Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Beckett Baseball Magazine Hops On the Bandwagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

arod305

Aug 7, 2008
Do you get minute by minute updates about Bryce Harper? So what he eat for lunch? :?

braden

Aug 7, 2008
Jaypers said:
Never mind Sports Illustrated -- now THIS is hype! :cool: :mrgreen:

While that certainly is hype, I don't see how a regional cover of a niche magazine with limited circulation trumps a national cover of an iconic publication.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
arod305 said:
Do you get minute by minute updates about Bryce Harper? So what he eat for lunch? :?

Any need to be an ass about it?

If you don't have something to add to this thread, then don't post.

You had no motivation other than to make fun of JP with your response.

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
NECpilgrims8 said:
arod305 said:

Bet he is on the Top 3 list of trolls on the board

JP now looking back, you got a steal when you bought the Harper from me.

jlecates

Dec 4, 2008
braden said:
Jaypers said:

While that certainly is hype, I don't see how a regional cover of a niche magazine with limited circulation trumps a national cover of an iconic publication.

Have to agree here. I don't see how Beckett carries more weight than SI right now - even in the hobby. That being said I hope it does give you a bump on your cards JP.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
All In Cards said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
arod305 said:

I own that one now, Drew.

# 24/50?

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
braden said:
Jaypers said:

I was being sarcastic. Didn't think I needed to use the ~ marks this time, but.....

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
NECpilgrims8 said:
All In Cards said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
arod305 said:

I own that one now, Drew.

# 24/50?

Yes, that one, why don't you sell it now and buy it back in a year or 2. Take the money and run.

trevordchi

Aug 9, 2008
Why any of you guys still own ANY Bryce Harper cards is beyond me. No chance he lives up to his prices. Sell now and buy them back next year when he is playing JUCO ball for 1/3 the price or less. Anyone that frequents this board should know better. The only reason to still be holding is if you are rich and money is meaningless or you are greedy.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
Jaypers said:
braden said:
Jaypers said:

I was being sarcastic. Didn't think I needed to use the ~ marks this time, but.....

I'm usually quite good at picking up on sarcasm so I guess this one went by me. With how much you seem to like Harper, I truly thought you were being serious.

brianga26

Aug 7, 2008
Atlanta, GA
trevordchi said:
Why any of you guys still own ANY Bryce Harper cards is beyond me. No chance he lives up to his prices. Sell now and buy them back next year when he is playing JUCO ball for 1/3 the price or less. Anyone that frequents this board should know better. The only reason to still be holding is if you are rich and money is meaningless or you are greedy.

Or we just want a few in our collections with potential to sell. I agree his cards will dip when he is playing at the JUCO. However, the hobby buzz will still be around from people like Us. The collectors. I don't know if he will ever live up to the potential. But how many people said "SELL SELL SELL" when Lebron was coming out.. once again, CART way before the horse, but just saying...

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
trevordchi said:

I'm almost out of mine. Can't speak for anyone else.

That said, you already know how hype is by far a better seller than performance. He's already getting more than Strasburg did a year before he got drafted (thanks largely to SI), and will be in next month's AFLAC game, where he'll get even more when Topps makes their first cards of him. It's not hard to figure out that he'll be the main draw for ticket sales this year.

Braden -- I was being sarcastic with regards to Beckett.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
brianga26 said:
trevordchi said:

Or we just want a few in our collections with potential to sell. I agree his cards will dip when he is playing at the JUCO. However, the hobby buzz will still be around from people like Us. The collectors. I don't know if he will ever live up to the potential. But how many people said "SELL SELL SELL" when Lebron was coming out.. once again, CART way before the horse, but just saying...

Or maybe because we are in low enough to take the gamble?

Or because it's a part of a complete set and we don't want to sell yet?

Or because some of us actually realize that the televised AFLAC game creates a ton more hype, to people who still have yet to see him play?

or because we realize that at this point, and in the near future, Bryce Harper only has 55 total auto cards available to the entire world market?

Or because we don't need to justify why we still have them to anyone?

Choose any or all of the above for your answer....

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
brianga26 said:
trevordchi said:

Most of Lebron's cards haven't really changed much from the early days. The Exquisite is another story. Which is partially Lebron and a whole lot about Exquisite and people not really knowing how well it would be perceived.

That said, if he does win a championship or strings off a few they will go higher for sure. Just the fact that they are basically still up there in a bad economy is impressive enough.

trevordchi

Aug 9, 2008
NECpilgrims8 said:
Or maybe because we are in low enough to take the gamble?

Greed

Or because it's a part of a complete set and we don't want to sell yet?

They will be half the price when the hype fades

Or because some of us actually realize that the televised AFLAC game creates a ton more hype, to people who still have yet to see him play?

The Aflac game will not create anywhere NEAR the buzz of the SI issue. The only people that watch Aflac games already know most of the players before the teams are even announced

or because we realize that at this point, and in the near future, Bryce Harper only has 55 total auto cards available to the entire world market?

Another reason to sell now. Once he has more cards the USA won't carry nearly as much clout.

Or because we don't need to justify why we still have them to anyone?

That answer I respect, just don't understand.

Choose any or all of the above for your answer....

I guess being a budget collector my views are different from many of you that can afford to leave money on the table. You must know that his prices WILL drop when he 1) is not the next big thing, 2) has more cards to choose from, and 3) fails to live up to the ENORMOUS hype.

In my years of following sports very closely almost no one has ever lived up to this kind of hype. Every year there are a couple guys from various sports who's hype is in the clouds. The only ones that have ever lived up to the crazy projections are Lebron and A-rod. Both of whom are flawed. EDIT: maybe sid crosby has too but I don't follow hockey enough to really know for sure.

I'm not trying to make any personal attacks with my OPINIONS, I just don't understand why anyone would be holding his cards. For example, I am a HUGE Lance Berkman fan. He is by far the best hitter I have had the privilege to watch every day and I love the fact that he is 100% Texan. But, last year when he was leading the galaxy in every statistical category I reluctantly sold off my entire collection. Since then I have added a BC International Refractor BGS 9.5 for less than I sold my BGS 9s and I even sold an 8.5 for more.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
One of the perks of prospecting is that you don't have to wait until he does or doesn't justify the hype. The more he's talked about, the less the chances are that his cards will be dropping in price anytime soon. Seeing as how he currently has barely any, and even after the AFLAC game he won't have much more, this gives those who own his cards a rather large amount of time until he is drafted to decide when to unload.

Members online

Latest posts