Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Sketch card discussion

Sketch cards, yay or nay

• Great pull!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
After pulling one of these sketch cards, I am hooked. I would like to get opinions from others on the appeal of these cards. In this business of rookie cards, jersey cards, and autographs, do you think there is room for the sketch card to be a viable hit in hobby products?

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I like them a lot, but I think the player pictured should always be identified by name on the card. I want a retro set of these - would love a Mark Grace for the collection!

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
The majority of them look like a 12 year old did them. I'm thoroughly not impressed. Give me an auto, give me a rare print run on a actual picture card. . . don't give me a 12 year old's doodle.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
They are better than plain game-used cards of low-value players.

They are a different kind of "insert" card, which I really miss from the 90s.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
I don't like the fact that they are "loose" 1/1's much like printing plates.

Just because a sketch card is technically unique, does not mean it gets proper 1/1 billing. I think that 2 per case in U&H is too many. If they fell 1 per case, or 1 every other case, that would have been better.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Jeff N. said:
The majority of them look like a 12 year old did them. I'm thoroughly not impressed. Give me an auto, give me a rare print run on a actual picture card. . . don't give me a 12 year old's doodle.

I disagree, the art work on the majority of them is quite nice.

What if they started doing sketch cards autographed by the player depicted?

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
I agree that it is bad that they are "loose" 1/1's. If they want to say they are 1/1 that is fine, but release the number on how many 1/1's there are. I almost hit the BIN of $100 on the first Hanley I saw. Glad I didn't because I've seen 6-7 of them now, which has lowered the value to $20 or under. I'd like better artwork for some, and card numbers on the back so even if there are 10 Hanley's they all have different card numbers and could be considered 1/1's.

This one could use better artwork.
ramirez.jpg

G

I think there should be a base set of colored sketch cards and then the original sketches could be inserted as 1/1's instead of just putting them in random sets.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
Good idea - almost like the Ginter Dick Perez sketch cards?

MyPens66 said:
I think there should be a base set of colored sketch cards and then the original sketches could be inserted as 1/1's instead of just putting them in random sets.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
cgilmo said:
I don't like the fact that they are "loose" 1/1's much like printing plates.

Just because a sketch card is technically unique, does not mean it gets proper 1/1 billing. I think that 2 per case in U&H is too many. If they fell 1 per case, or 1 every other case, that would have been better.

Yep this is what I think. I think there are more than one sketch card of each player in Topps UH, which ruins the 1/1 thing. If there was only one sketch card of each player, I wouldn't have a problem with it and I think it would add to their value.

G

ffgameman said:
Good idea - almost like the Ginter Dick Perez sketch cards?

MyPens66 said:
Yeah, but a whole set of them done by good artists.

cmixer

Aug 9, 2008
go back to 2005 TOPPS GALLERY - only 1 sketch card of each player, but you could use retired or HOFers ... alltogether maiking 500+ sketch cards, but each one really unique -

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
cmixer said:
go back to 2005 TOPPS GALLERY - only 1 sketch card of each player, but you could use retired or HOFers ... alltogether maiking 500+ sketch cards, but each one really unique -

That's what I'm looking for. No more false 1/1's.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Tomlinson21RB said:
cmixer said:

That's what I'm looking for. No more false 1/1's.

We can all agree that there are improvements to be made in the production of sketch cards. False 1/1's is probably issue #1. And that could be worse, just look at moments and milestones.

But i would love it if they would pick one product and make sketch cards a focal point, and perhaps incorporate player autographs.

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
i've been trying to track the topps update sketch cards since it came out and it looks as if there were/are about 150ish total sketch cards out there minus the unopened ones plus buyers who are holding onto them. i've already seen multiples of arod, johan, hanley, hamilton, lincecum, etc.

with different artist sketches plus more sketch cards coming out through topps stadium club, i think it might be flooded in the nearest future which in my opinion, would severely devalue them

dave

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
daveyou said:
i've been trying to track the topps update sketch cards since it came out and it looks as if there were/are about 150ish total sketch cards out there minus the unopened ones plus buyers who are holding onto them. i've already seen multiples of arod, johan, hanley, hamilton, lincecum, etc.

with different artist sketches plus more sketch cards coming out through topps stadium club, i think it might be flooded in the nearest future which in my opinion, would severely devalue them

dave

I have seen 3 lineceums

marterburn

daveyou said:

dave

are these all by the same artist, or different artists. I've seen 3 completely different Kemp sketch cards by two diferent artists.

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
i saw 4 hanleys, about 5 arod's, 5 johans, 4 hamiltons, some are the same sketch by the same artist but black and white sketch or colored sketch....

it kind of slowed down in terms of them being listed but if i read correctly, these sketch cards will be also available on topps stadium club as well

dave

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
marterburn said:
daveyou said:

dave

are these all by the same artist, or different artists. I've seen 3 completely different Kemp sketch cards by two diferent artists.

different artists but i've seen a few where the same artist had sketched the same subject twice or more. with color variations and such as well

dave

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
marterburn said:
daveyou said:

dave

most are by different artists

Members online

Latest posts