Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How long before people realize that the NL west isn't weak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rickzcards

Sep 26, 2008
Sin City
Still not sure why everyone thinks that the NL west is a weak division. Lets see, the Dodgers have the best record in the majors with a 51-30 record and are the only team with 50 wins. The Giants have a 44-36 record which is better than any team in the NL east and they would be in the lead in the central also over the Cardinals. And the Rockies would be right there with the leaders in the other divisions having 2 wins less than the Giants.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
Giants have second best record in the NL with the rockies 2 games back along with the cards/brewers (1-2 games back).

NL west is the east in the AL?

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
Agreed, and I mentioned this in a post a week or so ago, but individually, they have some great players as well, especially the pitching staffs. I would take a staff filled with Haren, Webb, Lincecum, Cain, Billingsley, Kershaw, Peavy, etc. any day of the week.

Obviously a couple of those guys are injured at the moment, but based on past performance, I will still take them.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
nkdbacks said:
Agreed, and I mentioned this in a post a week or so ago, but individually, they have some great players as well, especially the pitching staffs. I would take a staff filled with Haren, Webb, Lincecum, Cain, Billingsley, Kershaw, Peavy, etc. any day of the week.

Obviously a couple of those guys are injured at the moment, but based on past performance, I will still take them.
yup, look at the NL All star SP

Lincecum, Cain, Haren, Billingsley, Broxton, Bell, Marquis
:eek:

Edit: Giants have the best SP in MLB, #1 in era :p

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
MOFNY said:
In the NL it seems to shift every year. It's a close race in the Central which is fun.
The Central is weak and the close race is not fun. I'm a Cubs fan but I think the cards will win the division.

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
Pine Tar said:
MOFNY said:
In the NL it seems to shift every year. It's a close race in the Central which is fun.
The Central is weak and the close race is not fun. I'm a Cubs fan but I think the cards will win the division.
For me it is...the stros probably won't go anywhere, so the next best thing is a tight race.

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
darocker80 said:
nkdbacks said:

#2 in ERA I believe ;) Though I suppose that could still change. But right now, 2.16 vs. 2.23.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
nkdbacks said:
darocker80 said:
nkdbacks said:

#2 in ERA I believe ;) Though I suppose that could still change. But right now, 2.16 vs. 2.23.
The entire staff, not our aces :p

yes i know haren is a bit better than lincecum's right now, grr lol

cmon rockies where did your offense go against haren :(

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
darocker80 said:
nkdbacks said:
darocker80 said:
nkdbacks said:

Okay I got you. Yes, Cain and Lincecum, can't go wrong there! Haren should be winning. only 1 ER. bleh whatever. Made it to the ASG, so even if he doesn't get the start, still happy.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
nkdbacks said:
darocker80 said:
nkdbacks said:
darocker80 said:
nkdbacks said:

Okay I got you. Yes, Cain and Lincecum, can't go wrong there! Haren should be winning. only 1 ER. bleh whatever. Made it to the ASG, so even if he doesn't get the start, still happy.
Its gonna be a tight race for the CY between the three of them!!!

I would LOVE for lincecum to repeat, but haren's whip is very impressive!

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
Still not giving Haren his due eh. His stats are unreal, especially on this team. A bit off today, but his K/BB will only increase. Plus the DBacks have taken the lead.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
MOFNY said:
Still not giving Haren his due eh. His stats are unreal, especially on this team. A bit off today, but his K/BB will only increase. Plus the DBacks have taken the lead.
How many pitches did he throw, how is he out already?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Because it is.Just see the playoff records of NL West teams versus those of Nl East and Central teams.They may have good records but when it comes to nut cuttin' time...nada.

Rickzcards

Sep 26, 2008
Sin City
predatorkj said:
Because it is.Just see the playoff records of NL West teams versus those of Nl East and Central teams.They may have good records but when it comes to nut cuttin' time...nada.
This post in addition to the other one you made are the first and dumbest posts I've seen from you. The Dodgers not only beat the Cubs, a "stronger" Central team, but they swept them last year. Before the playoffs everyone was practically handing the Cubs the crown. You have not only a weak but stupid argument.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
Rickzcards said:
predatorkj said:
This post in addition to the other one you made are the first and dumbest posts I've seen from you. The Dodgers not only beat the Cubs, a "stronger" Central team, but they swept them last year. Before the playoffs everyone was practically handing the Cubs the crown. You have not only a weak but stupid argument.

The Dodgers deserve the respect you're talking about, but the rest of that division is weak.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
Tomlinson21RB said:
Rickzcards said:
predatorkj said:

The Dodgers deserve the respect you're talking about, but the rest of that division is weak.

How can you say that? The Giants and the Dodgers would be winning the East right now. Please back up your uninformed opinion with some reason and or facts.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
kdailey4315 said:
Tomlinson21RB said:
Rickzcards said:
predatorkj said:

How can you say that? The Giants and the Dodgers would be winning the East right now. Please back up your uninformed opinion with some reason and or facts.

I also think the rest of the NL is weak too, so winning the NL East doesn't mean much to me either. The other thing is, talking about records doesn't matter. Basically what you're saying is that because a triple A team had more wins than a major league team then we should think the triple A team is better? How many wins would the Yankees, Red Sox, or Rays have if they played in the NL West? Instead they play each other, the Jays, and O's.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
Tomlinson21RB said:
kdailey4315 said:
Tomlinson21RB said:
Rickzcards said:
predatorkj said:

I also think the rest of the NL is weak too, so winning the NL East doesn't mean much to me either. The other thing is, talking about records doesn't matter. Basically what you're saying is that because a triple A team had more wins than a major league team then we should think the triple A team is better? How many wins would the Yankees, Red Sox, or Rays have if they played in the NL West? Instead they play each other, the Jays, and O's.

So if wins/records don't matter then how do you propose we decide who's better and who makes the playoffs? Do you honestly think a win/loss record doesn't matter.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
kdailey4315 said:
Tomlinson21RB said:
kdailey4315 said:
Tomlinson21RB said:
Rickzcards said:
[quote="predatorkj":1mjtig53]Because it is.Just see the playoff records of NL West teams versus those of Nl East and Central teams.They may have good records but when it comes to nut cuttin' time...nada.

So if wins/records don't matter then how do you propose we decide who's better and who makes the playoffs? Do you honestly think a win/loss record doesn't matter.[/quote:1mjtig53]

Sorry, I guess I typed that assuming there would be some critical thinking done instead of scan and react. Of course the teams record matters in determining playoffs and rankings, but using it to say how strong a team is doesn't make sense if used as the only measure of strength. There are too many factors that go in to the W/L record and to isolate it without considering strength of schedule, strength of division, luck, injuries, etc...

The Durham bulls have the same number of wins as the New York Yankees. Are those two teams equals? I think the yankees would probably beat them easily, but I'm obviously uninformed and can't look at facts.

Members online

Latest posts