Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Should there be a Playoff System For College Football

Should the NCAA CFB have a Playoff ?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

madman1978

Again more debate about College Football not having a playoff System. I have been all in favored of a Playoff system. In my opinion, such a system is long over due. I am quite interested in hearing the opinion and thoughts of other CB fans.

Seiya

Aug 7, 2008
Chula Vista, CA
College teams won't do it because there won't be a big payout for a BCS bowl game. Sure playing for a national title is intriguing but they lose out on $$$.

madman1978

Seiya said:
College teams won't do it because there won't be a big payout for a BCS bowl game. Sure playing for a national title is intriguing but they lose out on $$$.

I would disagree. I am on the opinion more $$$ can be made by a playoff system in the end and still retain the Bowel games. The major argument against this is the Bowl games might be lost in a playoff system.

On a side note: I am disappointed that the so called College Football experts on this board have not added their thoughts to this discussion.

Penno

Sep 5, 2008
Oxford, AL
I'd rather require the BCS conferences that don't have conference championship games to actually have them (Pac 10 and Big 10). I believe that it would take care of its self if that was the case. If a playoff is a must, go back to having just the four traditional BCS Bowls and use the new fifth BCS Championship game as a plus one.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
NO.

What makes college football the most exciting sports season of the year is because every game means something.

If you want to "fix" the BCS, then take #1-#12 and put them in BCS bowl games. Eliminate automatic bids certain conferences. No way Pittsburg and Maryland deserve to get in over one loss Alabama, Oklahoma, or Florida teams.

Brad

Aug 23, 2008
No. BCS has been screwy at times but it aloows the matchups of those undefeated teams at the end of the season to play even though they normally would not have. Think UT/FSU, VT/FSU, OSU/Miami, OU/FSU, Texas/USC

madman1978

Brad said:
No. BCS has been screwy at times but it aloows the matchups of those undefeated teams at the end of the season to play even though they normally would not have. Think UT/FSU, VT/FSU, OSU/Miami, OU/FSU, Texas/USC

That is not completely true
Several teams several have finished undefeated but sine they were not in a BCS Conference they would NEVERE get a shot at the title.

Brad

Aug 23, 2008
madman1978 said:
Brad said:

Several teams several have finished undefeated but sine they were not in a BCS Conference they would NEVER get a shot at the title.

They'd lose in a real conference anyways, or if there was a playoff, they would lose. If you want to have a legit shot at the National Championship or a BCS bowl, join a BCS conference. Simple as that

madman1978

Brad said:
madman1978 said:
Brad said:

Several teams several have finished undefeated but sine they were not in a BCS Conference they would NEVER get a shot at the title.

They'd lose in a real conference anyways, or if there was a playoff, they would lose. If you want to have a legit shot at the National Championship or a BCS bowl, join a BCS conference. Simple as that

That is not the Simple answer an you know that.
If they were to lose then let them lose on a level playing field
BCS equals one thing $$$$$$! and most of that money does not go back into the programs or the college. BCS is flawed and we all know this. Having a 8 team playoff would be the BEST thing for College Football overall. Which would mean most of the teams NOT in BCS conference wouldnt make the cut.

Brad

Aug 23, 2008
madman1978 said:
Brad said:
madman1978 said:
Brad said:

That is not the Simple answer an you know that.
If they were to lose then let them lose on a level playing field
BCS equals one thing $$$$$$! and most of that money does not go back into the programs or the college. BCS is flawed and we all know this. Having a 8 team playoff would be the BEST thing for College Football overall. Which would mean most of the teams NOT in BCS conference wouldnt make the cut.
Most of the money goes to the conference that the teams represent since most of them have an agreement where they split the money. But yes, it is as simple as join a BCS conference. Louisville went from a Conference USA power to kinda sorta good in the Big East. A conference that wants to get teams in the BCS will want a school who they think can get there. he Pac 10 may need to add a school or two if something changes where they need a championship game. But, if you want to be in a BCS bowl, play a BCS schedule. Even though Notre Dame is an independent they still play schools like Michigan, Purdue, Michigan State, USC, etc. The level of competition between a WAC and a BCS conference is not even close.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
It is all about money in the end. ALL the other divisions do it so it's not about studies like they want to say. Also, for those against a playoff, how often do playoffs end up with the 1 vs. 2 in the championship in any sport? Rarely, because "figuring" who the best teams are, and actually playing to find out are two totally different things.

Here's another thing. After years of playing tourneys it shows who the "power" conferences are. Since they will have better showings year after year. Which then leads to better seeding of the tourney.

I honestly think that if they had a tourney it would be bigger than the Super Bowl. Look at March Madness. The level college football would be at would surpass anything. I think MORE money would be made in total.

Think office pools are big for basketball, football was be insane.

I would do it like this:

1. 16 team tourney with other "bowl" eligible teams going to lower level bowls like before.
2. Keep the same sites/bowls with prestige increasing as rounds go. Then rotate the championship game like now between the big bowls. When not the final, the bowl will be one of the semi finals.

onehrk

Aug 7, 2008
San Diego, CA
I will be one of those that say no. The way college football is now separates it from professional football. I love it. I routinely watching 3-4 games every Saturday and 1 or less NFL game every Sunday. Playoffs will only take away from the feel that every game counts...

onehrk

Aug 7, 2008
San Diego, CA
Penno said:
I'd rather require the BCS conferences that don't have conference championship games to actually have them (Pac 10 and Big 10). I believe that it would take care of its self if that was the case. If a playoff is a must, go back to having just the four traditional BCS Bowls and use the new fifth BCS Championship game as a plus one.

And I agree with this. I'm a big Pac-10 fan and would love to see a championship game.

Members online