Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Cardinals have used 13 rookies so far.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
This amazes me.

It amazes me more that they are still competing for first place in the division.

That number is ridiculous for a team playing at this level this early in the season.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
George_Calfas said:
Tyler Greene was called up yesterday, lets hope the bats can get going.

Jess Todd was called up for like a day, then sent back down, and Blake Hawksworth made his MLB debut last night I believe. I haven't watched the last 2 games.

Here are the 13 if I am not mistaken.

Colby Rasmus
Nick Stavinoha
Jess Todd
Blake Hawksworth
Tyler Greene
Brian Barden
Joe Thurston
Jason Motte
Shane Robinson
David Freese
Mitch Boggs
PJ Walters
Chris Perez

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Sam Banks said:
[quote="George_Calfas":3eo2hv47]Tyler Greene was called up yesterday, lets hope the bats can get going.

Jess Todd was called up for like a day, then sent back down, and Blake Hawksworth made his MLB debut last night I believe. I haven't watched the last 2 games.

Here are the 13 if I am not mistaken.

Colby Rasmus
Nick Stavinoha
Jess Todd
Blake Hawksworth
Tyler Greene
Brian Barden
Joe Thurston
Jason Motte
Shane Robinson
David Freese
Mitch Boggs
PJ Walters
Chris Perez[/quote:3eo2hv47]

What makes these a bit different is some of them played in a few games in past years/last year.

Still 13 young players is crazy, I see this as a good step, the farm system is really starting to build and develop players and the team has made good trades to get in young talent.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
And it is only going to get better when Wallace arrives at 3B. It is going to be great watching Colby, Wallace and Pujols tear it up for years together. And I believe we are going to get Matt Holiday too. Pujols, Yadi, Holiday, Rasmus, Wallace. Scary dude.

trevordchi

Aug 9, 2008
That is a crazy # of rookies this early in the season. Any of them have a shot to actually stick around besides Rasmus?

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Joe Thurston really isn't considered a "rookie".

He made his MLB debut in 2002, and played in only 59 games from 2002-2008. And judging by his stats this season, he'll always be a AAAA player.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Yeah, Motte and Perez are going to make a great 8/9 combo whenever one of them steps up and takes over the closers role. Haven`t even seen Jon Jay yet. He will stick around I believe too. Some of the young pitchers are supposed to be solid. Robinson, Thurston, Stavinoha, I don`t really see them sticking. And if Thurston isn`t considered a rookie, who am I missing? I went to baseball-reference.com and reviewed the roster and those are the 13 I came up with. I DO know the correct number IS 13 though.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
200lbhockeyplayer said:
Joe Thurston really isn't considered a "rookie".

He made his MLB debut in 2002, and played in only 59 games from 2002-2008. And judging by his stats this season, he'll always be a AAAA player.

I never considered him a rookie either, but I believe he was co-NL ROM of April.

rookieaddict

Nov 13, 2008
I don't understand the Hawksworth move. We can't option him, so when we want to send him down he's gotta clear waivers. Just don't see the logic

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
Sam Banks said:
Good call Mack. Wasn`t that Thurston and Barden who got that in April?

Correct. :)

As for Blaine Boyer, he hasn't cleared waivers yet, has he? When you DFA a player, there's 10 days that allows a team to deal him, release him, or send him through waivers. Once cleared through waivers, you can option him to AAA, but the player could still refuse the assignment and become a free agent.

Members online