Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Tulo is back to form!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
I wouldn't say hes "back to form" since he blasted 2 dingers tonight. We'll see how the week goes.

Allen

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
Bruin7 said:
I wouldn't say hes "back to form" since he blasted 2 dingers tonight. We'll see how the week goes.

Allen

The last 2 weeks of Tulo have been absolutely incredible..He has been crushing the ball, hitting for power and average, and stealing bases. If he keeps this pace up, he is going to be challenging Hanley for best SS in the NL.

KOBEARODLT

Sep 29, 2008
Jays_Cards said:
Bruin7 said:

Allen

The last 2 weeks of Tulo have been absolutely incredible..He has been crushing the ball, hitting for power and average, and stealing bases. If he keeps this pace up, he is going to be challenging Hanley for best SS in the NL.

ummm...seriously.....no not even close to hanley

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
Bruin7 said:

Allen

Why don't you go back to June 7 and see how the month is going...

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
KOBEARODLT said:
Jays_Cards said:
Bruin7 said:

Allen

Hanley: 258 AB's, 10 HR's, 40 RBI, 9 SB, .329 AVG, .930 OPS
Tulo: 218 AB's, 12 HR's, 30 RBI, 9 SB, .266 AVG, .865 OPS

Hanley: 252 TC, 6 errors, .976 FP
Tulo: 295 TC, 3 errors, .990 FP

KOBEARODLT

Sep 29, 2008
Adamsince1981 said:
KOBEARODLT said:
Jays_Cards said:
Bruin7 said:

Allen

as i said..........not even close 60 plus point higher batting average....and tulo is a big guy i would hope he would have more hr's than hanley, im sorry but he is not even near hanley ramirez and his last 2 week tear is just that and it wont keep
happening

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
KOBEARODLT said:
Adamsince1981 said:
KOBEARODLT said:
Jays_Cards said:
Bruin7 said:

Allen

as i said..........not even close 60 plus point higher batting average....and tulo is a big guy i would hope he would have more hr's than hanley, im sorry but he is not even near hanley ramirez and his last 2 week tear is just that and it wont keep
happening

So with 40 less AB's Tulo has 2 more HR's and the same amount of SB's and with 43 more total chances(Tulo gets to more balls, makes more plays) in the field, Tulo has 3 less errors; but in your eyes it isn't even close?

Hanley has a better average and his extra base hit totals are awesome. Tulo has more pop, drives in more runs, and plays gold glove defense. In June you have to take Tulo, for the year it is Hanley (as of right now), for the career you have to take Hanley....from here on out...well, Tulo is 2 years younger; it will be an easier call in late September.

Bottom line...it is close.

Keep in mind that this turn around isn't exactly a tear or a hot streak. This started when Hurdle was fired and Tracy tweaked Tulo's batting stance. Tulo hit .327 last year after the all-star break and has never hit less than .280 in any month from June - September in his career.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
Looks close to me, but Hanley is better

Adamsince1981 said:
KOBEARODLT said:
Jays_Cards said:
Bruin7 said:

Allen

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
Tomlinson21RB said:
60 points difference in batting average is huge, especially when one player plays half his games at Coors.

Tulo's HR's are split evenly at 6 (Home/Away), he has 4 more doubles away than he does at home, and his away average is only 10 points lower than his seasonal average. I'd say this would be typical for most players. Coors field has the humidor now.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
Adamsince1981 said:
Tomlinson21RB said:
60 points difference in batting average is huge, especially when one player plays half his games at Coors.

Tulo's HR's are split evenly at 6 (Home/Away), he has 4 more doubles away than he does at home, and his away average is only 10 points lower than his seasonal average. I'd say this would be typical for most players. Coors field has the humidor now.

He still has a dramatic home/road split. .934 OPS at home vs. .805 on the road. Very good numbers either way, though.

That said, he's never been a great player on the road. Career splits are 855 vs 739. Coors has definitely helped him to this point.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
braden said:
Adamsince1981 said:
Tomlinson21RB said:

He still has a dramatic home/road split. .934 OPS at home vs. .805 on the road. Very good numbers either way, though.

That said, he's never been a great player on the road. Career splits are 855 vs 739. Coors has definitely helped him to this point.

And even assuming Coors doesn't play a part, 60 points of batting average is a HUGE difference. The most valuable play a hitter can make is not making an out.

onehrk

Aug 7, 2008
San Diego, CA
Tomlinson21RB said:

No doubt. I'm a fan of a team that hits .236 as a team. If they hit .296, well damn lol

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
Tomlinson21RB said:
braden said:
Adamsince1981 said:
Tomlinson21RB said:

And even assuming Coors doesn't play a part, 60 points of batting average is a HUGE difference. The most valuable play a hitter can make is not making an out.

Hits are great, but the most valuable play is the Grand Slam. With the 40 extra AB's and all the extra hits Hanley has to have such a high avg, he's only scored 5 more times that Tulo and has 10 more RBI. Judging by their careers thus far, Tulo will likely catch him in RBI.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
Adamsince1981 said:
Tomlinson21RB said:
braden said:
Adamsince1981 said:
Tomlinson21RB said:

Hits are great, but the most valuable play is the Grand Slam. With the 40 extra AB's and all the extra hits Hanley has to have such a high avg, he's only scored 5 more times that Tulo and has 10 more RBI. Judging by their careers thus far, Tulo will likely catch him in RBI.

RBI and runs are horrible measures for a player. While I personally agree Tulo is a lot closer to Hanley than most people think (though almost entirely due to defence; I'd take Hanley's bat every day of the week), I wouldn't care if one had 300 more RBI or Runs than the other.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
braden said:
Adamsince1981 said:
Tomlinson21RB said:
braden said:
Adamsince1981 said:
[quote="Tomlinson21RB":3setlg3i]60 points difference in batting average is huge, especially when one player plays half his games at Coors.

RBI and runs are horrible measures for a player. While I personally agree Tulo is a lot closer to Hanley than most people think (though almost entirely due to defence; I'd take Hanley's bat every day of the week), I wouldn't care if one had 300 more RBI or Runs than the other.[/quote:3setlg3i]

I was just pointing out that the "HUGE" difference in avg hasn't been all that more productive. No one has mentioned the defensive aspect of this discussion even though I layed it out as well ;)

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
Adamsince1981 said:
Tomlinson21RB said:
braden said:
Adamsince1981 said:
Tomlinson21RB said:

If the guys before a player record outs instead of hits or walks, that grand slam doesn't happen. The most valuable play is not recording an out.

In 40 more ab's Hanley only has 5 more runs and 10 more RBI. That is close, but again look at team and park factors. The Rockies as a team hit 10 points higher for average, have 40+ more RBI, and 30+ more Runs. Hanley has accounted for 13% of his teams RBI and Tulo only 8.5%. Hanley is 13% of his teams runs and Tulo is about 10%.

Members online