Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Where is the Kershaw love?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
Another dominating performance from the 21 year old and still his cards are staying stagnant. Young, big market, power arm and complete dominance lately..I dont really get why his cards are not getting any love. He just pitched his 3rd game out of the last 4 without giving up a run and he has moved his season stats to:

87.67IP 63H 88K 3.49 ERA

I guess he is going to have to throw a couple of no-hitters to get some love back...

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
ThoseBackPages said:
Sadly, he hasnt been a "prospect" as far as the card geek world goes for a while now

I fully understand how the "prospecting game" works (and now thankfully I have been able to rid myself of it), but other young players have seen big spikes when they have produced at the MLB level. Kershaw has trended downwards since his debut for no reason in my eyes..

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Jays_Cards said:
ThoseBackPages said:
Sadly, he hasnt been a "prospect" as far as the card geek world goes for a while now

I fully understand how the "prospecting game" works (and now thankfully I have been able to rid myself of it), but other young players have seen big spikes when they have produced at the MLB level. Kershaw has trended downwards since his debut for no reason in my eyes..

maybe (hopefully) people are realizing that pitchers are there to act as fodder for hitters? ;)

Exposfan

Mar 16, 2009
Hartland, WI
He was outpitched by Jason Hammel. Not necessarily, but in order for him to get "Love" he needs to go more than 5 -6 innings and get the W

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
I dont have any answer but I miss my Kershaw collection. Had to sell it to afford other wants. Used to have this and about 5 more multi colored... :(

ebaytoys1662.jpg

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
same could be said about billingsley + many other good players. reality is that once a player makes the bigs, VERY rarely do his cards spike noticeably. sure, exceptions to the 'sell before callup' rule exist- like braun + longo, but more often than not, the $'s made before they hit the bigs. plus, on some cards- like supers + reds- the cards have already appreciated so much that even if someone has a phenomenal year, the % return's just not going to be huge.

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
Someone loves Kershaw.....

My Hanson/Kershaw/Brad James triple auto Tristar just sold for 130.

:shock:

Best $25 I ever spent.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Jays_Cards said:
Another dominating performance from the 21 year old and still his cards are staying stagnant. Young, big market, power arm and complete dominance lately..I dont really get why his cards are not getting any love. He just pitched his 3rd game out of the last 4 without giving up a run and he has moved his season stats to:

87.67IP 63H 88K 3.49 ERA

I guess he is going to have to throw a couple of no-hitters to get some love back...

When Rick Porcello came up, he didn't pitch especially well and his cards stayed around the same prices for about a month. Then the month of May happened where he went 5-0 with a 1.50 ERA and everything started to move up. Unfortunately he lost the next start, but I have a feeling that if he had been able to keep winning, his cards would have gone up exponentially with each victory.

Moral of the story: It doesn't always take no-hitters... sometimes it just takes a steady month or two of dominance to get people's attention and drive card prices upward.

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
[quote="Jays_Cards":2y0o5mi0]Another dominating performance from the 21 year old and still his cards are staying stagnant. Young, big market, power arm and complete dominance lately..I dont really get why his cards are not getting any love. He just pitched his 3rd game out of the last 4 without giving up a run and he has moved his season stats to:

87.67IP 63H 88K 3.49 ERA

When Rick Porcello came up, he didn't pitch especially well and his cards stayed around the same prices for about a month. Then the month of May happened where he went 5-0 with a 1.50 ERA and everything started to move up. Unfortunately he lost the next start, but I have a feeling that if he had been able to keep winning, his cards would have gone up exponentially with each victory.

Moral of the story: It doesn't always take no-hitters... sometimes it just takes a steady month or two of dominance to get people's attention and drive card prices upward.[/quote:2y0o5mi0]

I know the routine..That last statement was more of a frustrated "joke" than an actual statement.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Jays_Cards said:
[quote="ALL_THE_HYPE":2g0lozqr][quote="Jays_Cards":2g0lozqr]Another dominating performance from the 21 year old and still his cards are staying stagnant. Young, big market, power arm and complete dominance lately..I dont really get why his cards are not getting any love. He just pitched his 3rd game out of the last 4 without giving up a run and he has moved his season stats to:

87.67IP 63H 88K 3.49 ERA

Moral of the story: It doesn't always take no-hitters... sometimes it just takes a steady month or two of dominance to get people's attention and drive card prices upward.[/quote:2g0lozqr]

I know the routine..That last statement was more of a frustrated "joke" than an actual statement.[/quote:2g0lozqr]

Yeah I'm just sayin that's all it took for Porcello stuff to start to move. I think after the 4th win in a row stuff started ending a little higher than normal and after his 5th straight win some of his stuff had jumped as much as 50% in price (although it didn't last very long).

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
He needs to get his pitch count and walks down--way down:

June 4 v. Phillies (Loss): 5.1IP 4H 3BB 5K 105 pitches
June 10 v. SD (Loss): 2.2IP 5H 4BB 2K 82 pitches
June 16 v. Oakland (ND): 5.2IP 4H 3BB 8K 105 pitches
June 21 v. Angels (Win): 7IP 4H 4BB 5K 107 pitches
June 26 v. Seattle (Win): 6IP 5H 1BB 8K 96 pitches
July 1 v. Colorado (ND): 5IP 1H 5BB 5K 97 pitches

On the season he's pitched 87.2 innings and only given up 63 hits. But 52 walks to 88 K's. For some perspective (a bad year, I know, but close IP): Cole Hamels 85IP 107 hits. Only 18 walks to 77 K's.

That said, he's a great buy right now.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Exposfan said:
He was outpitched by Jason Hammel. Not necessarily, but in order for him to get "Love" he needs to go more than 5 -6 innings and get the W

well said

Bigfan5

Aug 7, 2008
Exposfan and Rico hit the nail on the head. Kershaw has great stuff but is still getting the feel for pitching. His walk totals and innings are not on par with a superstar as far as prices escalating. I believe he's going to be a great pitcher but much like Billingsley, once he learns to pitch instead of just getting by on raw talent he'll really excel. At that point we may see some no-hitters or possible Cy Young talk which might cause a spike. Until that time I see his cards staying fairly flat. If you've got the money and feel like taking a flyer get some of his high end stuff for a rainy day in a couple of years. ;)

dgrimes248

Aug 7, 2008
i really like the guy.................BUT....................he was hardly dominating despite only giving-up one hit. he was very wild (again) and wasted a lot of effort by not being able to throw strikes consistantly. he was in and out of trouble all day. also.......that's they way he has pitched all year. once he gets better control, he will soar and perhaps then his cards will take off.
now's the time to keep buying his cards.
Butch

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
dgrimes248 said:
i really like the guy.................BUT....................he was hardly dominating despite only giving-up one hit. he was very wild (again) and wasted a lot of effort by not being able to throw strikes consistantly. he was in and out of trouble all day. also.......that's they way he has pitched all year. once he gets better control, he will soar and perhaps then his cards will take off.
now's the time to keep buying his cards.
Butch

It looks like anyone who has seen him pitch thinks the same thing.

It's frustrating, but I have to think it is more a matter of "when" rather than "if."

I've picked up two blue refractor autos for under $150 and I'm very content on picking up more at that price.