Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone else notice who the best pitcher in the NL is?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
My preseason 09 Cy Young winner prediction is certainly not disappointing. However he certainly is not getting much attention. Proof positive that W-L still means the world to most people. Who leads the NL in K/BB, WHIP, IP, ERA & ERA+? It's not Santana...It's Dan Haren. He just pitched nine innings of one run ball. He also has only one non-quality start out 12 starts. I always like the underrated/fly under the radar guy. I hope he starts the All-Star game. It's also sad that he won't get recognition, because I see him getting ~26 quality starts and ~15 wins.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
Man and after watching Lincecum's complete game shutout tonight I thought you were talking about him.

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
kdailey4315 said:
Man and after watching Lincecum's complete game shutout tonight I thought you were talking about him.
Everyone is painfully aware of Lincecum. Haren is in desperate need of pimping.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
Haren is def in the mix. His record is very ugly and misleading though.

Lincecum, Cain, Santana, Billingsley, Haren will be battling it out towards the end of the season.

Similar to last season with lincecum, webb, santana and cc.

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
darocker80 said:

Lincecum, Cain, Santana, Billingsley, Haren will be battling it out towards the end of the season.

Haren still had great stats last year. You forget he was first in K/BB and second in Ks. However he did falter in the second half a little.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
MOFNY said:
darocker80 said:

Haren still had great stats last year. You forget he was first in K/BB and second in Ks. However he did falter in the second half a little.
I thought santana was second in Ks.

Lincecum started off to a rough start being sick (his era after his first two starts was 7.71). He has since lowered it to 2.66. I think he'll continue to get stronger throughout the season and be a contender for the cy young again.

Johan and Haren are my biggest fears right now though.

I really want lincecum to win back-to-back cys :p

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
Here's the thing about Lincecum. He's learning how to pitch. Last year he was putting maximum effort into every fastball, throwing 96+ and getting guys out. Now he's getting guys out on a 92-94 MPH fastball. Not to mention that downright nasty change up he displayed tonight and he's unhittable. His #1 competition this year will come from his teammate Cain. Damn the Giants better not trade him.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
kdailey4315 said:
Here's the thing about Lincecum. He's learning how to pitch. Last year he was putting maximum effort into every fastball, throwing 96+ and getting guys out. Now he's getting guys out on a 92-94 MPH fastball. Not to mention that downright nasty change up he displayed tonight and he's unhittable. His #1 competition this year will come from his teammate Cain. Damn the Giants better not trade him.
I think they feed off each other, help strengthen each other in every start. His Fastball was constantly at 95 today and had great command on his curve and his power change up got the Ks he needed today :)

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
darocker80 said:
kdailey4315 said:
I think they feed off each other, help strengthen each other in every start. His Fastball was constantly at 95 today and had great command on his curve and his power change up got the Ks he needed today :)

Agreed. His change up was filthy tonight.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
kdailey4315 said:
darocker80 said:
kdailey4315 said:

Agreed. His change up was filthy tonight.
Expect a 2.50ish era and 250Ks this season. His record is very questionable, but i'll be shocked if he has 7+ losses!

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
MOFNY said:
darocker80 said:
MOFNY said:
Um ye hijack to talk about Lincecum...
sorry we brought it to pms bad habit of mine

Haren should've got a shut out today, mistake pitch to lee though
No biggie. Haren needs some love.
I'll make sure this thread gets some bumps.

how much run support does he get? Having a past-matt cain year? I know zito has the worst record

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
MOFNY said:

It wasn't an intentional hijack. You were talking about Cy Young for Haren and I just had to throw Lincecum's name in there. It's only June and there is a ton of ball left to be played. Apologies but it wasn't an intentional hijack.

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
darocker80 said:
MOFNY said:
darocker80 said:
MOFNY said:

how much run support does he get? Having a past-matt cain year? I know zito has the worst record
With all due respect, Haren has had better stats than Cain. And of course they probably have similar RS. For example last year Cain had a WHIP of 1.35 and an ERA+ of 116. Haren had a 138 ERA+ and 1.13 WHIP. This year there is an even wider margin thus far. Plus the K/BB comparison isn't even close. Haren is really becoming an elite pitcher. Plus I think you need to shy away from the record...if you need a substitute go with quality starts.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
MOFNY said:
darocker80 said:
MOFNY said:
darocker80 said:
MOFNY said:

With all due respect, Haren has had better stats than Cain. And of course they probably have similar RS. For example last year Cain had a WHIP of 1.35 and an ERA+ of 116. Haren had a 138 ERA+ and 1.13 WHIP. This year there is an even wider margin thus far. Plus the K/BB comparison isn't even close. Haren is really becoming an elite pitcher. Plus I think you need to shy away from the record...if you need a substitute go with quality starts.
I do agree Haren has much better stats, but i was just comoparing that the record is misleading and really low run support between the two.

Members online

Latest posts