Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

SOOOOO funny...how my Razor prices have ended recently...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
Razor Metal Gold Ryan Moreland $10+
Razor Meta Blue Carlos Santana Auto $5+

I don't know if I should be buying more of the Razor Metal Gold Autos. What do you guys think?

Allen

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
Like the concept of razor metal, but razor still has a ways to go in challenging topps for KingOfChrome. Until razor singles/boxes/cases show a decent chance of recouping a decent ROI, I’m going to sit on the sidelines (outside of occasional flips).

soccerman034

Aug 12, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
cgilmo said:
let an exclusive get hype and see what happens

and no, I am not talking about weeks

When an on-card auto, numbered to 50, of one of the best catching prospect in the minors sells for $5, something is wrong. Exclusive or not, that is NOT a good sign, especially when his other sales remain good. I mean a base sterling auto of Santana is still selling for $12-15.

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
soccerman034 said:
cgilmo said:

When an on-card auto, numbered to 50, of one of the best catching prospect in the minors sells for $5, something is wrong. Exclusive or not, that is NOT a good sign, especially when his other sells remain good. I mean a base sterling auto of Santana is still selling for $12-15.

The problem is. Outside of these boards. Razor just isn't that popular. The hobby stores in my town don't carry it and the collector's in my area don't have anything to do with it. Could this change? Sure, but Razor has a long ways to go. I think one of the biggest problems is Metal wasn't packed out. It has more of a novelty feel to it than a true packed out rc card.

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
soccerman034 said:
cgilmo said:

When an on-card auto, numbered to 50, of one of the best catching prospect in the minors sells for $5, something is wrong. Exclusive or not, that is NOT a good sign, especially when his other sales remain good. I mean a base sterling auto of Santana is still selling for $12-15.

Exactly. Based on ending prices (generally), razor’s starting to remind me of just minors/tristar to some degree. Must improve qc (a # of razor sigs I bought had chipping) + < box/case price- + stop releasing essentially the same ‘exclusive’ products (flooding yourself out of the market), + be more innovative before razor will grab significant market share imo

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
rainmanesq said:
soccerman034 said:
cgilmo said:

Exactly. Based on ending prices (generally), razor’s starting to remind me of just minors/tristar to some degree. Must improve qc (a # of razor sigs I bought had chipping) + < box/case price- + stop releasing essentially the same ‘exclusive’ products (flooding yourself out of the market), + be more innovative before razor will grab significant market share imo

When you stack up a Razor auto vs. a Topps or Donruss auto, the latter will win.

The real money for Razor will be made with the exclusives.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
Largely unknown company, announced print runs(no serial #'ing), and distrubuted exclusively through eBay. Not what I'd call a recipe for success.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
Jaypers said:
rainmanesq said:
soccerman034 said:
cgilmo said:

When you stack up a Razor auto vs. a Topps or Donruss auto, the latter will win.

I don't think the "real money" will be that big regardless. By the time some of the exclusives are really hitting it big, they'll be out of their contract or near it.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
One thing to consider as well is Razor's announced "M" box for the National. This should feature some extremely sought after cards that will trump almost everything else that Razor has put out.

Either way, anyone who wanted a Santana had plenty of opportunity to bid on one direct from Razor. Give a little distance on the eBay release and we'll get a better idea.

Of course, the initial return is lacking which speaks volumes.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Brett Keith said:
Jaypers said:
rainmanesq said:
soccerman034 said:
cgilmo said:

I don't think the "real money" will be that big regardless. By the time some of the exclusives are really hitting it big, they'll be out of their contract or near it.

With a Chrome auto just around the corner.

And to Rain's comment... that has been said quite a few times... others get heat for it.... called haters. Go figure.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
200lbhockeyplayer said:
One thing to consider as well is Razor's announced "M" box for the National. This should feature some extremely sought after cards that will trump almost everything else that Razor has put out.

Either way, anyone who wanted a Santana had plenty of opportunity to bid on one direct from Razor. Give a little distance on the eBay release and we'll get a better idea.

the only new cards will be of matt wieters

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
cgilmo said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

I'm assuming that there will be some of the autographed "test" issues in this product...not simply the Wieters cards.

DRav87

Aug 11, 2008
Wisconsin
AKA Coastal said:
The problem is. Outside of these boards. Razor just isn't that popular. The hobby stores in my town don't carry it and the collector's in my area don't have anything to do with it. Could this change? Sure, but Razor has a long ways to go. I think one of the biggest problems is Metal wasn't packed out. It has more of a novelty feel to it than a true packed out rc card.

The owner of my local shop doesn't even know what Razor is.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Jon hit the nail on the head here.

soccerman034 said:
cgilmo said:

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Reds in 2009 said:
[quote="AKA Coastal":2zkf4gq4]The problem is. Outside of these boards. Razor just isn't that popular. The hobby stores in my town don't carry it and the collector's in my area don't have anything to do with it. Could this change? Sure, but Razor has a long ways to go. I think one of the biggest problems is Metal wasn't packed out. It has more of a novelty feel to it than a true packed out rc card.

The owner of my local shop doesn't even know what Razor is.[/quote:2zkf4gq4]

My shop owner knows who he is... and I havnt seen a box on his shelf. I think he refuses to stock it.... but not sure. He might have picked up a box or 2 for someone... but I never got an email when either product released... so dont think he bought any.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
cgilmo said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

what exactly is in the m box and how much is it

Members online

Latest posts