Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who are your Top 3 Crooks, Liars or Idiots in sportscards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
This hobby is filled with so many great people, many of whom are on this message board.
But there are also some people in this industry we wish we could rid from the hobby.

So who are your Tops 3 crooks, liars, scum, tools or just plain idiots in high positions that you wish could be banished from sportscards forever?

Mine are:

1. Kevin Burge - The infamous (alleged :lol: ) card trimmer, patch faker and autograph forger who goes by ShoelessJoe and many other aliases on eBay.

2. Richard McWilliam - Upper Deck's CEO/President. Read the book, "Card Sharks" and you'll realize how horrible of a human he is.

3. Beckett's new management and internet designers. The magazines keep getting worse and the web designers are hacks who ruined a good thing. However, without those idiot web designers, there wouldn't be this board, which turned out to be much better than Beckett's site.

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
1. RookieRolodex - Owes me an 07 EEE Chris Davis Auto that I paid for on December 4th, 2008 or at least needs to reimburse me the $50 I paid for it. I literally E-mail him daily at this point and get no response.

2. Kevin Burge - First class scum bag; I found out about him only after I sold him a Jered Weaver 05 Bowman Chrome Draft Refractor Auto at a show. I hate to think about where that thing is now.

3. Some ***** from Colorado - In '99, while ebay was still in its relative infancy, I bought a box of 96-97 Topps Chrome basketball on my neighbor's behalf for roughly $600. Anyone who knows about this set knows it's the preeminent basketball set of the modern era, featuring RC's of Kobe, Iverson, Nash, R. Allen, Jermaine O'Neal, etc., hence the hefty price tag. I want to say his name was something like Robert Worley, and I know he was from Colorado Springs, CO, but I'm never going to find him and it pisses me off to this day that he stole so much and took advantage of what was then a freshman in high school.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
[quote=" without those idiot web designers, there wouldn't be this board, which turned out to be much better than Beckett's site.[/quote]

+1.

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
I also want to throw in the Home Shopping Network/QVC card guys. Nothing nauseates me more than watching them rip people off late at night. I was watching the other day when they were offering "(15) Gem Mint Rookie Cards" for $100 or somewhere in that neighborhood. The cards included "rookie cards" of guys like Jeter, Wright, Tiger Woods, Lebron, AJ Burnett (laughable), etc. and all of the baseball cards probably sell for a nickel ungraded, manufactured by some minor league company like Just, and they were graded 10's by some felonious grading company like MGS or HSN or something irrelevant. Even the cards they showed on the screen were CLEARLY OC, which made it even more of a farse, but listening to these idiots drone on about "investment potential" of these cards makes me do this ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm::

Edit: Found a link to the lot, some of these aren't even CLOSE to rookie cards. Look at the Jerry Rice, what a joke...

http://www.hsn.com/gem-mint-10-rookie-c ... 49_xp.aspx

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
1.Riza.
2.Kevin Burge.
3. The noted vintage card trimmer, can't remember his damn name. He's the prewar version of Burge though

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
JEA2880 said:
I also want to throw in the Home Shopping Network/QVC card guys. Nothing nauseates me more than watching them rip people off late at night. I was watching the other day when they were offering "(15) Gem Mint Rookie Cards" for $100 or somewhere in that neighborhood. The cards included "rookie cards" of guys like Jeter, Wright, Tiger Woods, Lebron, AJ Burnett (laughable), etc. and all of the baseball cards probably sell for a nickel ungraded, manufactured by some minor league company like Just, and they were graded 10's by some felonious grading company like MGS or HSN or something irrelevant. Even the cards they showed on the screen were CLEARLY OC, which made it even more of a farse, but listening to these idiots drone on about "investment potential" of these cards makes me do this ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm::

Edit: Found a link to the lot, some of these aren't even CLOSE to rookie cards. Look at the Jerry Rice, what a joke...

Just bought one lot, thanks for the link!!!

kentuckyderby

Aug 7, 2008
was Chicago now Glendale AZ
Would be shocked if this thread lasted all day without either being locked or someone being warned

Mr. Mint --- cannot stand the guy. Terrible experience when I spoke face-to-face in Chicago

There have been others in the business that I feel lied to the public but I am off to type some educational case laws and don't have time

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
kentuckyderby said:
Would be shocked if this thread lasted all day without either being locked or someone being warned

Mr. Mint --- cannot stand the guy. Terrible experience when I spoke face-to-face in Chicago

There have been others in the business that I feel lied to the public but I am off to type some educational case laws and don't have time

Why would it be locked? Totally legitimate topic and anyone who might get reamed has it coming.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
JEA2880 said:
1. RookieRolodex - Owes me an 07 EEE Chris Davis Auto that I paid for on December 4th, 2008 or at least needs to reimburse me the $50 I paid for it. I literally E-mail him daily at this point and get no response.
quote]

I am really surprised by this.....

