Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Redeem Mystery Card or Buy two Boxes of Razor Sport Icons?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tuftsrunner

Jun 7, 2009
Boston, MA
I've been thinking about it for a while now but I pose a question to all...Should I sell my 2009 SP Legendary Cuts mystery Redemption card and buy two boxes of 2009 Razor Sport Icons or Redeem the card and roll the dice? If I buy the two boxes of Sport Icons I get some decent cut signatures, and have a shot at a couple of superstar cuts. On the other hand I could get a monster cut from Upper Deck? Any thoughts?

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
If you paid for a education from Tufts you should know the answer is sell the redemption and buy singles that you want.

tuftsrunner

Jun 7, 2009
Boston, MA
Yea, I would rather role the dice with one of the two choices. I think that's the whole appeal of cut signature products like Legendary Cuts and Sport Icons. The chance at the monster cut.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
tuftsrunner said:
Yea, I would rather role the dice with one of the two choices. I think that's the whole appeal of cut signature products like Legendary Cuts and Sport Icons. The chance at the monster cut.

look over the razor checklist

The chance for MOSTER cuts is kinda slim

the chance for a good cut that you will enjoy is high, and the chance for a dog is low

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
tuftsrunner said:

Bust wax then would be my route.

As Cgilmo mentioned the checklist is nice and you know you are getting at least two encased cards instead of one.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Personally, given the two options I would clearly choose the SP Legendary Mystery Cut signature.

While we can certain that there are some "dogs" in the product, we can be just as certain that there will be some fairly huge potential pulls. The Razor product has less risk, but just a lot less potential gain.

So if it's excitement you want...SP Legendary Cuts.

justwar

Aug 7, 2008
Take it from someone who, waited a year to get a hank stramm cut auto (dreamed about the John Lennon) and just recently saw IN PERSON how sweet the razor icons are. You're still kind of rolling the dice but with the Razor checklist you have a much better shot (percentage-wise) of getting a great hit.

Justin

Kutzy

Sep 2, 2008
I remember my only mystery cut auto from a UD product. I waited 13 months to get a John Travolta. I could have gotten $350 for the redemption, instead got over a year wait and a $100 card.

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
Personally I'd redeem it (the anticipation & waiting could be torture, but then again it also could be a thrill-ride...all those days speculating & dreaming of the possibilities & "what-if's")! I'd definitely roll the dice on the UD SP Legendary Cuts if I had to choose out of these 2 choice's that you offerred (the Razor stuff just doesn't do it for me)! Just my opinion, good luck either way bud! :D

Edit: Either way you're in an admirable position to be in! ;)

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I'll come clean...I sold my 2009 SP Legendary Cuts Mystery redemption and I'm putting the money into autographs/index cards that I'll make into cards.

But given those two choices...I'd take the chance with the SP Legendary Mystery Cut.

arod305

Aug 7, 2008
I dont even think its a question. With the mysery cut your actually going to get a cut signature of someone dead, the way cut autos should be.

i43770

Aug 7, 2008
Portland, OR
Between those two options, I would choose the Razor Sport Icons. If you are looking to sell, they both have about the same percentage that have sold for more than the price of box/redemption. If you are looking to keep them, with the Razor, you will have 2 autos (or more if you pull a dual) compared to 1. They are encased by BGS, so you know they will be protected for almost anything. It is pretty weird looking at completed auctions, there have been more players that are still alive selling for more than the price of a box than the ones that are deceased.

But to another option out there (well it has been mentioned in this thread already), I would sell the redemption and buy some Sports Icons. You can pick up quite a few deceased HOFers for $50 or less.

But on the price of Mystery Cuts, some people got some pretty good deals from this auction site/house: Huggins And Scott

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
If I had to do over I would have sold my 2008 Mystery Cuts redemption for $300 when I had a chance. I redeemed it and got this card, still haven't been able to sell it at a BIN of $45.

2008MysteryCutsSirGielgudFront.jpg

tuftsrunner

Jun 7, 2009
Boston, MA
I'm keeping track of what cards have been pulled out of Razor Sport Icons, to see if it's worth it. It's just hard to decide what to do right now since UD hasn't released a checklist yet. As of now I'm leaning towards selling and then buying the Sport Icons boxes while they are still available, not 100% sure yet though.

Latest posts