had some injuries, but when you're that good it doesn't really matter.

Morneau switched from a catcher to 1st base after being drafted. I'd assume Harper would do the same sepending on how good he is defensivly.

Why would you move bryce harper to first base? He is fast and has a gun. He would make a great 3rd baseman or right fielder.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
Stop dissing 1st basemen. I swear that 1st basemen get the least love, but if you have a 1st baseman who can't dig a ball out of the dirt, then you're just giving the other team extra at bats. Excellent defensive 1st basemen are hard to find. If Harper could play an excellent 1B, his stock would be just as high.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
lisu said:
Stop dissing 1st basemen. I swear that 1st basemen get the least love, but if you have a 1st baseman who can't dig a ball out of the dirt, then you're just giving the other team extra at bats. Excellent defensive 1st basemen are hard to find. If Harper could play an excellent 1B, his stock would be just as high.
I miss watching J.T. Snow

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
craiger122003 said:
As for the knees i hear that when i was younger i caught for 8 years straight
now my knees are all but gone on my best day i caught 3 straight games in 105 weather with 100 percent humidity absolute 27 innings of hell but we won all 3 :D

nborton said:

At least I have one person on my side. :lol:

I don't think the average person has any idea how much strain there is on the knees playing catcher. Seriously anyone who wants should try squatting and popping up with one of the catchers while watching a game on tv. Do it for a week straight, and I guarantee your knees will kill you. It's no doubt the number one reason catchers are usually shorter, and don't hit worth a crap. Their legs are dead when it comes to hitting.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
I think he would play every position on the field....why not get the most out of his skills? Player gets injured, boom Harper fills in for them! I'd say a player who can play all 9 postitions and can hit 80 HRs/season would be very valuable to any team! :mrgreen:

yankeefan812

Aug 12, 2008
Dville Ghetto
this is random, but when I clicked on the lick to baseballfactory.com top 100 to see Harper's video, I scrolled down a bit more out of curiosity and saw a senior at my High School sitting at 35. I knew he was good, but didn't know he was THAT good :lol:

Members online

Latest posts