Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

New Twist in Nick Adenhart's Death

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigalexx

Aug 7, 2008
El Segundo, CA
Reported by TMZ.com

http://www.tmz.com/2009/06/10/possible- ... s-pitcher/
A new twist in the death of Anaheim Angels pitcher Nick Adenhart ... the woman driving the car he was in had been drinking shortly before the fatal accident.

We've learned the results of the postmortem toxicology tests on Courtney Stewart -- the driver who died in the crash along with Adenhart -- were positive for alcohol. And, law enforcement sources tell us, "an illegal substance" was also found, though the sources would not be more specific.

This information could be extremely important in the defense of Andrew Gallo, the driver of the minivan that ran a light and struck the other car. Gallo was arrested for DUI and later charged with three counts of murder. We're told Gallo's lawyer is already honing in on the toxicology tests.

A_Pharis

Yeah, but "alcohol in system" does not mean "intoxicated". As long as you're decently under the limit, then it won't help him.
Also, "illegal substance" can be any of a good number of things. Hope this guy doesn't get any backing.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Not trying to stick up for the guy in any way....

But

I consider myself a defensive driver.... I know what Im going to do... but have NO clue what anyone else is going to do. I know I have avoided a few accidents by noticing someone running a red light... blowing through a stop sign or anything that could injure or kill me. If she was under something maybe she could have avoided the accident by noticing that he wasnt going to stop.... again.. not trying to stick up for the guy who did the hit and run.... but I know I can control the way I drive.... so I have to be on the look out.

KandKCards

Aug 8, 2008
Maybe I'm ignorant to law, but the guy was still drunk, ran a red light and killed multiple people. Regardless of intoxication, the Adenhart car was in the correct place and completely following the law.

A_Pharis

P_Manning 18 said:

But

I consider myself a defensive driver.... I know what Im going to do... but have NO clue what anyone else is going to do. I know I have avoided a few accidents by noticing someone running a red light... blowing through a stop sign or anything that could injure or kill me. If she was under something maybe she could have avoided the accident by noticing that he wasnt going to stop.... again.. not trying to stick up for the guy who did the hit and run.... but I know I can control the way I drive.... so I have to be on the look out.

Yeah, but with that you have to take into account visibility and at what point in the intersection they were hit. Maybe you couldn't see the cross traffic until almost in the intersection... maybe his vehicle was obstructed by a vehicle in the turning lane? Maybe they were well into the intersection when he came through it?

DRav87

Aug 11, 2008
Wisconsin
P_Manning 18 said:

But

You always gotta watch out for the other guy.

aw00d05

Dec 18, 2008
P_Manning 18 said:

But

I almost t-boned some lady a few weeks ago who ran a stop sign but stopped before I would've hit her. Regardless the guy still ran the red light (illegal), then ran from the crash (illegal) and now was found to be drunk (illegal). I understand what you are saying but he's still in the wrong.

Johnny G

Sep 29, 2008
Jersey Shore
Stranger things have happened. I t boned a lady and sent her into a pole after she ran a stop. I was found 25% wrong for speeding. No radar, wet skidmarks, and a postal worker that saw everything and said it was her fault.

Jedi500

Jan 2, 2009
I got my license in February and I have easily avoided multiple accidents because of being a defensive driver. It is definitely worth being a defensive driver than the one being in a hurry...

Anyway, it doesn't matter, the guy committed multiple infractions and killed multiple people. He should be locked up for life.

bigalexx

Aug 7, 2008
El Segundo, CA
While Gallo is definitely at fault and I think he should get maximum sentence. With the way our court system is run, I think that the maximum sentence can now be thrown out the window.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Remember the OJ Simpson trial? Guy got off because he was a celebrity and the jury couldn't possibly find a celebrity guilty of murder...

Same thing applies here, although the other way around. Think about how tragic it was when you heard the news and how it was all over ESPN for days. No jury is going to back the guy who ran a red light drunk, killed a celebrity and his friends and then ran away. Guy made the ******* decision to drink and drive and he is going to pay for it.

i43770

Aug 7, 2008
Portland, OR
A_Pharis said:
Yeah, but "alcohol in system" does not mean "intoxicated". As long as you're decently under the limit, then it won't help him.
Also, "illegal substance" can be any of a good number of things. Hope this guy doesn't get any backing.

A DUII isn't a limit that they go off of. If they police believe that your driving is influenced by an intoxicant, you are guilty, t here is no magic number. When I got my DUII, I blew .01 over the legal limit to keep my license, even if I would have blown .01 under the legal limit, I would still have a DUII on my record.

Now back to topic, I don't think that it will matter what she has/had in her system. The guy will be going to jail, probably not more than 7 years though. Most likely will plead out to one count of vehicular manslaughter (for Adenhart), and all the other stuff will be included in that.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
I think that they may assign part of the fault to the deceased driver. There was one time I was driving home (had a couple of drinks over a lot of hours), and I was slow in going at the green light. Luckily, I was slow because a truck blew the red light going at least 55 mph in a 35 mph zone. Someone told me that if that truck had hit me, I would have gotten some of the fault just because I had alcohol in my system. Again, everyone, green doesn't mean you are always right. Green means that you can only go when safe. Be careful.

jeremy

Aug 7, 2008
YOU KNOW
A_Pharis said:

i still wouldnt get in a car with a person driving who has alcohol in system. and the illegal substance, yeah it could be a good number of things but none of them good. id be willing to bet it wasnt a mattress with the do not remove tag off

also i wonder how many of you nancy graces would still want to crucify this guy if he didnt kill a baseball player

Members online

Latest posts