Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who are the two best starting pitchers in baseball

Who are the two best starting pitchers in baseball?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
After reading through the discussion about Josh Beckett, I am curious as to who everyone thinks is the best overall pitcher in the game. Please take into consideration ALL aspects of a pitcher's duties (ERA, wins, regular season, post season, etc...). Please vote for your top two.

J.O.

Aug 7, 2008
Re: Who are the best two starting pitchers in baseball

not sure how zambrano made that list. he's good, but not in that caliber imo

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
Honestly, no NL pitcher should be in the debate in my opinion. When comparing the quality of the lineups and the fact that the NL pitchers get to pitch against an opposing pitcher (almost an automatic out) and do not have to face the DH every day, it really is no comparison in my opinion. Also, the large majority of pitching friendly parks reside in the NL (NYM, SD, LA, ARI, etc.) As much as I like Lincy and Haren and Johan, I believe if you put them in the AL East, you would see a SIGNIFICANT change in their stats. I also believe that Peavy is the most overrated pitcher in the game. With all of that said, I voted for Halladay and Josh Beckett.

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
Jays_Cards said:
Honestly, no NL pitcher should be in the debate in my opinion. When comparing the quality of the lineups and the fact that the NL pitchers get to pitch against an opposing pitcher (almost an automatic out) and do not have to face the DH every day, it really is no comparison in my opinion. Also, the large majority of pitching friendly parks reside in the NL (NYM, SD, LA, ARI, etc.) As much as I like Lincy and Haren and Johan, I believe if you put them in the AL East, you would see a SIGNIFICANT change in their stats. I also believe that Peavy is the most overrated pitcher in the game. With all of that said, I voted for Halladay and Josh Beckett.
Beckett over CC? Besides wins, CC is pitching better this year.
Beckett:
W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV SVO IP H R ER HR HB BB SO AVG WHIP GO/AO
7 2 3.77 12 12 0 0 0 0 76.1 67 38 32 6 2 32 76 .231 1.30 1.24

CC:
5 4 3.68 13 13 2 1 0 0 93.0 76 41 38 7 6 29 67 .223 1.13 0.87

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
trademhigh said:
Jays_Cards said:
Beckett:

CC:

The stats are almost identical, but if you look at how they perform in big games and in the playoffs, Beckett absolutely destroys CC on every level. Therefore, I put Beckett slightly ahead of CC.

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
Jays_Cards said:
trademhigh said:
[quote="Jays_Cards":3gc55d89]Honestly, no NL pitcher should be in the debate in my opinion. When comparing the quality of the lineups and the fact that the NL pitchers get to pitch against an opposing pitcher (almost an automatic out) and do not have to face the DH every day, it really is no comparison in my opinion. Also, the large majority of pitching friendly parks reside in the NL (NYM, SD, LA, ARI, etc.) As much as I like Lincy and Haren and Johan, I believe if you put them in the AL East, you would see a SIGNIFICANT change in their stats. I also believe that Peavy is the most overrated pitcher in the game. With all of that said, I voted for Halladay and Josh Beckett.
Beckett:

CC:

The stats are almost identical, but if you look at how they perform in big games and in the playoffs, Beckett absolutely destroys CC on every level. Therefore, I put Beckett slightly ahead of CC.[/quote:3gc55d89]
Is two games really an accurate sampling? He pitched two playoff games, won one and lost the other. He gave up 2 ER in the 1st game, and 5 in the second. The first game wasn't a bad outing. The 2nd one was horrible, but pitchers have off games.

JG

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
How is Verlander not even an option? He's easily the #2 choice behind Halladay.

"Easily" to a ridiculous tiger homer like yourself. To most people, he isn't top five. He should be on the list though. The Beckett stuff has to slow down. Great in the postseason, but he has had exactly ONE season where he's lived up to his potential. He has been plagued by injury and ineffectiveness too often to name him one of the top two pitchers in the game. It's Halladay and Santana.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Jays_Cards said:

conversely, AL pitchers don't HAVE to bat, so they get to hide in the dugout and rest every half-inning. NL pitchers have to do that much MORE. And just because you are pitching to a pitcher does not make it an automatic out. Jeff Suppan just went 2/2 last night. CC could hit, Zambrano can hit. And then there is the small-ball aspect of bunting and sacrificing.

I voted for Johan and CC, as they have been dominant like no one else for 5-4 years now. If I could vote for 3, Halladay would be there too; he just suffers from being "overlooked" every year, and doesn't skyline himself for some reason.

Members online

Latest posts