Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Buyer finds out he bought fake $8K psa Mantle on ebay!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
that title is hilarious, almost like the scam emails you get where all the words are spelled wrong which is a dead giveaway, that is the same damn thing. We should message the buyer and ask him how it is going.

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
The guy obviously thought that if it was in a PSA slab it must be legit, but wouldn't you check the PSA serial # before buying this kind of card anyway?

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
Randy Shields said:
The guy obviously thought that if it was in a PSA slab it must be legit, but wouldn't you check the PSA serial # before buying this kind of card anyway?

Actually the cert checks out...

ITEM INFORMATION
Cert Verification #: 07045922
Year: 1952
Brand: TOPPS
Card Number: 311
Player: MICKEY MANTLE
Variety:
Grade: EXCELLENT-MINT 6

So, basically there are 3 explanations to this...

1) The card is REAL

2) PSA certified a Fake card---happens but it is pretty rare

3) Seller cracked the actual Mantle out of the case and probably resubmitted it and put some kind of reprint or something in its place

TK

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
pujolsthomefan33 said:
Randy Shields said:

ITEM INFORMATION
Variety:

1) The card is REAL

3) Seller cracked the actual Mantle out of the case and probably resubmitted it and put some kind of reprint or something in its place

TK

Or maybe a copied scan from a previous auction?

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
Randy Shields said:
pujolsthomefan33 said:
[quote="Randy Shields":1f9eazfj]The guy obviously thought that if it was in a PSA slab it must be legit, but wouldn't you check the PSA serial # before buying this kind of card anyway?

ITEM INFORMATION
Variety:

1) The card is REAL

TK

Or maybe a copied scan from a previous auction?[/quote:1f9eazfj]

Always possible, but the seller did send a card to the buyer, so I would have assumed he would have sent some form of a Mantle 52 Topps or 52 Topps Reprint.

TK

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
The PSA flip is fake. It is not a font that PSA has ever used.

Someone made a fake flip using a certification number they saw somewhere before, and inserted it into a slab with a fake card and sealed it. This is similar to the resealing process in the WIWAG (When It Was A Game) scandal, except that in those instances the fakers were using authentic flips and cards, resulting in overgraded cards.

David

Gellman

Sep 2, 2008
Plus, did he really think he was getting a Mantle for 8K? Usually prices are low for a reason! Some people. Too funny.

muchuckwagon

Oct 8, 2008
Deceased
leatherman said:

I'm going to disagree.....I think that font has been used. I don't think the buyer received the card/slab pictured in the auction.

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
Gellman said:
Plus, did he really think he was getting a Mantle for 8K? Usually prices are low for a reason! Some people. Too funny.

For a 6 that is a tad low, since a 4 went for $10K and a 2 went for $4500....but with the bad title (spelled Mickey wrong) and the not so good pic, and single digit feedback, the price isnt probably that far off.

I dont know, lots of possibilities here, I am starting to agree with muchuck on this one, the seller sent a completely different card and ripped the picture off someone else.

TK

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
muchuckwagon said:
leatherman said:

I'm going to disagree.....I think that font has been used. I don't think the buyer received the card/slab pictured in the auction.

Actually i think leatherman is correct. That is not a font that psa has used. The Flip and card are both fake. The buyer i think got wind the card might be a fake, sent it off to psa and it was confirmed fake. There is a ton of fake PSA flips and cards going around right now. Its known on the internet as the "craigslist scam" as it originated on craigslist with people selling these fakes from Southern California. It is very similar to the When it was a game scam, except the fakers are using fake cards and fake flips.

Members online

Latest posts