Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bryce Harper or Stephen Strasburg?

If Harper was in the 2009 draft, who would you take with the first overall pick?

• Bryce Harper

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cowboysrule48

Aug 7, 2008
Orlando, FL
It's a no-brainer for me. I'll take the guy that might be able to start helping my team this season, rather than the one that is 3-4 years away at best.

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
Give me the hitter, every day of the week. The volatility of pitching prospects is through the roof. One injury can destroy everything.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
pujolsjunkie said:
Give me the hitter, every day of the week. The volatility of pitching prospects is through the roof. One injury can destroy everything.

Absolutely. Exactly why I picked Harper>Strasburg. Ya know, most of me just wants Stephen Strasburg to end up the next Brien Taylor.

Anthony

cowboysrule48

Aug 7, 2008
Orlando, FL
I love how people want players to fail just because of the hype they get. I really don't get it.

I'm looking at it from the business standpoint of the Nationals. Strasburg can put people in the seats this year if he signs soon enough. He should be in the rotation most of next year. He has the hype that is going to make people travel to watch him pitch. I'll take the player that is going to be making me money for four years over the guy playing in the minors for that long.

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
He did not get injured my point was a hitter can still DH/pinch hit while injured
or play first base

bballcardkid said:
craiger122003 said:
Wow so many strasburg picks? You have to remember hitters can produce while injured pitchers can't

When did Strasburg get injured? I must have missed that.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
cowboysrule48 said:
I love how people want players to fail just because of the hype they get. I really don't get it.

I'm looking at it from the business standpoint of the Nationals. Strasburg can put people in the seats this year if he signs soon enough. He should be in the rotation most of next year. He has the hype that is going to make people travel to watch him pitch. I'll take the player that is going to be making me money for four years over the guy playing in the minors for that long.

I agree with you, except the part about Harper being in the minors that long.

cowboysrule48

Aug 7, 2008
Orlando, FL
Brett Keith said:
cowboysrule48 said:

Well if he was drafted this year, he would only be 20, that's still much younger than most guys make it. He's bound to have some bumps, and I doubt a team would want to rush his talent.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
cowboysrule48 said:
Brett Keith said:
cowboysrule48 said:

Well if he was drafted this year, he would only be 20, that's still much younger than most guys make it. He's bound to have some bumps, and I doubt a team would want to rush his talent.

Barring severe injuries or multiple underperforming years, I'd bet he'll be in the bigs by 19, or atleast 20 if he's drafted next year. Elite prospects tend to not spend entire seasons at each level, then there are the really elite guys, which most are assuming Harper is. Justin Upton had a "bump" his first full season, underperforming, but he was in the bigs the next season at 19.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
I take the player who has conquered the best competition. Strasburg dominated the NCAA, and even though he was in a weak conference, it is better competition than Harper faced in HS.

Jurgy25

Aug 14, 2008
Northern California
craiger122003 said:
He did not get injured my point was a hitter can still DH/pinch hit while injured
or play first base

bballcardkid said:
craiger122003 said:
Wow so many strasburg picks? You have to remember hitters can produce while injured pitchers can't

When did Strasburg get injured? I must have missed that.

Your first post doesn't make sense. Hitters can't produce injured if the injury is bad enough. I took Strasburg. Build a team around pitching any day of the week. Also Strasburg is ready right now, and has faced better competition.

But looking at stuff and clips about Harper, he is pretty incredible.

Found this is a 2005 BA article about the best young kids:

"Bryce Harper. Possibly the country?s best 12-year-old hitter, 5-foot-10 Las Vegas talent was in demand by nation?s top travel teams"

http://prospectsplus.baseballamerica.co ... 2ages.html

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
You missed my point a hitter can still provide some sort of value even with a hammy injury,ankle, etc etc a pitcher if injured provides absolutely no value

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
Bryce Harper may very well be the best young hitting prospect we've seen in modern "prospecting" terms, but Strasburg is also the best pitching prospect we've seen in these times. People always point out the big pitching busts, but for every Todd Van Poppel there is a Phil Plantier, Kevin Maas, etc.

Production from HS to even the minors can be volatile. Strasburg has the kind of heat that can't be taught and is able to contribute right now. Since pitching is inherently more valuable than hitting, give me the kid with the golden arm.

thefasterblade

Aug 8, 2008
I take the hitter who also happens to be a catcher. One small injury to that arm can drastically change everything, and every pitcher ends up having some concerns at some point.

Codasco07

Aug 7, 2008
DC/StL
I'm surprised it's this close. Strasburg is a college junior, has pitched for Team USA, and could basically go straight to the Majors this season. Harper is a high school sophmore. Sure he may have a ridiculous ceiling and a great chance of reaching that ceiling quickly, but he's still a HS sophmore. I'll take the guy who's closer with essentially the same ceiling (Superstar level) any day, despite the injury risk.

Latest posts