Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bored...throwing out a trade idea for the Yanks to land Doc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdacunha

Nov 12, 2008
Newark, NJ
Ken Rosenthal is reporting that Roy Halladay is on the market.

Would Phil Hughes, Austin Romine/Jackson and Zach McAllister be enough?

I thought this would be a pretty good haul for the Jays.

jdacunha

Nov 12, 2008
Newark, NJ
EricInCT said:
If it doesn't involve the name "MONTERO" they will hang up the phone.

I don't think the Yanks would give up both Jackson and Montero. Romine is a better all-round catcher. Montero has no position.

Hughes would head the package. To also get Romine and McAllister would be a very good deal for the Jays.

shepsspot

Oct 27, 2008
jdacunha said:
EricInCT said:
If it doesn't involve the name "MONTERO" they will hang up the phone.

I don't think the Yanks would give up both Jackson and Montero. Romine is a better all-round catcher. Montero has no position.

Hughes would head the package. To also get Romine and McAllister would be a very good deal for the Jays.

Says the Yankees fan!

Shep

timryan111

Aug 12, 2008
A trade within the division for possibly the best pitcher in baseball...don't see that happening

jdacunha

Nov 12, 2008
Newark, NJ
timryan111 said:
A trade within the division for possibly the best pitcher in baseball...don't see that happening

He also mentioned the Dodgers giving up Kershaw...i don't see that happening.

timryan111

Aug 12, 2008
jdacunha said:
timryan111 said:

If the Dodgers could sign Halladay to an extension I could see it happening. That would be a huge pickup for the Dodgers. I know Kershaw is a good young pitcher but getting Halladay greatly increases their chances of winning this year. I'm not convinced that Halladay is going anywhere though.

jdacunha

Nov 12, 2008
Newark, NJ
timryan111 said:
jdacunha said:
timryan111 said:

If the Dodgers could sign Halladay to an extension I could see it happening. That would be a huge pickup for the Dodgers. I know Kershaw is a good young pitcher but getting Halladay greatly increases their chances of winning this year. I'm not convinced that Halladay is going anywhere though.

I would be hesitant to make the deal if I am the Dodgers. Especially if the Jays want more prospects thrown into the deal. Kershaw has the ability to be better than Halladay and is 22? 23? years old.

timryan111

Aug 12, 2008
jdacunha said:
timryan111 said:
jdacunha said:
timryan111 said:

I would be hesitant to make the deal if I am the Dodgers. Especially if the Jays want more prospects thrown into the deal. Kershaw has the ability to be better than Halladay and is 22? 23? years old.

Maybe he does have the ability to be better, but right now he is definitely not as good. They want to win this year and Doc gives them a better chance in the playoffs. Halladay also has some good years left, I think if they could get him for Kershaw they would be foolish not to. I love this time of year and all the speculation and what ifs..it's great.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
jdacunha said:

I think this could get it done, IF the Yankees also agreed to take on BJ Ryan and his big contract.

skrip

braden

Aug 7, 2008
First of all, I will still be shocked if Halladay is dealt. I firmly believe ownership, not Ricciardi, will simply say to Doc, "give us an amount". Doc has always stated that he would value winning in Toronto much more than anywhere else. That said, I would not blame him for leaving after 2010. But since the Jays are set up well for next year, I think they'll keep him and go for it.

That said, if they were to deal him, you have to believe the price would be much higher than what is being tossed around here. Montero would 100% have to be included in any discussions.

The Dodgers would likely be the best fit. Billingsley/Kershaw and Loney/Kemp would need to be included for the Jays to make the deal.

As for Kershaw having the ability to one day be better than Halladay. Sure, it's possible. But it's also much more likely that he won't come close. Halladay prepares himself better than virtually any player in baseball. It's not ability alone that has got him to this level. He is truly obsessive about mental preparation. I've read stories about what Halladay does on the road while teammates are out or playing cards or watching tv that boggle the mind. He is a truly unique player.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
ballerskrip said:
jdacunha said:

I think this could get it done, IF the Yankees also agreed to take on BJ Ryan and his big contract.

skrip

It's not Ryan's contract they'd be looking to dump. He's only signed through next year. Wells is the guy they may look to force teams to take on (a la Lowell with Beckett).

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
braden said:
ballerskrip said:
jdacunha said:

skrip

It's not Ryan's contract they'd be looking to dump. He's only signed through next year. Wells is the guy they may look to force team's to take on (a la Lowell with Beckett).

hmmm, my bad. I have heard 3-4 places that the Jays want to get rid of Ryan....

braden

Aug 7, 2008
ballerskrip said:
braden said:
ballerskrip said:
jdacunha said:

skrip

It's not Ryan's contract they'd be looking to dump. He's only signed through next year. Wells is the guy they may look to force teams to take on (a la Lowell with Beckett).

hmmm, my bad. I have heard 3-4 places that the Jays want to get rid of Ryan....

Oh, make no mistake, the Jays would love to dump Ryan. But he's really only owed $15M at this point. It is still somewhat conceivable that they could move him, though most likely next year, if they eat some of the remaining contact. Wells on the other hand has approx $105M left on his deal and isn't going anywhere. Nobody will touch that money. Unless, that is, Roy Halladay comes with it.

trevordchi

Aug 9, 2008
Add me to those who think Roy is staying put. They are kicking the tires on him to see if they can get someone to over-pay. It will take a deal like the Rangers got for Tex to move him.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
trevordchi said:
Add me to those who think Roy is staying put. They are kicking the tires on him to see if they can get someone to over-pay. It will take a deal like the Rangers got for Tex to move him.

Yup. And if he is actually moved, i think there is pretty much no chance he stays within the AL east, maybe not even in the AL.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
If I'm trading Roy friggin' Halladay, I'm asking for an absolute stud prospect, or a really good young big leaguer. Halladay is the Blue Jays, the Blue Jays are Halladay, so you need to get another "face of the franchise" type player back. A Montero, Stanton, or Heyward type of player.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
Brett Keith said:
If I'm trading Roy friggin' Halladay, I'm asking for an absolute stud prospect, or a really good young big leaguer. Halladay is the Blue Jays, the Blue Jays are Halladay, so you need to get another "face of the franchise" type player back. A Montero, Stanton, or Heyward type of player.

I honestly don't even think one would do it. I believe it would take a ML pitcher and a stud prospect, or ML ready position player. That's why I only really see the Dodgers as a potential fit. Billingsley and Kemp is what I'd be asking for.

Members online