Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why does Manny get treated like a hero despite being banned?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
It makes no sense to me.

ESPN is simply praising Manny for his 50 game suspension.

The Albuquerque crowd gave him a standing ovation in his at-bats.

He is still a top 6 All-Star voted OF'er.

It is truly pathetic seeing he cheated on the game of baseball, yet gets treated like he did something spectacular.

Everyone can go on and hate Arod and Bonds for doing the exact same thing. (Not saying they do not deserve it).

I just hate the fact that one man can be praised and people will go on acting like it is no big deal.

Sure Manny, the Woman's Fertility Drug had nothing to do with steroids. Just let Manny be Manny.

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
bradical said:
Same reason why people still go nuts for A-Rod.

Yea, but if you recall everyone hated Arod right after the incident. He was constantly booed.

bigpops65

Feb 9, 2009
Providence, RI
Y4NK335 said:
bradical said:

Yea, but if you recall everyone hated Arod right after the incident. He was constantly booed.

A lot of people hated A-Rod BEFORE the incident.

One difference is Manny was never on the record saying he didn't do PED. A-Rod went on National TV and said he never took anything. He flat out lied. Fans don't like being lied to.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
People have always treated Manny differently.

Any other player, in any other sport would have been crucified for his flaky behavior, lack of hustle and giving up on his team...but Manny wasn't.

Therefore, why should this be any different?

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
bigpops65 said:
Y4NK335 said:
bradical said:

One difference is Manny was never on the record saying he didn't do PED. A-Rod went on National TV and said he never took anything. He flat out lied. Fans don't like being lied to.

This is true, but I still do not believe Manny should be receiving this kind of treatment.

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
200lbhockeyplayer said:
People have always treated Manny differently.

Any other player, in any other sport would have been crucified for his flaky behavior, lack of hustle and giving up on his team...but Manny wasn't.

Therefore, why should this be any different?

Something I will never understand. 100% correct..

aw00d05

Dec 18, 2008
bikerider60 said:
Take a good look... Football...Hockey, Baseball the all American Sport is a Witch hunt...Burn them at the Stake.
Does it help that he may be the best clutch player of this era?

championMan

Apr 16, 2009
200lbhockeyplayer said:

And I may add his not going after any Records help. If he was heading for Maris or Bonds Record he will be crucify by the media.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
Manny is Manny...he doesn't try to preserve any image. His care-free attitude imho is respectable. He doesn't care if you love him or hate him. He doesn't have anything to prove. He doesn't profess to be perfect....like he said, it's not as though he ***** or killed anyone. He plays the game for fun.

manny_elite.jpg

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Manny's like that really stupid dog that runs into furniture...you laugh at him and wait to see what he'll run into next. I think people just expect him to do stupid things and have thus "forgiven" him in short order. I never cared for him before the PEDs, so I'll continue doing my thing.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I gotta disagree here. He plays the game for the love of the cold hard cash. He constantly disrespects the game that provided him with obscene wealth.

hofautos said:
Manny is Manny...he doesn't try to preserve any image. His care-free attitude imho is respectable. He doesn't care if you love him or hate him. He doesn't have anything to prove. He doesn't profess to be perfect....like he said, it's not as though he ***** or killed anyone. He plays the game for fun.

manny_elite.jpg

Crash Davis

Aug 19, 2008
bigpops65 said:
Y4NK335 said:
bradical said:

What a cop-out of a response.

Any player who has failed a drug test flat-out lied to fans. They violated the rules of the sport of baseball. They violated the public's trust.

For you to say that Manny didn't lie because he didn't flat-out deny using PEDs is ridiculous. He cheated. He's a liar, just like the rest of them.

A-Rod. Sosa. Palmeiro. Bonds. Ramirez.

All cheaters. All liars. Period.

Manny is disgusting. So is A-Rod.

jeremy

Aug 7, 2008
YOU KNOW
yeah i think mannys personality has to do w/ it, he seems to be friendly and has fun when he plays, high fiving fans and such.

i dont like him all that much but i don tknow

Manny never flat out denied he took anything. Arod went on TV and lied time after time. Manny never buckeled under pressure. Always performed. Always had that care free attitude. Flat out, i know he quit on his team, but people for some strange reason like Manny Ramirez. He's that weird kid in school that always does the best on the Gym Class Obstacle course. Just doing his own thing and makes it look so easy. He is just likeable. Arod was never viewed the same. Manny made it look effortless. I guess there is a Pop Culture obsession with people who have that care free attitude but get cought in a scandal. The groundswell of support they receive is always shocking. I have always liked manny. Whether he took anything or not i could care less. My all time favorite player took juice. I can not be judgemental as i prolly would have juiced also to get myself monetary gain for a secure financial future so i will not ridicule any juicer.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
jcmint said:
I gotta disagree here. He plays the game for the love of the cold hard cash. He constantly disrespects the game that provided him with obscene wealth.

hofautos said:

DUH...they all play for the big bucks, but he plays more for fun than most, that was my point. He doesn't take it so serious. I kind of like his game myself.

As far as all those screaming cheaters..whah, whah...

124 people were on the list...and probably another 124 not on the list...what are your imperfections....let he that is without sin throw the first stone...I am not saying I approve it, but imho, it's time to give it a rest. I don't like it, but I can get over it...it is a part of the history, and all the whining will not change it.

Bottom line for me, I enjoy what Manny brings to the game.

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
hofautos said:
quote]

Tough to agree with this one, if he didn't care, why would he have used anything to begin with?

He is consumed with the money and the game no matter what he puts out there, otherwise he'd never have taken anything and he would have just retired when he got bored with the game. I seriously doubt that when he hangs it up that people will still love him, he reminds me of Sosa. All fan friendly, all big numbers and completely ignored after they are out of the game.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts