Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I have never asked before, need trade help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rob167

Aug 7, 2008
Ankeny, Iowa
First off, I am looking for valid/intelligent opinions only.

Normally I do intense research on cards I am unfamiliar with, but I cannot find much information on the A-Rod. Henceforth, furthermore, I am seeking input from the wisest of the wise cardboard guru's that are FCB. :D

The cards involved:

Alex Rodriguez 1997 SP Vinatge 1994 SP Buyback XX/94

Frank Thomas 1990 Topps NNOF BGS 8.5

Known info:

***I recently sold a Thomas NNOF BGS 8.0 (raw review) for $475 to a collector offline
***A couple of weeks after that sale, I saw a PSA 8.5 sell on eBay for $610
***I checked eBay and did not see any completed sales for the A-Rod.
***The autograph on the A-Rod may be faded (?)-I am waiting for a response from the owner

Is this an even trade, or does one person need to add (if so, how much?)? I know the general public (and most users here) do not utilize Beckett pricing, so I my question is moe sell value, not book value.

FrankThomasNNOF85.jpg

A-Rod.jpg

A-RodBack.jpg

A-RodCertificate.jpg

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I would say not even, but close.

The Arod has probably lost a little value due to the steroids, however, as for the card itself, there are only 94. And, there are insane collectors out there who do love those buybacks.

The Thomas is sweet and one of the most awesome early 90's cards around, but, im not sure of the print run on the NNOF. There are a good deal of Thomas collectors too.

I would personally take the Arod (unless the auto is super faded :/ )

Ian Stewart

Aug 7, 2008
That A-Rod got MAD $ a few years ago. I think, but am not sure, over $1,500-$2,000? I'm sure it's lost a ton with the whole steroid controversy and the auto is gross, but I'd probably take the A-Rod.

Crazylox23

Aug 8, 2008
The person that is getting the Arod and trading the Thomas should add more. The arod has a ton more potential and has already been a $2000+ card.

rob167

Aug 7, 2008
Ankeny, Iowa
thanks for the info/input guys. i figured i would have to add to get the a-rod (still not sure about the fading auto), but how far off are we in value? $100 CV? $200 CV? More?

KOBEARODLT

Sep 29, 2008
rob167 said:
thanks for the info/input guys. i figured i would have to add to get the a-rod (still not sure about the fading auto), but how far off are we in value? $100 CV? $200 CV? More?

i was just going to say no matter how bad i want a card i will NEVER NEVER NEVER spend money on a faded autograph

rob167

Aug 7, 2008
Ankeny, Iowa
I just checked my e-mail and received the following concerning the "faded" auto:

"The autograph doesn't appear to be fading but rather just a poor pen. I've had this card for quite sometime and it looks the same since I got it."

I am not sure that makes it any better or not. Still curious on input on how much folks think I would need to add.

KOBEARODLT

Sep 29, 2008
rob167 said:
I just checked my e-mail and received the following concerning the "faded" auto:

"The autograph doesn't appear to be fading but rather just a poor pen. I've had this card for quite sometime and it looks the same since I got it."

I am not sure that makes it any better or not. Still curious on input on how much folks think I would need to add.

regardles if its faded or a bad pen it still doesnt change it, some people dont mind if the auto is bad but for me i personally would rather pay a little more to get a better autograph

KOBEARODLT said:
rob167 said:

regardles if its faded or a bad pen it still doesnt change it, some people dont mind if the auto is bad but for me i personally would rather pay a little more to get a better autograph

+1 . In todays hobby, autographed cards command the most besides old graded vintage. If your gonna pay top dollar, make sure your getting a bold auto. The Arod auto is faded. Bottom Line.

rob167

Aug 7, 2008
Ankeny, Iowa
If (and it's a big if) I end up acquiring the A-Rod, it will only be to flip. I understand the fading/light auto takes away value. That is one reason why I am asking for opinions on how far off this trade is monetarily. I appreciate all of the opinions given so far. Does anyone have an estimated dollar amount this trade is off by?

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
This is simply my opinion and others will probably disagree, but I think since the auto is light (bad pen/faded/whatever) that you shouldn't add anything to it. If you could do a straight up deal, then go for it. If you need to add to it, I would walk away and pick one up later that has a better auto.

Just because the Rodriguez has "potential" to go back up doesn't mean you should have to add to it now.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
thefasterblade said:
I'd keep the Thomas.
+1
"It is not a faded auto it was a bad pen" How does he know what it is, was he there when Arod signed it. ::facepalm:: :lol:

Rob I would keep the Thomas until a better looking Arod came along.

Members online

Latest posts