Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ryne Sandberg to Sammy Sosa No HOF

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
"They use the word 'integrity' in describing a Hall of Famer in the logo of the Hall of Fame, and I think there are gonna be quite a few players that are not going to get in," said Sandberg.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Ryne Sandberg vs. Sammy Sosa - the HOF Debate

So Ryne Sandberg has jumped into the media by declaring that Sosa's association with steroid usage and integrity questions should leave him out of the Hall of Fame.

Sammy...how does the bus look from the underside?

Personally, I don't like a guy like Sandberg entering this debate. Not at all. I'm a firm believer in the more you posture, you more you are hiding.

(NOTE: I didn't see this previous post and simply copied the thread I created on the topic...so I merged it without further editing.)

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
200lbhockeyplayer said:
Personally, I don't like a guy like Sandberg entering this debate. Not at all. I'm a firm believer in the more you posture, you more you are hiding.

Sandberg is Sosa's former teammate and a member of the Hall of Fame; if he isn't qualified to "enter this debate," then who in the hell would be?

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Mozzie22 said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

Sandberg is Sosa's former teammate and a member of the Hall of Fame; if he isn't qualified to "enter this debate," then who in the hell would be?
The second part of what you bolded is why I don't like Sandberg getting into this debate.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
200lbhockeyplayer said:
Mozzie22 said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

The second part of what you bolded is why I don't like Sandberg getting into this debate.

What do you presume Ryne Sandberg is hiding? You think his vilification of steroid users (those that didn't do it the right way…or what ever he said) during his HOF acceptance speech was some massive cover up to throw us off his trail? Aren't we getting a little ridiculous with who we think has something to hide?

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
I'm out of this discussion because I'm tired and ready for bed. There will always be the conspiracy theorists that believe every single player post Ruth was a roid/drug user but I just don't buy it. I'd bet my house that Sandberg was clean and because of that he has every right to tell Sosa to go pack sand.

HawaiianLance

Aug 7, 2008
Mozzie22 said:
I'm out of this discussion because I'm tired and ready for bed. There will always be the conspiracy theorists that believe every single player post Ruth was a roid/drug user but I just don't buy it. I'd bet my house that Sandberg was clean and because of that he has every right to tell Sosa to go pack sand.

+1

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
I'm sure they asked Sandberg about it and he didn't just bring up the issue himself.
What was he supposed to say when asked?
If guys like Sandberg, Ozzie Snith, Cal Ripken etc. doesn't define integrity, I'm not sure whoe does!

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
goldenegg1 said:
I'm sure they asked Sandberg about it and he didn't just bring up the issue himself.
What was he supposed to say when asked?
If guys like Sandberg, Ozzie Snith, Cal Ripken etc. doesn't define integrity, I'm not sure whoe does!

+1 (thanked)

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I can't possibly believe that a player who played as long as Sandberg did would be "blinded" by steroids as he claims. I'm not stating that Sandberg used steroids, but the play the Bud Selig "ignorance" card is laughable.

And not every player in the Hall of Fame epitomizes "integrity" so taking that "holier than thou" attitude turns me off.

I'm also a firm believer that at least one HOFer used steroids, if not dozens. This isn't some crazed "conspiracy theory" either, it's logic. So this witch hunt of recent players simply implies that the problem was a recent one - it was not.

Should players of the 70s and 80s simply get a "free pass" because they didn't get caught? I don't think so, therefore I don't see the logic in projecting a "clean" image from that period either.

I'm a firm believer in punishing based upon the accepted rules of the game at the time. Just as we won't punish all of the players who used greenies/amphetamines (in the thousands), we can't project punishment based upon the current rules. Manny was caught using a banned substance, and he'll sit for 50 games, per the punishment. Should that keep Manny out of the Hall of Fame? Absolutely not...just the stated 50 games.

If Sosa's name is on that list, so be it. There was no punishment for positives at the time.

I didn't make the rules, but we can at least enforce them, and not extend upon them.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
To further emphasize your point:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/20/opini ... ef=opinion

200lbhockeyplayer said:
I can't possibly believe that a player who played as long as Sandberg did would be "blinded" by steroids as he claims. I'm not stating that Sandberg used steroids, but the play the Bud Selig "ignorance" card is laughable.

And not every player in the Hall of Fame epitomizes "integrity" so taking that "holier than thou" attitude turns me off.

I'm also a firm believer that at least one HOFer used steroids, if not dozens. This isn't some crazed "conspiracy theory" either, it's logic. So this witch hunt of recent players simply implies that the problem was a recent one - it was not.

Should players of the 70s and 80s simply get a "free pass" because they didn't get caught? I don't think so, therefore I don't see the logic in projecting a "clean" image from that period either.

I'm a firm believer in punishing based upon the accepted rules of the game at the time. Just as we won't punish all of the players who used greenies/amphetamines (in the thousands), we can't project punishment based upon the current rules. Manny was caught using a banned substance, and he'll sit for 50 games, per the punishment. Should that keep Manny out of the Hall of Fame? Absolutely not...just the stated 50 games.

If Sosa's name is on that list, so be it. There was no punishment for positives at the time.

I didn't make the rules, but we can at least enforce them, and not extend upon them.

If a player grants interviews, does appearances, signs autographs, signs autographs when he is the focus of the entire world, donates to charity, has a clean record, just because he sticks a needle in himself to bolster his immune system and to help him stay on the field through injury and fatigue makes him have no integrity???? I find that hard to believe. If you knew if you had a few big years that you could make millions , and to do this took a substance to helped you stay on the field after you have had nagging season ending injurys, you would do it too, i know i would.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Philip J. Fry said:
"They use the word 'integrity' in describing a Hall of Famer in the logo of the Hall of Fame, and I think there are gonna be quite a few players that are not going to get in," said Sandberg.

Oh how short people's memories are. Sandberg divorced his first wife shortly before his first retirement and within a month had announced his intentions to marry his second wife. Guess what that means folks.

I hate when people bring up the "integrity" argument. Ty Cobb has been in the Hall for far too long for the integrity argument to be valid.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
There are two arguments I find absolutely pathetic. One is making excuses for PED users. The other is saying past players should be treated the same as PROVEN users. There is no logic in that no matter how many times someone jams it down your throat. If a player wasn't caught cheating, claiming that he "could have been a cheater" is mind-numbingly illogical and basically lawful slander. I hope any player that has been proven to have used PEDs never gets in the Hall of Fame... I agree with Sandberg. Integrity is a key factor to Hall worthiness and physically enhancing your body to accumulate better stats and longevity proves lack of integrity. Blah blah blah amphetamines this and greenies that. Show us the hard proof that the players you are talking about used illegal substances (they probably were not even illegal then, making it moot) to enhance their play and we can start talking about it logically and not hypothetically.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Therion said:
Philip J. Fry said:

Oh how short people's memories are. Sandberg divorced his first wife shortly before his first retirement and within a month had announced his intentions to marry his second wife. Guess what that means folks.

I hate when people bring up the "integrity" argument. Ty Cobb has been in the Hall for far too long for the integrity argument to be valid.

It means integrity in the game of baseball. Sandberg's personal life has nothing to do with his on-field antics. If it meant integrity off the field, 75% or more of the Hall would not be there.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
sportscardtheory said:
Therion said:
Philip J. Fry said:

It means integrity in the game of baseball. Sandberg's personal life has nothing to do with his on-field antics. If it meant integrity off the field, 75% or more of the Hall would not be there.

Uhhh...Ty Cobb beat a man half-to-death during a baseball game for heckling him. I don't know how that doesn't qualify as "on the field".

Latest posts