Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Dbacks 1st Rounder *******- Good Read

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
[Arizona Republic]

Not long after drafting Notre Dame outfielder A.J. ******* two weeks ago, a Diamondbacks talent evaluator gushed not just about the first rounder's skill set but also his makeup.

"Once you meet this kid and see him play," he said, "you're going to love him."

Selected No. 17 overall by the Diamondbacks, ******* this week finalized a contract that includes a $1.4 million bonus and is set to begin his pro career in Class A South Bend (Ind.), perhaps as soon as Thursday night.
"I'm really looking forward to just getting going," ******* said. "It's a dream come true for me."

******* gets high marks from scouts for his polished game - some believed he was the second-best college hitter in the draft behind North Carolina's Dustin Ackley - and for his character.

Instead of taking batting practice at Chase Field on Tuesday, ******* spent part of the afternoon visiting a St. Vincent de Paul charity, to which he is donating a portion of his bonus.

"It's indicative of the type of guy A.J. is," said Rob Martin, *******'s agent. "He's got his priorities straight."

******* had a strong junior year at Notre Dame after a blistering performance last summer in the Cape Cod League, a prestigious wood-bat league for college prospects. A scout with an American League club said ******* had one of the five best seasons of any player in history of the Cape, where he was named MVP after hitting .377 with a .455 on-base and .556 slugging.

With South Bend, his career will start just down the road from his college campus.

"I couldn't have scripted it out better from the start," he said.

Of the Diamondbacks' eight selections from the first day of the draft, six have signed or agreed to terms. Rhode Island right-hander Eric Smith (No. 60 overall) needs only to undergo medical exams this week before finalizing his deal, which includes a $605,000 bonus.

The club's top pick, Florida high school slugger Bobby Borchering (No. 16), and supplemental first-rounder Chris Owings (No. 41), a high school shortstop from South Carolina, remain unsigned.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Re: Dbacks Ink 1st Rounder *******

Five days ago....viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49542&hilit=*******

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I am probably his biggest fan here, I sat and watched a game with him a few weeks ago and after watching him deal with kids all day and everything I gave him the advice of "Just don't change." He is an A+ kid, and deserves all the success he can get. I know I have shown this before but here is his jersey from last year in Falmouth.

100_0116.jpg

100_0115.jpg

Members online

Latest posts