Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Which prospects do you think are flying under the radar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
Which prospects do you think are not getting the love they deserve, or at least some attention. Besides the local giants fans, alderson gets no attention, yet he is 3-1 with a 1.82 ERA in AA ball. I am not expecting his chrome autos to be at like 40, but it seems they are real low and everyone thinks he is a bust.

So...which prospects in your franchise are flying under the radar?

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
darocker80 said:
Why is he still in A ball?

because the Red Sox have decent catchers at each level creating a log jam. Also Tim having a chrome auto soon kills his base Chromes.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
IndyMann said:
darocker80 said:
aw00d05 said:
A little old, but ya nice stats.
21 is old?? Damn Ken, I must be near death at 29!

Yeah no kidding.

darocker this isn't directed at you so please don't take offense to it... but this is such an ignorant attitude to have about prospects. Just because a guy isn't 18 years old doesn't mean that he is too old to be a prospect.

The obvious example is Ryan Howard who didn't break the majors until he was 25 or 26...but no one likes to hear about him because he's a "1 in a million" example.

In that case, how about Nelson Cruz? Guy is 28 (and will be 29 in a month), but if you don't think people have and still are making money off this guys' cards, then you are completely oblivious to the concept of prospecting.

Ya know who else is pretty darn rare? Guys who break the Majors at age 20 and perform well enough to stay there. I can only think of two off the top of my head, Miguel Cabrera and Rick Porcello. If you can think of more such players, please share them.

In all actuality, 22-26 year olds are the ones that are actually ready to play in the majors, so they are the ones who are getting called up...NOT the ultra prospects like Jason Heyward (still 19, and also still in A-ball). Nothin against Heyward, but as high on him as people are, he isn't ready for the majors and won't be for at least another year and probably two.

Nothing matters more than perceived hype when it comes to prospecting. Not age, not performance. Even if a guy completely sucks, if you can convince about 10 people that he is going to be the next Albert Pujols, his cards will see some huge leaps.

If people can make money off Cruz, a 28 year old seeing his first real time in the majors, then I think a 21 year old is young enough to be considered a legitimate prospect.

Sorry bout the rant, but this kind of attitude is one thing that annoys the hell out of me. I don't really care what other "prospectors" on this board buy, but anyone who thinks that a 21 year old or even a 24 year old for that matter is too old to make you money, then you don't understand prospecting.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
That said, one of my favorite prospects, Ryan Strieby is still flying under the radar somehow.

He's having another huge season, at or near the top of the league in every major offensive category, but apparently people don't like that he's 23 years old in Double-A ball...?

Oh well though, I'm still buying, and I'll be sure to let you all know my final numbers when I move all my stuff of him.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
scotty21690 said:
Damn Ryan, well put!

You made Ken look silly. :p

It's not even directed at Ken, it's just the general attitude on FCB that once I guy hits age 20, he should retire. Makes no sense to me because anyone with that attitude is leaving money (and lots of it) on the table.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
With a guy like Tim Federowicz, who I like, it will take at least a year of solid stats to get him on Baseball America's radar simply because he was a 7th rounder.

And again on the age discussion, while age of a prospect is important, it's actually more important to know the background. For example, there is a big difference between a guy who was drafted out of a D-1 school being in Low-A ball at age 21, than a guy drafted out of high school repeating Low-A for the third season.

Also of reference Pedro Alvarez is in High-A right now and is 6 months older than TFed.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
200lbhockeyplayer said:
With a guy like Tim Federowicz, who I like, it will take at least a year of solid stats to get him on Baseball America's radar simply because he was a 7th rounder.

And again on the age discussion, while age of a prospect is important, it's actually more important to know the background. For example, there is a big difference between a guy who was drafted out of a D-1 school being in Low-A ball at age 21, than a guy drafted out of high school repeating Low-A for the third season.

Also of reference Pedro Alvarez is in High-A right now and is 6 months older than TFed.

Very solid points.

matty07

Aug 7, 2008
Hamilton, Canada
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
That said, one of my favorite prospects, Ryan Strieby is still flying under the radar somehow.

He's having another huge season, at or near the top of the league in every major offensive category, but apparently people don't like that he's 23 years old in Double-A ball...?

Oh well though, I'm still buying, and I'll be sure to let you all know my final numbers when I move all my stuff of him.

Another thing that frustrates me since were on the frustration train haha. If the guy doesnt turn out to be like a Longoria, Porcello right out of the gate they think hes an automatic bust

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
matty07 said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:

Another thing that frustrates me since were on the frustration train haha. If the guy doesnt turn out to be like a Longoria, Porcello right out of the gate they think hes an automatic bust

Yeah what's wrong with Gordon Beckham? So what he didn't get off to a fast start...he's still going to be the core of that team for years to come.

It does help if the guy has a big debut though...for money making purposes at least.

Members online