Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BA PROSPECT HOT SHEET - 6/19

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brianga26

Aug 7, 2008
Atlanta, GA
how long has Gio been a prospect? Sorry guys, but isn't it time for HIS time? just curious.. no hating on him.. he is a helluva a pitcher but there should be a time limit of prospect status.. ya know?

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
Very cool, glad to see Gio get acknowledged. I hope he can find some consistency and stay up for good. He's also a very, VERY, nice person. He is very accomodating for pictures and autographs before the games.

Patterson will most likely get traded at some point. I think he would bring good value in return. He's got good speed and has good range at second. He is also very respectable offensively. He has his average up to .318 and had a five hit, 2 HR game against Fresno yesterday. There does seem to be a bit of a bottleneck at second base in the A's minor league system.

miles.ngo

Aug 17, 2008
Maybe Gio won't blow a 3 run lead in extra innings when he gets called up this time...but I honestly don't see him doing better than any of current starters; Braden/Cahill/Outman/Mazzaro/Anderson...he might take Anderson's slot in the rotation to give him a break, or slate him to the bullpen for long-term relief. I really see it being a race between Gio Gonzalez/Sean Gallagher/Dana Eveland at this point--I wouldn't be surprised if any of them are traded for position players either.

I really hope he does well, he's one of the nicest guys I've ever seen at the ballpark. I've been pulling for him for a long time...but he's been a real let down every time he gets called up to the majors. Hopefully with his confidence up, now is his time to shine.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
brianga26 said:
how long has Gio been a prospect? Sorry guys, but isn't it time for HIS time? just curious.. no hating on him.. he is a helluva a pitcher but there should be a time limit of prospect status.. ya know?

Time limit or age limit? He's not quite 24 yet so I would say he still qualifies as a prospect. At 25 or 26 I would probably agree but at 23 I think he still qualifies IMO.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Tom Oates said:
brianga26 said:

Time limit or age limit? He's not quite 24 yet so I would say he still qualifies as a prospect. At 25 or 26 I would probably agree but at 23 I think he still qualifies IMO.

The limit would be 50 innings pitched in the bigs. He's not quite there yet.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
miles.ngo said:
Maybe Gio won't blow a 3 run lead in extra innings when he gets called up this time...but I honestly don't see him doing better than any of current starters; Braden/Cahill/Outman/Mazzaro/Anderson...he might take Anderson's slot in the rotation to give him a break, or slate him to the bullpen for long-term relief. I really see it being a race between Gio Gonzalez/Sean Gallagher/Dana Eveland at this point--I wouldn't be surprised if any of them are traded for position players either.

I really hope he does well, he's one of the nicest guys I've ever seen at the ballpark. I've been pulling for him for a long time...but he's been a real let down every time he gets called up to the majors. Hopefully with his confidence up, now is his time to shine.

Yes, Eveland is pitching well too. I believe he is 5-0 with an ERA at 3.76 or very close to that. PCL ERA tend to be a bit higher than the norm.

miles.ngo

Aug 17, 2008
Tom Oates said:
Very cool, glad to see Gio get acknowledged. I hope he can find some consistency and stay up for good. He's also a very, VERY, nice person. He is very accomodating for pictures and autographs before the games.

Patterson will most likely get traded at some point. I think he would bring good value in return. He's got good speed and has good range at second. He is also very respectable offensively. He has his average up to .318 and had a five hit, 2 HR game against Fresno yesterday. There does seem to be a bit of a bottleneck at second base in the A's minor league system.

Yep. Outfield's just completely jammed...Holliday/Sweeney/Buck are our everyday starters; Rajai Davis is a serviceable bench player, there's Chris Denorfia; and even Daric Barton plays OF from time to time..then you get to our countless OF players in Sacramento. The A's have been calling on Aaron Cunningham as of late, and there are rumors of Sean Doolittle seeing time on the A's soon. Patterson got a chance at 2B after Mark Ellis' injury, but the A's traded for Adam Kennedy and he's been doing fine at that position--so that rules him out at 2B as well. He might get another chance once Holliday gets traded; but who's saying that we won't get another OF prospect in return for him...

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
blitzerlover said:
How does Freeman not make it?

His last ten games:

.417 AVG, 3 2B, 2 HR

He was one of my ?s for the upcoming chat, for sure.

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
Love the Stud at #2.... :D

Matusz2008USABaseballNationalTea-9.jpg

Matusz2008USABaseballNationalTea-2.jpg

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
Jaypers said:
Tom Oates said:
brianga26 said:

The limit would be 50 innings pitched in the bigs. He's not quite there yet.

Jaypers, Is that for "Rookie" status for pitchers or a rule of thumb for the definition of "Prospect". Honest question, I'm not trying to argue the point. I value your opinion and just want to understand better. Gio's at 42.2 innings so another quality start at the major league level could put him over the limit.

brianga26

Aug 7, 2008
Atlanta, GA
On Gio,

yea I know he is young still. It just seems like he has been around forever. Guess it was the fact he dominated in quite a few leagues he pitched in. I would like to see him in Oakland, but another poster had said, its going to be tough to break through the Mazzaro, Cahill, and Anderson Trifecta.