Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Paid over book, but couldn't resist - UPDATE OMG!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
They had 90 BIN OBO, and already had 4 offers, and so I thought I would email buyer and ask them what the lowest is they would take, and they told me they had an offer of $70, and they were going to accept it if they didn't get anything higher by this afternoon, so I figured I would have to go $75 at least, so just decided to pull the trigger.

Sweet looking card though, and after seeing the jordan that sold for $1700 from the same set, i had to do it!

1997-1998 Precious Gems #/50
scan0012-2.jpg

Be8el0ve

Aug 7, 2008
New Jersey
Re: Paid over book, but couldn't resist

hofautos said:
They had 90 BIN OBO, and already had 4 offers, and so I thought I would email buyer and ask them what the lowest is they would take, and they told me they had an offer of $70, and they were going to accept it if they didn't get anything higher by this afternoon, so I figured I would have to go $75 at least, so just decided to pull the trigger.

Sweet looking card though, and after seeing the jordan that sold for $1700 from the same set, i had to do it!

scan0012-2.jpg

Darn... you knocked my offer out... :cry:

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008

Can anyone explain this whole "90's insert" craze that we're in the middle off now? I don't get it!?

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa

People are sick of PWJ (Plain White Jerseys) coming as hits from $100+ boxes and long for something that reminds them of the days when it was more than just for the money.

shepsspot

Oct 27, 2008

tonsofcommons said:
People are sick of PWJ (Plain White Jerseys) coming as hits from $100+ boxes and long for something that reminds them of the days when it was more than just for the money.

So what pay $75 for a insert then, that are probably sitting in most peoples common boxes! I dont get it either.

Shep

autocut

shepsspot said:
tonsofcommons said:

So what pay $75 for a insert then, that are probably sitting in most peoples common boxes! I dont get it either.

Shep

They won't stay in those commons boxes for long. It's all about supply and demand.

ahill1

Aug 7, 2008

shepsspot said:
tonsofcommons said:

Shep

You think of how every company grossly over-produced there cards back in the '90's and early 2000's making it that much harder to pull a card serial numbered to 50 or less, and that is why these cards sell for as much as they do

blitzerlover

Aug 9, 2008

It is all about supply and demand, a card /'d that low 10 years old is going to be in high demand by Jeter collectors and set collectors. Add that demand to the fact that the card is /'d 50 and might be the only one these collectors have seen since they started collecting, and you get a high price.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008

Well, I'll be digging through my 90's boxes at home....does the card have to be serial numbered to qualify for this "explosion" of interest?

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York

It is supply and demand. All the low print run, even one per box parallels, from the '90s are drying up FAST and becoming harder and harder to find. Most innovation in trading cards sprouted from the '90s, so I don't see it slowing down any time soon. Every decade is known for something. The '50s-'70s was Topps monopoly, '80s was overproduction, '90s was innovation and the '00s is "prospecting". What will the '10s be...

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC

Messier2 said:
Well, I'll be digging through my 90's boxes at home....does the card have to be serial numbered to qualify for this "explosion" of interest?
Nope, there are rare unnumbered cards,variations and samples.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008

blitzerlover said:
It is all about supply and demand, a card /'d that low 10 years old is going to be in high demand by Jeter collectors and set collectors. Add that demand to the fact that the card is /'d 50 and might be the only one these collectors have seen since they started collecting, and you get a high price.
+1

It's also not just another color...the manufacturers actually had to spend more money to design the SP than to just give it a different color. :lol:

totran

Mar 25, 2009

sportscardtheory said:
Every decade is known for something What will the '10s be...
scratch and sniff game used, cards with a micro chip that will talk with the help of a topps exclusive player. "hey kids this is manny ramirez stay in school and dont do drugs" ::facepalm::

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008

Messier2 said:

Supply and demand...cool design and #'d is best, but there are many that are SP'd that aren't #d....the 1993 finest refractor being the most popular to fit that category....I'm a newbie at these inserts collecting myself...got bored with patches, and these are actually "fun to collect"...you never know what the search will find :mrgreen:

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008

totran said:
sportscardtheory said:
Every decade is known for something What will the '10s be...
scratch and sniff game used, cards with a micro chip that will talk with the help of a topps exclusive player. "hey kids this is manny ramirez stay in school and dont do drugs" ::facepalm::
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008

Be8el0ve said:
hofautos said:

scan0012-2.jpg

Darn... you knocked my offer out... :cry:

Sorry 'bout that! That darn beltran collector kept doing that to me... ;)

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky

It's about the design and creativity - something that many companies apparently do not care about now.

shepsspot said:
tonsofcommons said:

Shep

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008

This era of collecting was when many average people *started* into card investing after watching other collectors (and sometimes themselves!) go bonkers over (what was then) the novelty of interesting, really good-looking, innovative and, by the standards of the time, rare cards. What was rare then was certainly much more rare than anything put out before.

Collectors also had thick wallets from the economic boom days of the late '90s thanks to technology. The same technology started making these cards more readily available online, and it was soon discovered via this technology that vintage stuff could be more easily had by comparison to these new inserts and parallels. Most people back then thought these rare cards would be excellent investments, and sellers, continually looking into their crystal balls, were always able to "amazingly" forecast that all rare cards were great investments. Of course today we know that not all rare cards are good investments and most sellers had defective crysal balls.

After these '90s cards came GU and autos, which eventually fed into prospecting where long-term values of any card in particular are impossible to gauge from the outset (without a crystal ball anyway) because nobody knew how good the prospect will be or what he will accomplish in the future. The focus here is probably less on the rarity and looks of the card and rather what the player in question would potentially achieve. More people are into the money aspect, and these people have their crystal balls. Instead of selling cards 'simply' for their on rarity, novelty and good-looks, sellers were now selling player potential and the unknown, using their crystal balls to help sort out the future. Basically the potential of a player's contributions outweighed the need of the card to look nice. Emphasis on player and player collector here.

Most of these '90s inserts and parallels certainly are interesting, good-looking and rare enough to keep demand (and by extension prices) for them high no matter who the player is. The focus here is generally more on the set and set collectors and less on players and player collectors. But IMO, the best sets have: 1) a combination of player collector *and* set collector elements going for it; and 2) don't have too many people with crystal balls trying to tell you that the cards will make you rich. The hobby in the '90s certainly contrasts with the recent hobby.

tonsofcommons said:

Staff online

Latest posts