Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What 4 products whould you eliminate next year?

What 4 products whould you eliminate next year?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aride18

Aug 18, 2008
These are my choices:

1. Upper Deck X - What a crappy product, I bought 3 packs at the card shop to see what it is. Did people really buy boxes of this suff??? Wow!!
2.. Co-signers- 'Hey here are two players in one of the 15 numbered colored parallel'...cool, its worth....nothing. I think one out of every 100 boxes are worth what you would pay for it.
3. SP Authentic - Just a very boring product for me. What exactly does this product offer? It should stick with basketball and baseball.
4.Milestones & Moments - A desperation early product. Hey, at least every card is rare. Overkill!!!!! I feel sorry for set collectors who would attempt this.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
Co-Signers - Too many parallels, none of them worth the cost of shipping to pick up on ebay.
Moments & Milestones - Too many parallels and 1/1's. Multiple 1/1's of the same card made and tons of extra 1/1 printing plates floating around. Worst part is I've built the Hanley set 2 years in a row and know for a fact they missed a card in 2007 and I'm pretty sure they missed one in 2008
SPx - Do we need 30 variations of single, double, triple jersey cards? There is no innovation left in this set from when it first came out as holograms.
Goudy - Toughest of the 4 for me to get rid of, but I just don't like odd size cards. Between this and Topps Chrome.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Tomlinson21RB said:
Co-Signers - Too many parallels, none of them worth the cost of shipping to pick up on ebay.
Moments & Milestones - Too many parallels and 1/1's. Multiple 1/1's of the same card made and tons of extra 1/1 printing plates floating around. Worst part is I've built the Hanley set 2 years in a row and know for a fact they missed a card in 2007 and I'm pretty sure they missed one in 2008
SPx - Do we need 30 variations of single, double, triple jersey cards? There is no innovation left in this set from when it first came out as holograms.

Goudy - Toughest of the 4 for me to get rid of, but I just don't like odd size cards. Between this and Topps Chrome.

+1 the bolded part.

I only picked those three because to me they get worse every year. Co-signers and spx used to be cool products but they have gone far downhill lately.

M & M is just a stupid idea for a product because it destroys the concept of a 1/1. The way I see it, if you pull a 1/1, you should be overjoyed, and more than satisfied with your pack(s)/box(es). Pulling a M&M 1/1 or even a printing plate doesn't really seem very exciting at all to me.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
Get rid of
SP Pathetic - should be a $40 box
UD suX - Out of 16 boxes, Best auto I pulled was Marlon Byrd
Co(ugh)-Signers - Parallels are fine... Just name them with easy colors!!!

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
spx - after 2006, with the exquisite redemptions and spx wbc patches being one of the better inserts i've seen from ud, it's been downhill.

ultimate collection - the last 2 years, it was just terrible looking

sp authentic - so sick of those lettermen auto patches....and this year, trapped autos does not look good at all

exquisite - this will never be a high end product for baseball because of the rc rule, unlike basketball, football and hockey. plus, the design and insert line should be better with the name exquisite. some logo patches, barrel's, real lettermens, etc

co-signers - boxer autos??

m & m - worst product ever

what i want back is something similar to the 2004 sp game used patch edition line, 2005 ultimate signatures tins, etc

dave

co signers- hey clint heres your box of baseball cards with 3 and 4th year prospect autos and a whole bunch of boxing autographs.

spx- with every pack containing 2 ken griffey jr and 2 babe ruth 1/1s the fun has left these stuff.

moments and milestones- when this set came out it was stupid now that they are into it a couple of years it is still stupid.

udx- it sux

i love masterpieces they remind me so much of topps gallery and diamond kings. i used to have a man crush on heritage but its really been a bunch of crap these last 2 years.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
So many products deserve to be on this list... How about Topps Opening Day. Talk about a waste of trees. In reality at least half the products on the market are garbage and need to be discontinued.

It's the only product that I've bought in the past two years... everything else seems pretty crappy. Even chrome has sucked.

Interesting that Masterpieces got 7% of the vote.

The artwork on these cards is absolutely incredible. The design is great. The only think I can think of that would make this product better is eliminate the stupid chase cards- the Presidential cut sigs. Maybe even the base Jersey cards too. Use that same $10,000+ you spent on those cuts and Jerseys to produce more of the ON-Card GU Patch Autographs. Get the print runs on those up to 100+. The honest truth of todays market is very few people care about serial numbering on new cards anymore (that aren't Rookies.)
One-of-ones don't mean the same as they did in early 2004. A card numbered to 25 doesn't excite anybody anymore. Artificially restricting production won't make a card truly rare. Especially if you do it a million times in one product, or even one year.

A base Jersey card of Curtis Granderson doesn't excite anyone. Even when you have a guy like Pujols, A-Rod, Santana- the superstars of current times, base Jersey cards don't add value if they take away from something better. And even when they don't take away from something better, they still don't add value. You can buy an Albert Pujols Jersey card- one of the best players of all time to this point in his career- for about $4. When you spend $60-$70 on a product... that doesn't do much for me.

The ON-Card Auto Patch cards are sweet. Keep the great artwork and make the product a value oriented product. Make it a one-hit-per-12 pack-box type product. Have that one hit consistently be a nice card- even if it's not a blow your mind card. The draw of the product is the beautiful base set, the SP's of star players, and the consistency of pulling a nice- but not spectacular- card out of each 12 pack box and building the base set.

Have it set up that every box has one of the On Card GU Patch Auto's, and every three boxes has a retired player On Card GU Patch Auto. Have that be the ONLY hit of the product. Include some SP'ed RC's of great young guys... and you've got yourself a great product in tough economic times. You make each box about $40 (about $3 per pack.)

That's how you make, in my opinion, a great product. Cut out all the fluff and just have the best merits of the product left. You don't have to build every product to cater to every collector. If someone wants to waste their money chasing after a 1:1,000,000,000,000 card this won't be the product for them. For everyone else who wants to actually have a hope of consistently getting a good card and maybe even a great- if not spectacular- card, you can finally make a product for 80% of collectors.

-Josh

Aride18

Aug 18, 2008
thenumberonemetfan said:
how about ud artifacts
it was amazing in 2005 but has gone DOWN hill since
BRING BACK REFLECTIONS

I think Artifact baseball is discontinued. Did they have it this year '08?

jetsrule4

Aug 16, 2008
personally i think products are released for different social classes. if you have a lower income you cant go out and buy a case of exquisite but maybe you can afford topps chrome which had 2 autos and plenty of refractors. but the only that have 2 go are co-signers and moments and milestones jeez takes the value out of cards

Members online

Latest posts