Has always been a good dude to me.

Sorry to hear about it.

skrip

chisox3706

Aug 15, 2008
nw indiana/chicagoland
JEA2880 said:

LOL yeah i did used to enjoy getting home from work late at night and putting them on to watch them talk so much about things they knew nothing about...and what about that guy they would get on the phone who was the supposed "owner" of alot of those cards? LOL retards. my friends and i would actually turn them on when there was nothing else better on just to laugh, and damn was it funny!

i mainly watched these a-holes during the "craze" for griffey jr/sammy sosa graded rooks like around 98-99ish. i loved hearing them say how an off-brand (non psa or bgs) graded 10 sosa donruss rc would command thousands when he gets in the hof. ahhh fun memories!!

mburgin

Aug 11, 2008
cgilmo said:
it will be locked if it turns into a flame war.

thats exactly what it will turn in to. posts such as this are nothing but trolling posts IMO and will be exactly that by page 2.

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
chisox3706 said:
JEA2880 said:

LOL yeah i did used to enjoy getting home from work late at night and putting them on to watch them talk so much about things they knew nothing about...and what about that guy they would get on the phone who was the supposed "owner" of alot of those cards? LOL retards. my friends and i would actually turn them on when there was nothing else better on just to laugh, and damn was it funny!

i mainly watched these a-holes during the "craze" for griffey jr/sammy sosa graded rooks like around 98-99ish. i loved hearing them say how an off-brand (non psa or bgs) graded 10 sosa donruss rc would command thousands when he gets in the hof. ahhh fun memories!!

I'm ashamed to admit I bought into the hype in '98; I begged my mom to front me the $30 on her credit card for one of these "beauties"... money well spent :lol:

[ebay:zhan4jxx]130245571463[/ebay:zhan4jxx]

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
mburgin said:
cgilmo said:
it will be locked if it turns into a flame war.
thats exactly what it will turn in to. posts such as this are nothing but trolling posts IMO and will be exactly that by page 2.
Excuse me? Trolling posts?
This thread wasn't meant to pit members against one another.
As I wrote in the original thread, it's about the industry's bigtime companies, executives, dealers, etc. who have damaged the hobby.
If a few tools on this board want to turn this into something else, then I'm all for locking the thread.

chisox3706

Aug 15, 2008
nw indiana/chicagoland
JEA2880 said:
chisox3706 said:
JEA2880 said:

I'm ashamed to admit I bought into the hype in '98; I begged my mom to front me the $30 on her credit card for one of these "beauties"... money well spent :lol:

[ebay:2x9xoxdm]130245571463[/ebay:2x9xoxdm]

dude i remember seeing big mac cards on there but not that one...nostalgic!! lol

i always thought it was funny they would never have (or rarely have) the HOT rookies up for sale. like instead of the mcgwire 85 topps graded it would be his 87 topps, or sosa would be donruss/fleer/score, same with griffey...you get the idea. all the mass produced ones (or not even real RCs like in big macs case). i understand they are a business and they have to make money but jeez.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
To be fair about the OP's #3, there are bad web developers everywhere. People who figure out one way to do things, not the best way, or even a particularly good way, but just something that is 'cool' and 'X.0' and whatever the latest jargon is. They get the contract, collect their fees, and move on. The guidelines they were given were probably given I don't imagine were very helpful, either. One thing that is apparent, though, is that no one involved in the process is a collector, or in any other way a user of the site, so no one has a clue how the intended audience would use it. I see it all the time. But in the end, it yielded something good, this site. At least we're allowed to links to our ebay auctions in our sigs here.

Anyway, there are any number of dealers, from the Wentzes to Mr Mint to the random jabronies who trade little kids shiny pennies for their beat up old dimes, who deserve to be on such a list. Scammers, counterfeiters, trimmers, bad-faith dealers, etc., who are way worse than the people who wanted you to pay for the ability to trade through beta.stinkburger.com.

i43770

Aug 7, 2008
Portland, OR
chisox3706 said:
JEA2880 said:

I always enjoyed Don West
[youtube:56433d3j]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmQrmiqr7Fg[/youtube:56433d3j]

Members online

Latest posts