Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BGS "Service Unavailable"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
If you call them they will usually explain why they didn't grade it. Usually they claim they don't grade that set, however often they have graded the same card previously

autocut

I'm told I have to give background on each card in order to get them graded. So, basically, I have to do research for Beckett and give this research to them in order to get cards graded that I have to pay for. Bunch of BS. Time to hit up SGC.

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
autocut said:
I'm told I have to give background on each card in order to get them graded. So, basically, I have to do research for Beckett and give this research to them in order to get cards graded that I have to pay for. Bunch of BS. Time to hit up SGC.

Yep. I had around 7 2005 Bowman Draft Russ Martin tag cards all returned. No refund. Said I had to call Topps and get proof they were real. :evil:

autocut

MartinFFcollector said:
autocut said:

Yep. I had around 7 2005 Bowman Draft Russ Martin tag cards all returned. No refund. Said I had to call Topps and get proof they were real. :evil:

Well, that concludes my business with BGS. If we have to authenticate them ourselves, what do I need them for? That's just crazy.

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
autocut said:
MartinFFcollector said:
autocut said:

Well, that concludes my business with BGS. If we have to authenticate them ourselves, what do I need them for? That's just crazy.

That's what I thought. BGS said the tag pieces didn't match they sample pics they had. Umm...the swatches are not all cut in the same place. I have many pics,(majority of the ones sold on ebay) most of them have slight differences. I called Topps. They didn't have any info saved. They also said they dont send pics of ALL the cards out, so it wouldn't help anyways. Considering my whole 05 BDP Martin collection is slabbed, I was/am a bit upset.

autocut

MartinFFcollector said:
autocut said:
MartinFFcollector said:
autocut said:

That's what I thought. BGS said the tag pieces didn't match they sample pics they had. Umm...the swatches are not all cut in the same place. I have many pics,(majority of the ones sold on ebay) most of them have slight differences. I called Topps. They didn't have any info saved. They also said they dont send pics of ALL the cards out, so it wouldn't help anyways. Considering my whole 05 BDP Martin collection is slabbed, I was/am a bit upset.

Well, when I get these back, I'm submitting them to SGC and may do a few crossovers. Waiting on response from Sean.

chisox3706

Aug 15, 2008
nw indiana/chicagoland
MartinFFcollector said:
autocut said:

ummm im just wondering...but isnt that their job? lame for what they charge...

autocut

chisox3706 said:
MartinFFcollector said:
autocut said:

I look at it like this, If Service is Unavailable, then you should receive a refund since they were unable to provide that service.

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
autocut said:
chisox3706 said:
MartinFFcollector said:
autocut said:

I look at it like this, If Service is Unavailable, then you should receive a refund since they were unable to provide that service.

I agree 100%. But in my case, I think they failed to offer a refund as patch scammers would submit 1000 cards and hope some slip by with no monetary loss if caught.

Want to know the funny/shocking part ? I bought these, one at a time since they were pretty much released. I had no doubts on their authenticity. So I lied and told the Beckett guy one was pack pulled by me to hear his response. The majority were bought before he was as popular as is is now. Beckett guy paused and said well.... call Topps and see if you can get that info and I guess you can send the one you pulled back and we'll slab it !
I never did. All or nothing.

*I just looked in my Rolodex at work for the BGS guys name to add credibility to my story but cannot locate it. Maybe at home. I thought his name was Joe, or a similar short/common name.

autocut

EricInCT said:
autocut said:
scotty21690 said:
Beckett sucks.

Go with SGC, by far the best grading company IMO.

Already ahead of you :). Getting a submission ready.

:cry: I feel awful dude, I am sorry about this. I had no idea.

Not your fault. Talking to someone at Beckett and it basically comes down to this. If the card isn't in their database or they don't know about the card, they won't grade it. You have to do all the research and ground work and submit it to them so they can put it in their publication and update their database before they would grade it. I'm not a Beckett employee, they don't pay me to do their research, and after that they still want you to pay for the grade when you had to authenticate the card yourself. That's just crazy to me. So, not only would I have to re-submit my first Rizzuto, I have to re-submit the second one, along with the other 3 cards with a written report on the background of the cards they didn't grade. Of course, I would have to pay the shipping cost to get it to them, AGAIN. If I was going to waste money like that, I was better off joining PSA's Collector's Club. Any card I have that will fit in a SGC holder, I'm crossing over.

autocut

moxacaine said:
i would be pissed. Id file a chargeback with my credit card claiming you didnt receive what you paid for.

Not going to do that since I submitted it as part of the group submission EricinCT hosted. I paid him with paypal, not Beckett. It's not his fault Beckett screwed up, but this is actually a 3rd screw up with them. Each time, they keep telling me its a simple fix to send it back. If they can't get anything right the first time, there is no reason in using their services. The first Rizzuto is screwed up, this order is screwed up, and I have a BVG card that shifts (up and down).

jeff550

May 5, 2009
burke
any bgs cards thaa you dont want that are for sale.
thank sucks, but the only problem with sgc is the resale value for modren cards graded by them. if beckett dosent get there act together soon that will change and i will switch over to sgc. i will never use psa due to the crapy slabs.

autocut

jeff550 said:
any bgs cards thaa you dont want that are for sale.
thank sucks, but the only problem with sgc is the resale value for modren cards graded by them. if beckett dosent get there act together soon that will change and i will switch over to sgc. i will never use psa due to the crapy slabs.

Well, the stuff I get graded/encased, I plan on keeping for a while. So, I don't plan on reselling any time soon (not a prospector). Everything is marketing now.

Members online

Latest posts